Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Where did they go and why?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loudbang, Mar 9, 2020.

?
  1. Yes

43 vote(s)
    30.5%
  2. Yes and I know why

40 vote(s)
    28.4%
  3. No

58 vote(s)
    41.1%
  1. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Like others, I don`t do Facebook, Instagram, twitter or watch cable TV and don`t have a I phone. I love traditional Hot Rods and Customs. Technology kicks me in the gut every once in awhile. My computer won`t let me start threads or start conversations anymore. So this site is it. Why others leave, Maybe we fill find out with this thread. There is one guy on here, I have never heard a positive thing come out of his posts but they love there own car and that`s the only way to build it. The Aztec thread is a great example of negativity on this thread. Post a link. I do believe a lot of people only build cars for the fame and popularity of it and to make a few bucks doing it. Facebook gives them that thrill they are seeking. And ways to promote themselves and there business.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  2. Andrew Tebbutt

Andrew Tebbutt

I think you should relax you criteria a bit , I was disappointed, I was kicked off because I’ve put air suspension and a modern engine in my truck ,I didn’t know the rules .
    The amount of times I needed help and advise you guys would have been fed up with my posts and constant questions . But there would be more posts

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

willys36 likes this.
  3. ^The above post is just the kind that chips away at this site.
    Profile not filled out.
    Almost no participation.
    First statement: He feels the criteria should be changed.
    Second, posted off topic stuff.
    Last - Admits he didn't know (read) the rules.
    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.
    Over.

4. I dont come here like i used to, cause were not allowed to say 'fuck' anymore...
    Haha, im joking. Ryan is allowed to say fuck, so i figure its still ok.

My life circumstances changed, and i started an Instagram account because its kinda necessary in my work. Not that its helping me get back working full time.
    I will always be around here, and might even have another hot rod in my future, but i like to eat, and Instagram has got me exposure in an arena that previously was only accessible by writting letters. I love the HAMB, and ive made many friends. I neglected many along the way due to finding it hard to keep up with everyone. Then there is some sadness at the good friends i made and lost to death here, im just one guy who cant be everwhere at once, no matter how much i want to.

So what the fuck did i just say?

5. There you go @chevy57dude nailed one of the issues. Simple statement that sums up enough to drive the hambers who get it insane. Some leave

Another reason is what @Andrew Tebbutt said.

Personally my area of interests are wide, I have my favorite and it’s the hamb focus. Now I’ve done some incredible stuff that does/doesn’t but ultimately didn’t pass the hamb standards. It doesn’t make it less cool or less fun, but it’s not shared here. If Someone wants to talk about it discuss it kick it around learn about it they are forced to go someplace else.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  6. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry I do not understand this at all, will somebody please explain this to me? The format change did cause a stir, yes, but it was more because of the "I don't like change" mentality than anything. All the Boss did was rein in the pervasive post-1965 crap. Got EFI in your '50s car? Cool, just keep the hood closed and your mouth shut about it.

The format change eliminated having to post pics to 3rd-party hosting sites and allowed us to post straight from our computers. Hello? Are you kidding me? You didn't like this change? Get a grip.

OP asks a great question, I know a couple of the local guys who were active HAMBers but migrated to IG. Like it or not, IG just seems to be more hip amongst those born after 1970, for the most part.

7. This may not be the place to post.. I apologize if it's not.

Never hear from Seymour or Earl Scheib..

Hope they are doing well. Miss there contribution to the HAMB

8. silent rick

silent rick

brian bass build threads

denise's road trip adventures

just to name 2

9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I’ve been on the forum for over 20 years and am “young” and even I threw a hissy fit and was pissed 6 years ago when the format changed. Couldn’t find a damn thing or figure out was going on. I stopped using it a good chunk of time before I said fuck it and started learning the new site like I’d done every other time it had been changed.

so don’t blow it off like people didn’t leave because of that, because they did. I know quite a few actually.

10. TimCT

TimCT

I keep seeing the mentions of FB, IG and Twitter come up, and I'm kinda scratching my head when I hear that people left here for one of them. I guess if you were only ever around to follow build threads, maybe it makes more sense to follow hot rod shops on those social media apps to see the pics of what they're up to, but I wouldn't say they at all replace a place like this for information. I couldn't imagine posting a question on social media, or getting any kind of useful information out of it. Its bad enough that in order to see what Rex Rods is up to on IG, you'll inevitably come across that guy that built some high dollar 16' tall truck and then lit it on fire. Cause, you know, gotta get those likes!

11. badvolvo

badvolvo

If I am not at work, I don't even get on the computer. I expect that is a lot of why some disappear, our hobby does not allow much time to play on social sites, I'd rather be in the garage. Honestly, the only reason I do any of it is to keep up with the races, cruise ins, swap meets.

12. You Get back to work!
    :p

lumpy 63, mad mikey, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  13. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Man hate to say this but you almost have to go else were to see certain things. That would be who won the riddler award, AMBR and sema. I dont do other sites like mentioned but you have to seek info from places like Instagram or.. Now if you only drive in that tradition lane HAMB all the way. I know looking at cars that are outside my personal interest no matter what style. Some smart genius incredible ideas are out there to be put into the traditional style of cars. I wish there was a off topic car section for stuff that just didn’t fit into the jalopy journal. That would be for times showing off topic sweet cars with ugly rims but outstanding build with great ideas..

14. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree but surely the reference to Photobucket was to them holding everyone to ransom and thereby destroying the pictorial content of many years of threads? At the time of that change many threads became valueless, so I'd guess some would wander elsewhere, possibly to never return. I bet some will have simply lost faith in the internet altogether.

Chris

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  15. As far as photobucket is concerned, I try and delete my old PB images when I run across them in a old thread is they still exist on my computer. HRP

loudbang likes this.
  16. Perfect example of a high end contributor who no longer posts here. (One of my FAVORITE) Some on topic stuff, some off topic, some traditional, some cutting edge many times mixed together. All of it badass and top notch. 195B0C8F-9354-4830-8017-F70D20BE69C2.png

7310DD6D-2872-470F-BDA7-ACF310CAC0C5.png

17. I sure miss Steve's contributions. HRP

117harv, texasred, mad mikey and 3 others like this.
  18. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

If Squirrel bails out I'm moving in next door.

19. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK, I guess I need to concede your point, although I'm an old fart and the change wasn't a big deal techno-wise IMO. But it definitely was a big deal, the Mods deleted a lot of threads, I remember one in particular caused a big stir, @indybigjohn s great stock car thread was deleted for a while before finally being restored. So, good point.

Yes but Photobucket doing whatever they did had nothing to do with the format change, correct? I agree, many great old threads have lost their mojo because of missing pics, but this speaks to why the photo-posting part of the format change was so outstanding: no more missing pics.

Amen, brother! A pro's pro.

20. As I pointed out earlier, many come here without ever reading the rules and when they get their hand slapped for posting off topic subjects they question why is the focus so narrow, so why not change the rules to be more inclusive.

This is Ryan's house and his rules, it's worked for more than 20 years and I applaud him for sticking to his guns, it's his way or the internet highway.

There has been a lot of people that has left the building and there as many reason why many of us have remained.

People change and taste change, I saw in a previous reply that Traditional Hot Rod's may have been the flavor of the day when they joined, It was like several years ago when there was a high portion of men just had to have a new Harley Davidson, dealers couldn't keep them in stock, some of those guys may have been hambers and now moved on to their next hobby.

A vast majority here, especially us older farts found the hamb when we were still enjoying the older styled hot rods & customs but the big shows were focused on the latest greatest zooty flavor of the day hot rods, we didn't have a place because we didn't like the way cars were being built and wanted to go back in time when things were simpler.

Some of our members complain that the content is lacking but I have also noticed a few of these members haven't really contributed to the conversation, post something that you feel is relevant. HRP

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  21. squirrel

squirrel

It's robot season, so I've had my mind on the robot that the high school team has been building. We were supposed to leave tomorrow for Flagstaff, for our only competition this year. Found out yesterday afternoon that it's been "postponed" indefinitely due to the virus things.

So, I guess I'll get my butt out to the shop and finish putting my car back together. Maybe I'll post a picture or two.

As for why people leave....the guy who got me started here hasn't posted for a long time, I think he just got tired of the less-than-knowledgeable comments. It does take some patience to stick around, sometimes.

22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I guess I should clarify, it wasn’t the crack down on the rules. Deleting all the way of topic stuff that was getting out of hand.

the page it self changed, where all the buttons are and how it looks. Now it feels like it’s always been this way so it’s hard to remember how it was. But it was the function side of it not the crack down on the rules or even the brief separation of hot rod/ custom etc.

More to the point of the original post now that I have a minute, a lot of the “OG” guys are gone or not posting for a pretty limited number of reasons in my findings.

1: growing up. Young guys with out wives and kids now have spouses, houses, and kids. Life gets busy. If there is even time for hot rods there is often not time to post about it.

I think 10 years ago these would be the guys posting road trip stories and stuff like Denise used to because the car building part is done. Other social media is insanely easy to nearly passively do this so the hamb gets left out of the loop on that end of things.

2: growing old. A lot of those guys were old even 20 years ago. It just is what it is.

i think because of the shifting of media the hamb leans more build/ tune related. And if you aren’t building anything you’d be less likely to post.

I also know some guys don’t post builds because they are now running a shop and don’t have time to create and update a thread. Some are building at a glacial pace and feel that people dont want to follow a 10 year long build thread.

but really I think In general about the “OG” guys is the young guys have family’s and the old guys, well... you know.

23. I’m confused?
    I don’t think any of Steve’s stuff was 100 on topic. Sometimes only very small percentage of a particular project was on topic and sometimes only a small percentage was off topic. Everything in between too.

English gent’s beetle juice build was another. There was another build (forget the poster) that was incredible from one end to the other and mostly on topic build. It was a drag race car and once the required safety stuff and OT engine showed up the thread was locked.

24. The guys that got me started here was Deuce Roadster & Boones, Randy passed away a few years ago and Ken shows up occasionally, I have been told he spends most of his free time on social media. HRP

chryslerfan55, Just Gary and loudbang like this.
  25. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

Happydaze said what I didn't say...
    I have no issue with the format change and I don't need to shop for a grip. I was born with a pair.

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

I tend to follow builds of cars I like or own a mate to, and you wind up being friends of like minded people. Every once in a while someone will post stuff on an open thread like this and you read something you agree with from someone you never knew was here, all because he has a passion for a car that you somehow overlook. Bob

loudbang likes this.
  27. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like things the way they are. I don’t do Twitter or instagram and Facebook is for family and some searching.
    I read and comment on the the titles that interest me. Not nearly all for sure.
    Newer vehicles would definitely be a bummer for me. Never ending Camaros, Mustangs, Novas, etc would clog the site up in my opinion.
    The message side is good, I just need to look more often.

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG]

Is this a larger version of what an !Phone screen looks like? People are leaving the HAMB on their computer to view photos with this tiny shit quality? Bob

29. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I like hot rods. Down and dirty, ole timey hot rods. I work at a GM dealership where all I deall with all day is new garbage. The HAMB is my saving grace at work. As for why ppl leave? New/different hobbies or interests come along. I have a few hobbies but the HAMB is the one and only place I go for my hot rod fix.