Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Where did they go and why?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loudbang, Mar 9, 2020.

?
  1. Yes

43 vote(s)
    30.5%
  2. Yes and I know why

40 vote(s)
    28.4%
  3. No

58 vote(s)
    41.1%
  1. loudbang

loudbang

Was looking for a member last week and happened to look at his profile in one of threads I "Watch". Found out they have not looked in on the HAMB for about a year.

So for the heck of it I started looking at the original posters in a bunch of real good, long time running, threads I "watch" and was Shocked that a LOT, I mean a real lot, of them no longer come into the HAMB.

So anybody know what happened to people like Littleman, Fishbeck, A Pound, they WERE real popular posting good stuff and inter acted with a lot of members.

I never saw them in any "dramas" with mods or other members they just seem to fade away for unknown reasons.

Have the powers of HAMB thought about any exit polling or contacting popular members and politely asking what happened to move them off the HAMB?

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

I miss Bluto, Heaven must be a wonderful place. Bob

OG lil E, winduptoy, Tman and 14 others like this.
  3. HotRod33

HotRod33

I Know a few guys that used to be on here regularly... A couple of them say they don't like all the bullshit in the threads ... A couple of them them are younger ... Under 50 and are more interested in muscle cars ..... And unfortunately I know of several members that have past away....

4. das858

das858

I think instagram has been a big factor ,which I don't understand because all you get there is photos. The HAMB offers infinitely more useful information .

5. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

I was thinking the other day (DANGER/WARNING) we are all going there, wherever there is and I realized the principles of physics will likely apply to all of us. #1 you cant destroy matter you can only change it, we will continue to exist in some form, carbon,gas, etc. , anyone?

6. Yup. A lot of valued members have disappeared in the last year or so, and the HAMB is worse for it.
    Pretty soon it will be a group of old guys, not doing anything, just bitching about everything.

7. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Good Thread loudbang. Most guys I have encountered throughout my time with cars has been more of a life style than a hobby. Going to shows, swap meets and cruise nights and the like. But many of the guys I have been around for years have slowly drifted to other interests and life has led them away from the hobby which to me is sometimes hard to understand. Another thing I have seen over the years are guys that seem to have a compulsive obsessive behavior where they jump into the hobby a hundred miles an hour, buy one or more cars, never miss a cruise night or car show and then suddenly disappear into another hobby or interest without warning and pour their all into something else.

8. The Hamb has always been a platform for expressing ideas and sharing thoughts, There has also been those that try to change and manipulate the rules to make them align with whatever they are building, these members become disgruntled and move on.

There are others that look for something to complain about, be it another member or a preconceived notion that a moderator has targeted them by deleting a thread, heck I even had a member recently send me a PM informing me that I am why so many members have left the building - the reason behind the great migration - I post too much. :rolleyes:

If these illustrious members left due to what I post they cut off their nose despite there face, there are a multitude of members that have far more interesting & relative information that I could ever offer, again if I am the cause they are the loser's.

Just this past weekend I was looking at my profile and the people I follow, I'm shocked to see the number of guys that I have followed for a long time have passed away, there are 8 members that I really miss.

I still believe the Hamb is the best hot rod and custom car site on the internet and the guys are always willing to help, it's true that sometimes we argue with each other but in the end we are all here because we love the community that Ryan has built, and what family ever existed where there wasn't a confrontation every now and then.

BTW, I'm not interested in facebook, twitter, Instagram. HRP

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  9. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Yes a lot of guys have left by choice or otherwise.
    And over the years I’ve seen a lot of quality people enter the hamb also.
    I too miss a lot of the older members.

10. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I really respect you all for wisdom and genuine efforts to help each other . I am sure I missed out from some insightful tech and a few laughs from characters of the past before I got totally addicted to this place .

11. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Great thread Loudbang! Couple of weeks ago, I had thought of a past member that used to frequent the board ,but has been MIA.
    He was a cool guy and had good contributions and I seemed to give his posts quite a few "likes". I recall him as a senior guy with a couple of Son's that built Hot Rods as well.

I sent him a PM couple weeks ago, but haven't received a response. I meant to start a thread on "lost members" (like the lost Customs thread) but spaced it.

I don't do Instagram but imagine a lot of the younger Rodders hit it. I agree with HRP, that the HAMB is still the best site on the web, We've had members pass away and had their Wife come post the grim news on the board. Don't know if my Wife would do the same as I've never mentioned it.

Anyone know Don? Last seen 4/2017.

"Don's Hot Rods" in FL.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/members/dons-hot-rods.8841/

12. I agree. I spent a lot of time chatting with Bluto I dearly loved that man.

I go from time to time. I give myself a time out, figure better me than the Boss ( @Ryan ).

Some of the people I know moved themselves to Instagram. I am not sure why, I guess it gave them a little more latitude with their posting.

13. Very aptly stated, this place is nothing if not addictive. :) HRP

14. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I wondered the same thing. There are certain member's posting that I always read even if the topic isn't all that relevant to me because I value their input regardless of the topic. Don was one of them. And on the other hand there are other member's postings that I tend to ignore for reasons not relevant to this thread. Thanks Loudbang for posting this.

15. Penetrator

Penetrator
    from SK CAN

I "know" Don from this site and another where he's also a long time member with thousands of posts.

He explained some time back, he was curbing his internet addiction. Once in a while, somebody will say they've spoken with him or his sons, but he never participates anymore.

16. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Thanks for reporting out to us, that's good to hear that he's above the sod!

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  17. When the HAMB format changed It kinda pissed me off. And I couldn't post pictures. and I left for a short time. Some Old people don't like change and Im one of them. If its not broke don't fix it.

18. LAROKE

LAROKE

Yeah, my friends who drifted away didn't go away mad. They just didn't want to deal with the new format. Old dogs can learn new tricks but there better be a damn good reason.

19. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

I take a hiatus from technology from time to time. My life isn't that interesting so Instagram and twitter are off limits for me. so maybe some of the folks are like me ( I hope not) but just taking a break from time to time. Joe

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  20. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

chryslerfan55, 54delray and loudbang like this.
  21. williebill

williebill

Good post, Loudbang. I've wondered the same thing, especially when an old thread comes back up to the top, and I see who's posted on it in the past.
    I know some complain, but I like seeing old posts come back. Info given is still good, and I appreciate getting a chance to read it again, or sometimes for the first time.
    I'm afraid that we lose members at times, and if they're not close to other HAMBers, or a family member doesn't post, then we never know.
    This IS a family, after all.

chryslerfan55, mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  22. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

I can’t speak for other guys. But for me life got in the way. I was off here for almost 5 years. Separation, divorce, custody battles, fighting to keep my car, and moving more times than I’d like to count. When dealing with shit like that hot rods become impossible. I can also say when you’re going through shit. It’s hard to log in here and see people doing what you do anything to be apart of. Which for me was completely impossible at that point in my life.

With that said. I’ve got a new project and I’m happy to be back.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. I watch what I am posting. I have a tendency to be a little short with people. If I discover that I am being that way more then not I take a little break.

I really don't like people generally speaking. I do have a great deal of respect for a lot of the people on the HAMB (I guess that translates to like) and better to take a break than to be an ass to someone who I like.

24. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know a couple that have moved away from the HAMB and on to the more "social network" sites. I'm still in touch with them, but they were more like observers of the HAMB, rather than contributing much.

The HAMB is by far the best site for what my interests are, and if it reaches the point where I'm too old or crippled up to turn a wrench anymore, I envision myself still being an active member here.

I'd be in the shop a lot more if it weren't for the HAMB, but the flip side is that I would probably end up doing a lot of internet searching for answers to questions that are quickly answered here, by folks that have "been there, done that".

Thanks @Ryan for hosting the best damn site on the 'net!

25. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I only come here because I like the clickity clack sound you make when typing.

Rickybop, 54delray, winduptoy and 3 others like this.
  26. If the reason is death:
    It depends on the individual members involvement/interest/gratitude, if this site has provided you with entertainment via friendships, help, contributions, etc., it would seem logical/fair to have a plan in place for when your time comes.
    With instructions surviving family members could post the information here, rather than just vanishing into the unknown (it may help with their healing process as well).
    I've considered leaving instructions for this very reason.
    Good thread loudbang.

27. Recently we lost Rich B and his son logged in to tell us about his passing although a member of the hamb and a friend let is know earlier.

I'm sure the family or friend's of long time members will make a effort to notify the Hamb should a member pass away suddenly. HRP

28. Maybe but I am not sure that is always the case. Outlaw XXX (I don't remember the number anymore) passed a couple of years ago and no one really noticed. I think that some of us have better relationships with other HAMBers than others.

19Eddy30, mad mikey, Thor1 and 4 others like this.
  29. The37Kid

The37Kid

Same here, I think you need an !Phone, too costly and I'm too old to use one. I would like to watch someone demonstrate one without obscenities. Bob

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  30. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know very few of you personally but when I found this place three years ago, it felt just like I was in the middle of all the guys that I knew back in the 60s. All the guys I ran with were 5-6 years older than I was and I learned a lot from them. A lot of you guys on here are older, not many though, and a good sized bunch of you are younger. A great many from both age groups have way more skills and experience than I will ever have time to acquire and I appreciate seeing what you do and learning stuff that I would not find any other way. Because of the jobs I had when I was working, I'm 30 years behind most of you. Every time someone on here leaves, I think about how much impact it has on this community as a whole. There's a lifetime of experience gone unless someone here has picked up knowledge from it.