Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Where did 20 years go?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Where did 20 years go?

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

AndersF likes this.
  2. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Time Flys when your having fun.

3. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I didn't make the first or even the second, but Chick and I drug our Ute towing our teardrop trailer full of stuff to the fairgrounds. We lost half the rear hatch in the strong winds near Tracy.
    I think I was shooting with my 'amazing' one meg digital camera, have to look for those shots.

4. Paul

Paul
    Editor

yes, please post those early pictures
    when you find them

there were a few guys still wrenching on old stuff around here
    but we had nothing like that for a few more years

5. Missed some of the early shows, but amazing how Billetproof has grown and what it become. I think my first one was the "Dust Bowl" at Livermore Rodeo grounds, was that 2002?

For Jay, don't forget the offshoot Asphalt Invitational shows.

6. Tommy Wren

Tommy Wren

the best BilletProof was when you held it at the bowling alley.

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks starting this Cool events(s). are you and Kirk going? early pics would be appreciated. will be going this Sat as spectator.

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I think the first one I went to was in Oakland near the water somewhere.... I was at a company picnic and saw a bunch of cool cars and guys doing tug o war. so I abandoned the picnic and went to the car show

9. justanotherguy

justanotherguy

BP entry 1 for Stude cpe sml.jpg Wow, was it in '97? I brought "Stella". I don't think I have any event photos of that year. I remember having to take off early before the awards. Brian brought my "Best Orphan" trophy to me later that night. Good stuff, and we became friends because if it.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    Jive-Bomber likes this.
  10. I would have liked to have gone to one of the first Billetproof shows. I go to the Michigan show and its ok, but some billet laden Camaros still make it in.

11. Curt Six

Curt Six

Back on the east coast I read about Billetproof in Gearhead, prompting me and my friend Kevin to totally copy you guys and host a show called Rumble in the Alley (about a dozen hot rods, a lot of beer, and a bunch of bands playing inside the bowling alley on a stage straddling the center lanes). That show morphed into the Mobtown Greaseball, and although I stopped being involved with it after about five years, it is still a pretty popular show here in Maryland. Point being, Billetproof was a really cool idea that had influence on a lot of people.

neverdun likes this.
  12. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I remember... that and the mag Continental Restyling..but then again I had a fax machine then too.

autobilly likes this.
  13. jim snow

jim snow

I do miss Kirk' s humor here. Snowman

autobilly likes this.
  14. Where does the time go?I can deal with getting older it just all the aches and pains now. Boy do I wish I had some of my old cars back .Like the old buick back when I had hair. LOL. Bruce. img702.jpg

15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Billetproof #1 or #2: Crazy George and Mikey Smith were 'mixin' it up' next door in the dirt lot, Mikey in his '32 Fiver and George in his '32 sedan...Got some good rooster tails in, just Dust City!
    Here came the Sheriff, broke it up...Next year it was re-located...
    Roadster was all apart, my F100 had the engine out. Wife Joey and I sneaked into the far side of parking in our BMW 5.....:(

16. GZ

GZ
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Detroit

Congratulations and Thank You to Alan and Melissa for continuing the Billet Proof tradition around the country!

17. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hello, Ryan. I remember a Billetproof run in Giddings, TX. several years ago, but don't recall more than one. Have you entertained the idea of another one in Giddings, Austin, Dripping Springs, Gruene, or anywhere in Texas ? There are mucho rides in South TX. that super qualify, including mine. Speaking of runs, is a REVOLUTION in our future ? Many members have asked around about one. Gary

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  18. I'll be there for sure, i've only missed a few years here and there.

19. Time flies even if your not having fun. HRP

autobilly and Speedwrench like this.
  20. First one I attended in Michigan was 2003(I think;the decal is still stuck on a display case in my shop)and had a ball. Haven't missed one since.Last time I saw Kirk he was on a cross country tour and wound up in Tecumseh at ididit. Surprised as hell.

21. I missed the first one but made it to #2 and just about everyone since. Have watched it grow bigger and bigger. You guys really started something that at the time of inception was pretty damn unique. You deserve all the credit for kick starting it, and its continued success is a testimony to your original vision. I'm glad I have been able to watch from the sidelines.

22. TRuss

TRuss

Is that Steve Seller's famous old shoebox pre flames in the first photo?

23. rkldesign

rkldesign
    from Napa, Ca

I will be there with the Route Van

24. justanotherguy

justanotherguy

Yes it is!

25. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

This year was my 2nd "Billet Proof" and we had a fun time. So many cool cars to drool over. Too bad the dudes at the gate are getting lax with letting big wheels, post '65 cars, billet and non traditional stuff in the gate. The same thing happened in Chicago with the Hunnert Car Pile-up... before it died.
    But it's still mostly cool stuff, and hey, if you don't like a certain car, you walk by and check out the next one right?
    Hopefully they'll tighten it up and keep it pure... we'll be there next year to see!