Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where can I get "Blitz Black"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by G Griffin, Feb 4, 2005.

1. G Griffin

G Griffin

Where can I get "Blitz Black"

Thanks.
    G.

2. It is John Deere paint, so check your local JD Implement Dealer.

Farmall

3. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

don't use DP90 whatever you do

4. Lomino

Lomino
    from Dallas, TX

Yah Blitz black works real well. I have a gallon sitting at the shop. We shot my brothers truck with it.....

Attached Files:

5. Jey

Jey

does the blitz Black keep out the water?

Why not use the DP90 Stuff? (is that ppg's line?)

i am about to shoot my daily driver , good time for this question to come up. I figured i'd get flamed for posting it :D

6. John deere now has a hardener for the blitz black....part number REN 3001 , makes it much more durable

7. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

Yes, its ppg's line, and an excellent epoxy primer, but thats what it is, primer

JD blitz is a flat paint that is very durable

If you are planning on priming it and driving it for a while, you have to understand that once you put the dp90 on, you have like 24 (or so) hours to topcoat with paint, before you have to sand the primer and apply another coat. So its not really helping you in the painting process to drive in primer.

if you want a flat black, JD blitz black is where its at. Its a nice dark color and its durable. DP90 fades and scuffs really easily. Someone posted that their dog was wagging its tail and just from that it scuffed and scratched their DP.

8. Would it be a good idea to primer wiith DP 90 and then topcoat with Blitz Black for a more durable finish?

9. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

I got mine at the local John Deere dealer. 1 gallon of paint, some hardner, and thinner for around $70. Spraying it on my 32 next week.

10. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Yeah I think I'll need you to explain this one. You'll recommend tractor paint over epoxy primer. Hmmmm.. come on genius...

11. Byron Crump

Byron Crump

What company was it again that came out with the flat black for hot rods...I thought it was called Blitz Black but you guys are saying it is a JD color...what did they call the other one? Hot Rod black or something?

I should pay more attention...I know.

12. Lomino

Lomino
    from Dallas, TX

I think it was Dupont that came out with "Hot Rod" black.

The Blitz Black works great. It is way more durable than the DP90. Thats what we had on my bros truck before we sprayed the Blitz Black. The DP90 faded really fast. We have done a few of our rides in it and not had a problem what so ever. This wagon has blitz black on it also.....

Attached Files:

13. oldchevyseller

oldchevyseller
    from mankato mn

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30160&highlight=blitz

check out this thread from tech
    Read this and call Shawn below. Hes the man.
    No one knows more than he does.

Valspar Paint, Makers of John Deere Blitz Black

#1. If the existing paint is relatively good condition (ie. no peeling paint, no large amount of rust, etc) no primer is needed. Scuff sand the existing paint with extra fine grit sandpaper, wipe surface with a clean cloth and then apply John Deere Blitz Black.

#2. If primer is used due to bare metal or minor surface defects, we suggest the John Deere Buff Primer (available in aerosols, quarts and gallons). This is a very "user friendly" formulation that provides good sandability, excellent filling/sealing properties and enhanced corrosion resistance.

#3. A reducer is needed for optimum sprayability and appearance. We suggest the use of the John Deere thinner/reducer (available in quarts gallon and fives). It is formulated specifically for John Deere paints. The mix ratio is 8 parts John Deere paint : 1 part John Deere thinner.

#4. John Deere Blitz Black is an "air dry" formulation...but if you want the paint to dry faster and harder, John Deere has a hardener in their product line. It is available in pints. The mix ratio is 8-1-1. 8 parts John Deere paint (TY25669 or TY6416) to 1 part hardener (REN3001) to 1 part John Deere thinner (PT158).

Some more info...the exact same formulation is used in the aerosols as in the quarts/gallons. This helps with touch-ups and is critical in low gloss applications such as the Blitz Black.

If any more information is needed, please contact me. I would also be very willing to discuss any paint questions directly with Jade at Moto-Edge.

Regards,

Shawn Mahady
    General Manager
    Aftermarket Specialties
    phone 612-375-7942
    e-mail [email protected]

14. Levis Classic

Levis Classic

Thanks oldchevyseller - good stuff

15. A Boner

A Boner

Our local Farm & Fleet store sells Valspar professional industrial maintenance enamel. It comes in gloss black, flat black, satin & semi-gloss black. It costs 20 - 25 dollars / gallon!!! I don't know how well it holds up, but the price is right.
    Has anyone used this stuff???

16. Spike!

Spike!

[

I wrote to the company that makes Blitz Black and all they sent me was a..............

John Deere letter! ha ha ha ha...I crack me up.

Spike

17. krooser

krooser

My wife ran away with a tractor salesman and left ME a John Deere letter...I crack you up, too!!!

18. krooser

krooser

The Blitz Black is used as a topcoat on John Deere tractor hoods to cut down on glare and to reduce the degradation of the paint on horizontal surfaces when exposed to long periods of weathering (not many farmers garage their equipment every nite). It works.....

19. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

20. fred

fred

Do any of you guys know if you can cut the blitz black with a white and get the same duribility? Idealy i'd like to get it just to a charcoal color while keeping the duribility. Any sugestions or info?

21. G Griffin

G Griffin

22. Old thread, but has anyone tried this? Also curious about altering the color a bit - possibly a red or blue hue to the black?

23. Jones St.

Jones St.

What reducer will work w/the Buff epoxy primer?

24. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

I used blitz shit on my 48, never again. even if you use the catalyst or hardener, all you have to do is drag your finder nail across it and you have a scratch. I'll never paint flat blitz shit again, or any other flat any thing because one fuck up or run and you paint over again. It's made for tractors and they don't really give a shit what they look like.

39LOW likes this.
  25. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

I've used Blitz black on both my cars as a frame paint. The frames were sand blasted and etch primed. I used the hardener with the paint and reduced it with Zylol. It has held up very well.
    Also, I just got done brush painting the porch railings on my house with it. Dries fast and levels out nicely.

Gary