Register now to get rid of these ads!

where can I get a replacemenet bulb for sun timing light?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sealed Power, May 30, 2008.

1. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

I have an old Sun CP 7501 timing light.

I need a new bulb for it. Anybody know if they are available and where I might find one?

Thanks

2. I think you're supposed to just buy another. I have two older timing lights I got at an auction for like a buck for the pair. They don't cost very much new anymore, under $20 I think. If this one is special for some reason it may be cheaper to just get a used one somewhere and swap the bulb out.

3. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

All the new ones that I've seen at the parts stores are pretty expensive and have a bunch of computer shit on them. I haven't been able to find a cheap one that is just a plain old light.

I thought bulbs might still be available somewhere. I'm sure the one that I have is much better than anything that I could buy new.

4. i have an Acron timing light that has a part # CP 7504...part number is close , i wonder if they were made by the same company? bought it a Napa , maybe they could get a replacement bulb

5. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

Does it look anything like this ? The bulb comes out the side and looks sort of like a glass fuse. I checked with NAPA they said they couldn't get one.

Attached Files:

• sun.jpg
      sun.jpg
      File size:
      29.3 KB
      Views:
  6. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

Did you try an E-bay search for Sun electric? Theres a guy here in Michigan that has a lot of Sun parts, he always has an add on E-bay for something.

7. Its just a strobe tube. Available at many electronics outfits.

8. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

How did this turn out? I have the same model timing light and cannot seem to find the company or the bulb.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  9. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Here you go boys and girls....ABC repair ,520 E. Mc Glincy lane, Campbell CA. 95008
    Phone # 408-378-1075
    Dave

10. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

I never had any luck finding any bulbs that were a direct replacement. I tried the number Dave Lewis posted but they didn't have any either.

They seemed to think Sun was bought by Snap On and suggested that I try them. I haven't done that yet.

Any Snap On guys on here that might know?

11. jimmyv

jimmyv

Did you search for timing light on eBay. There are close to 200 right now. Starting as low as 2 bucks.

12. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

OK, I figured it out. The Sun company was bought out in the 1990's and the timing light part later went to Actron Corp out of Cleveland. Thank you Gordon Gekko. The numbers for Sun basically became the Actron numbers and the Sun CP7519 is the Actron ACP7519. Actron will repair stuff at 1 800 833 3377 if you send it in.

Actron Tech Support is where you get parts and the part we need is 0600-000-0649 Xenon strobe tube. The cost is $2.59 for the part and $5.97 shipping. Their number is 1 800 533 6127 and you want option #3. They seem on the ball and knew what I was talking about.
    Now, I could spend the $9 on a 25 year old timing light without advance and be OK. But I thought about it and decided to buy a new Actron timing light from Amazon for $70 that also has advance and a tach built in. Seems like a better idea. I'll hang on to the old light and eventually find one of those Xenon strobe tubes and all will be OK again. Case closed.

Now, to better use it find me a partially partially built '26-'27 Ford or maybe an A that the owner has lost interst in and I can get a good deal on. Maybe even a '32 or so that's a deal or partially built. I also need a registration --only--for any Ford from '06 to 1932.
    Cheers.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  13. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

Wait--I now have the real answer of where to get a new bulb for an old timing light. The answer is "it doesn't matter" because the new timing lights are so superior the old lights are mostly obsolete and not worth the effort.
    As mentioned in the prior post, I bought a new Actron digital timing light with advance and a tach built right in and it is way beyond what I expected. The timing advance is worth it because that the best way to time a typical vehicle. Just look at the beam while at 2500 or so RPM and it tells you. No tape needed. And the tach is handy since that is an integral part of setting the timing. Just look at the secreen.
    Technology takes us forward and while I plan to keep my old light until I find a bulb I plan to sell it then to someone who wants it. That's my story.

14. curlytopp

curlytopp
    from Minnesota

Go to shopgoodwill.com there is a sun tune up kit from the late 80's up for auction. it comes with carrying case,timing light,cylinder tachometer,compression guage and engine vacume gauge. the auction is over 10/11 and it is at $13.00 now and the item #5314122 . wouldnt it be kind of funny if a handy house wife found your solution. Just teasing you boys. good luck

15. curlytopp

curlytopp
    from Minnesota

:p
    :eek:

16. g3engr

g3engr

I had the what I thought was the same problem. Turned out that Sun Pro Part of SPX 1-800-344-4013 has a flash tube but its not the same and would require being soldered in place. I have a friend that has a cheap timing light made by Dixson, Inc. of Grand Junction, CO that uses the same flash tube. their number is 1- 970-242-8863. I found that mine was not making contact properly with the gun contacts. The flash tubes do not have a filament and show as a open when read with a resistance meter. You will need to remove the three screws that hold you gun together to facilitate repairs. I've had to replace the inductive pickup several times over the years and the repairs are fairly simple. Long story short. It's probably not the flash tube as they last longer than we will unless broken. If so Try Dixson, Inc.

17. newtonius67

newtonius67

Here's an update on the Sun 7501 repair possibilities. I ordered the bulb 0600-000-0649 and this bulb is not even close to what is required in the 7501. I contacted Actron and they do NOT repair Sun timing lights. An actron tech told me most of Sun was bought out by Snap-On. I contacted Snap-On and they do NOT list repair possibilities for the 7501. Therefor I'm at an end as to how or if the 7501 can be repaired. In the meantime I have purchased a new timing light--------Innova Digital Timing Light 3568------as recommended by a search for the top 7 lights available. I've used my friends light with the digital timing function and they are far superior in function to the older lights like the 7501. I'll still repair my 7501 if I am able to find a solution as opposed to throwing it away. That's what our generation does. Good luck to ya'all out there !!!

18. Thanks for the update. If you find out more could you be so kind to keep the info going. I have three of these timing lights. I ended up with my brother's and my dad's along with my own. Mine has always worked when I've needed it, but theirs were hardly used and don't work. Maybe they weren't such a great product at the time, but I've had other guys drooling at the sight of one.