Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Where Can I Get 16" Wheels Like This?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4woody, Oct 2, 2016.

1. 4woody

4woody

I want a wheel that will take a stock '60s Mopar dog dish cap, or a no-logo cap.

It needs to be 16" because 15" won't clear my brakes, and have outside nubs for the caps. Bolt pattern is 5 on 4.5.

Pictured is a '60s Mopar pickup rim that would work, but only comes in max of 5" width, and are very hard to find.
    My dream rim is an inch or 2 wider than this, but I'd settle for the 5" I guess:
    [​IMG]

This is the kind of look I'm after:
    [​IMG]

Wheelsmith says they can't make it.
    Stockton wheel says they can make it for $235ea unpainted, but if I have to spend that much I may look at something else entirely.

Suggestions?

2. F&J

F&J

We have a 69 340 Dart here with those small caps. The cap size itself must be the issue with Wheelsmith's answer.

They are unique as far as diameter at nubs

That would be the problem of finding a center that will work on a 16" hoop. Did you not plan ahead when you did those brakes, or I suppose they were there already.

If those caps are priority one, can you do an affordable brake change?

one last desperate move if possible: If you could locate repro 16 smoothies that never come with nubs...if you could ask the size of the "dome" to see if your cap would look OK with their dome, then do your own nubs...it's been done for decades

3. Squablow

Squablow

Late 40's and early 50's IH pickup truck wheels are 16" with 4.5" pattern and I think 5" wide, and they will take early Ford caps (40-48 car, up to '56 truck) and you can get plain baldy caps to fit those wheels so they'd work. They're not real easy to find though either.

40-47 Mopar wheels are 16" and 4.5" pattern but they're a bit narrower I think and you'd have to modify the hubcaps to fit, you'd have to attach the inner ring piece from some early Mopar caps into your later caps so they'd fit in with clips. More work but an easier to find wheel.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. grimmfalcon138

grimmfalcon138
    from az

What about these? Factory chrysler 5x41/2 15". I don't recall the width, i cut and widened/ narrowed mine. 20150726_151932.jpg

5. grimmfalcon138

grimmfalcon138
    from az

Forgot to mention, found them at a local Wrecking yard for $50 each.

6. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

What are you putting the wheels on? Chrysler used tons of bigger wheels in 15" all the way up to a 15x8 on ramchargers and traildusters in the 70's. Dodge and plymouth cop cars got 15x7 wheels. The super coupes from the late 70's got a 15x8 and some chrysler cars also got 15x7 wheels too, all with a 5 on 4 1/2" bolt circle.

Cliff Ramsdell

7. Squablow

Squablow

He says in the first post that 15" diameter will not clear his brakes.

8. Bro....kinda wonder what brakes he's running.....can we get some info on that ? The first wheel looks like an early mopar 15" wheel....not like the later cop wheels that was in - grimfalcon's post....

9. 4woody

4woody

Thanks to those who have responded.

I have some of the right style 15" Mopar steelies (as shown in Grimmfalconl38's photo) here, but the front brakes are 2006 Crown Vic and the 15's don't fit. The CV rotors are a bit over 13".

This is on a '59 Dodge truck. The front clip was already done when I got it, and the P.O. actually did a pretty nice job.

Re the caps: those exact caps are not a requirement, but I did want a "Bottle Cap" style poverty cap that fits over the nubs as opposed to a smoothy style.

10. 4woody

4woody

11. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I had 4 , 16 x6 from a Dodge W100. Tossed hub caps wheels and tires . I could not give them away with free summer air installed ! Mine were from a 79 W100 power wagon . 7.50 x 16 snowtires

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. 4woody

4woody

Well at least now I know they exist. I guess there aren't too many people looking for them...
    I would have thought Ford did something like this, but they seem to all be the wrong bolt pattern.

13. grimmfalcon138

grimmfalcon138
    from az

Just re-read the first post. Sorry, I must have missed that the first time.

14. If you get some centers you could get them welded into some hoops.
    I know it's far from you but try here, it's worth a shot and some info:
    Collins Wheel
    (562) 630-6546

15. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

I understand that but the early mopar wheels won't clear disc, drums only and he didn't state what brakes he was running.

I was offering some Mopar wheel choices that work with disc brakes not knowing he was running a crown vic suspension clip.

16. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

OK, Cool truck, like the look. How about some of the ford wheels from the crown vic cop cars, what kind of choices are there? Maybe a no logo cap on them.

Cliff Ramsdell

Stole this off the web.

[​IMG]