Register now to get rid of these ads!

where can a guy find a roof filler panel for a t coupe?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dr.Theo, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Dr.Theo

Dr.Theo

anyone have any ideas?

2. thewishartkid

thewishartkid

Damn near any sedan roof will have plenty sheetmetal. I used a 55 chevy roof on a 27 coupe one time!

3. hotrodchevy

hotrodchevy

My buddy used van roof had nice wide bead chanels looked good finished

4. hvychvy

hvychvy

Isn't a T roof flat? From stuff that I've seen,looks like they wrapped a piece of plywood in vinyl,and mounted it on top.(I'm not trying to be a smartass either):)

5. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

I cerrage bolts bolted hardwood around the edges then glued and screwed good marine 3/4 inch plywood ,sanded ,filled the imperfections and clear coated it.Thought I was the only one until a T coupe showed up at colorado Goodguys show done the same way.Looked great.Like hevychevy said you can cover it and give it a clean look.If you lay flat sheet metal it looks too sharp around the edges.The wood can be sanded round to give it a smooth look.I varnished the inside also .You could also add candy flames or scalops under the varnish.

6. ltex old iron

ltex old iron
    BANNED

yup 3/4 inch plywood with vinyl wrapped around it is what i did with mine...flat roof easy deal

7. Dr.Theo

Dr.Theo

yeah, the plywood top was my first thought, but i was afraid it would look hokey, the plan was to do half or 3/4 treated wood with a thin layer of uhpolstry (spelling?) foam on the top then wrapped in vinyl to give it a nice rounded look, and silicone around the edges with some mounting brackets underneath

if going this route the paint / color scheme was gonna be flat black with white / of white scallops and a white / off white vinyl top

the nextquestion is what to do with the windshield frame, get rid of it,or is there a way to cut it down

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  8. hvychvy

hvychvy

I've heard of guys cutting the header panel down,while doin a chop.

9. Dr.Theo

Dr.Theo

that would only give you a couple of inches though i think, and i am planning on a fairly low chop, baiscally as low as i can go and sit in it

10. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

I cut 2 inches out of my header panel and made a short visor so it won't block view too much.You could go more and eliminate the header.I made my own windshield frame and used a piano hinge .My ws frame was missing .Speedway sells a aluminum frame if you need one.You could cut a groove around the opening and make a channel to urathane in a solid windshield. I personally like the swing out windshield that way when cruzin ya can get air in and hear the bad ass motor rumbling.Also if you drive it a lot you may have to change glass someday and its easier if the frame comes out.

11. hvychvy

hvychvy

Take a couple of inches out of the header,then cut the rest off your a pillars.