Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Where are you getting your plug wires?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazy Steve, Jun 13, 2019.

1. guitarguy

guitarguy

Call Taylor and talk to them. They will probably put a custom 8 wire build your own set together for you with the correct spark plug ends you seek. See if they will sell them for same price as Summit sells a set for too....Sometimes buying direct from a manufacture costs more.

I had an engine tip over on a test stand and it smashed a couple of plug wires and the holders. Even though I had to pay for them (obviously my fault), both Taylor (wires) and Made For You (wire separators) were awesome companies to talk to and deal with. Now that I think about it, I think Made For You took pitty on me and sent the replacement parts gratis. Either way, they both have a customer for life.

2. guitarguy

guitarguy

I never buy a premade set any more except for my daily drivers---and those I only buy factory wire sets.

Those premade sets always seem to have wires that are too long, or too short with about 3 that fit right. Plus when you want to run them in a certain way...well, of course you have to go the build your own route. Its so easy to do, you don't need a super expensive crimper (although keep in mind you get what you pay for....but if you plan to only do it once or twice..). It is the only way I build wires and have for the last 25 + years. Its one of those things, once you know how to do it, you'll be wondering why you never did it before.

A little silicone lube or WD40 goes a long way to helping the boots slide on.

3. I always try to get them with 1 end done. I got a 135* plug-end set for my SBC, all I had to do was terminate the cap end, which needed conventional old style boots since it was a small-body HEI cap. The boots I got from Summit, believe they are Accel.

4. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Does anyone know if Brillman is definitely open on Saturdays??
    I thought too late to call today.
    I would hate to waste a 3 hour trip.
    We all know what happened to the SS Minnow!

5. Website says open Mon through Friday 8 - 5.
    My. Jackson, VA

Phil

6. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One thing I would like to add. I bought a specialized tool from Amazon.com that is designed specifically to handle spark plug wires. It has a proper wire stripper (that works for both solid core and resistance wire) and a crimper that does plug ends right. It was one of the best purchases I have made.

I will never buy another set of (ill-fitting) "Custom-Fit" plug wires again.

7. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks...saw that. But on one of those advertising sites, it did show Saturday hours. Left them a message. Guess I will have to wait to see if I get a call today.

8. brianf31

brianf31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's what I have on my 351C. Pardon the messy routing.

overhead view.jpg

alphabet soup likes this.