Register now to get rid of these ads!

When You're Taking Pictures, Don't Do This...

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by monsterflake, Aug 31, 2011.

1. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

All I had to do was google "batman angle" and "Biff" "Kapow", here they were :)

2. Only slightly less iritating are the pictures taken from earthworms-eye level! Really, who lays down on their belly to look up at a car? I know your car is low, but you don't have to put the camera on the ground and show me that there's no daylight underneath it. Just take the picture from adult human eye level - they way I would see it if I walked by it!

3. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Ummm...hot rods and customs are ART! (the hamb is full of "art")

I guess we should get rid of the friday art show while we are at it...

4. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

would of been better back a few feet I think and on a tall ladder. straight up .... anyhow very kool pic , and this whole thread is all personal opinion, its the spice of life, or all of us would have red 32 ford roadsters !

have a great day guys and gals

5. Tman....Great Link and a little deeper look at that page will bring up links to challenge the rule of thirds....all great stuff. The point seems to be that things like angled shots, HDR, and whatever else you just discovered, needs to be applied sparingly or the shooter quickly becomes a "one trick pony".....What was intended to be creative, gets really boring very quickly....Multi-Featured cameras and photoshop do not the artist make.....there's always room to learn..............Thanks........

6. Special Ed

Special Ed

Hahahaha... you just made my point! Thank you! Yes, That's EXACTLY why there is a specific place for "art", and a Friday Art Show!! :)

7. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Looks like my mother in law took those pics. :)

8. I don't mind the 'Titanic half sunk' angles, I don't mind the worms eye view, but I do get pissed off with people who explain that they went to 'the best car show on the planet' 'best cars ever' etc etc then proceed to list 500 photos of tiny, tiny... friggin' tiny details of each car... reflection of the photographer in the chrome of the hubcap, the hood mascot from 2 inches away, the idiosyncratic wierd oddity hanging from the rear view mirror. Yes I know chrome is shiny... just show me the whole sodding car too! If i wanted to look at tiny random bits of old cars I'd kick through the dust in my local junk yard thanks! ;)

9. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

I think it would be great if every pic was taking from the same angle straight shot of the side of the car. Always standing erect. My Lord what a wonderful world that would be! This thread got old fast.

10. I don't understand the problem?

<------------------------

11. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

do this dont do that, cant you read the sign

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

tall ladder would be cool. it might get a bit heavy walking around the drags for 8 hours taking pics. I had to crop this one tight to get rid of some other stuff. this was in the staging lanes at the drags... there was a lot of junk going on in the original photo

13. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

The only thing wrong with this picture is my last name is NOT on it!:( Oh...and it's tilted.;)
    Thanks fink.

14. Deuces

Deuces

The only gripe I have is the way some of you guys post your pictures..
    How about using this site's manage attachment file to post those???
    The "'click on" pics load up faster....
    Thank you!! :rolleyes: :D

Here's an example:

Attached Files:

15. slammed

slammed

Amen. Some of these jokers are in for a rude awaking when they enter the nursing home......

16. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Hahaha no shit!:D

17. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Well, looks like I got my angles decent in my avatar. Just don't call the lighting police on the dappling.

18. Deuces

Deuces

That angle shot remind's me of this one.... :D
    I love it!! :)

Attached Files:

19. Harms Way

Harms Way

Hey guys,.... relax,... It could be worse,.. these guys might start taking car pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Four pages of bitching and then it's nailed!!! I don't so much mind the angled shots, although a three quarter view at a flat angle would be my preference. What does drive me bananas is the artsy fartsy tiny detail shots that seem to be so "hip" right now! Nothing makes me crazier than to see a shot of a wheel and tire framed perfectly in a fenderwell, and no F**KING picture of the whole car!!! I have been looking at tires and wheels (and all other things hot rod) for the better part of 40 years... Iknow what they look like! I have them in my shop. Without being part of a finished whole that is done well, they're just disembodied parts. The car guys do this quite a bit, but if you want to make your self nuts, look at some of the chopper small mags out there. Hot rods and bikes are NOT art, they are an avocation, or a vocation...

21. Damn we're weld critics who can't weld, body critics who can't do body work, fabricators who can't fabricate, and now photo critics who don't take photo's. I'm just glad someone takes the time to post photo's of event's I can't make it to even if I don't agree with all of them.............

22. 117harv

117harv

Yes you did, just enough sky and foreground, great pic and the ride:)

23. dirtydixon

dirtydixon

Everyone is a critic.

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can handle a few of the angle shots and maybe there was a reason for them such as that being the only way they could show the car without the ot car or the junk the people in the car beside it had sitting around.
    What drives me nuts is one "photographer" in particular who takes photos at events in the PNW every week and then distorts the photos into something that makes ones eyes ache.
    I've taken probably five thousand photos at car shows over the past 40 years and a lot of the early ones were pretty bad and left a lot to be desired. At least now with the digital and a few photo album aids I can crop a photo to cut out stuff I don't want to show and resize the photo so it fits the page.

25. dirtydixon

dirtydixon

26. monsterflake

monsterflake

i purposely did not use any pics from the hamb. this series had left/right/straight shots all mixed in.

spike, mazooma, the deadend guys, and big al should be included in my (way too short) list of people that can take 'artsy' shots right.

if you're trying to get another britney spears beaver flash, go right ahead!

[​IMG]

27. Deuces

Deuces

Please!!! No pics of that skan... Naaaa I won't say it.. :rolleyes:

28. Yes, I saw that link as well. Knew it would come up;) That was the first site I had in my search and it was a good one!

Fact is, there are some awesome photogs here. Fact also is that real talent can bend the rules a bit. The rest of us just need to try and get the whole car in the frame and no people walking in front of the camera!:p

The irony is that my wife and I also studied photjournalism in college and I seldom take a picture anymore!:eek:

29. But this is an example of Dutch angle, not really Rule of Thirds - at least that's the way I remember it from Photography School.