Register now to get rid of these ads!

When you were a kid.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ghastly, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Ghastly

Ghastly
    from DETROIT,MI

Was there one defining moment when you knew you had hot rods and kustoms in your blood? Who influenced you to be into the stuff your into? These do not have to be famous builders just everyday guys. Maybe it was that old guy in the sub that had cool hot rods or bikes or a realitive let's here some stories.

2. My Dad. He bought a 40 Chevy Coupe in 1957, I was born in 1958. He still has both of us. Here's some pictures of his car from a Street Rodder feature done in Dec. 1974, and a picture of both of us from 2 years ago. The car hasn't changed, but we have.

Attached Files:

3. I Drag

I Drag

No defining moment and no friend or family influence.

I am told that by 2 years old (born in '62) I could identify the different cars on the road by make. Spent hours playing with matchbox cars that early.

All I can figure is that I grew up in a golden age of the automobile's influence in American culture and I picked it up there.

My dad was just into fishing mostly, not cars.

I really wonder about this from time to time.

4. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

well some people were born with silver spoons in their mouths..i was born with a camshaft in one hand and street rodders magazine in the other..sorry mom

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. so.ill.

so.ill.

that would have to be my dad, he always had a rad old ford pick up around. a couple of model a's that my mom hated and 53 F-100 He had the longest. and early 70's step side ford that was dookie brown i almost got the chance to buy back. its his fault im into this stuff so i make him help me when i can't fiqure something out. i let him take my 60 f-100 out for a spin after we did my brakes last week and he tried to hide it but you could tell he was in hao heaven.

6. Steve N

Steve N

In many ways it was my grandparents. I lived with them as a child. My grandfather was not a hot rodder, yet he rebuilt and fixed everything. I was interested in cars from as far back as I could remember. I literaly learned to read by having my grandmother read me, and then teach me to read from Hot Rod magazine in the early to mid 60's. I learned to read prior to being in kindergarten. I built models when I was in my single digits, and when I was a teenager I found by having that base of reading everything I could from a very early age, do damn near anything on a car. Or at the very least wasn't scared to attempt it. Though my tastes have changed, and often changed back over the years, being involved in cars has been a constant.

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

also born and breed in the motorcity must have had something to do with it too

8. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Guy on my paper route restored a Model A roadster in his carport. Every afternon Id stop and talk to him. That and discovering my first 59 Hot Rod magazine with the new Pontiac on the cover in the Jr High library at the same age of 15. Hooked ever since

9. my old man used to beat me with an adjustable spanner. jk.

10. My parents. They grew up in Orange County in the 60's. Dad and his brothers were surfers. I still love hearing the stories and seeing the pictues. Dad did carpentry work and painting at places like Knotts Berry Farm. He restoed a 46 Mercury sedan that was sold to a movie producer. Dad believes thay used it in The Godfather, he says the guy told him that he was looking for original or restored cars of that era for a very large production that was in the works. The movie came out about a year later.

11. luciomduran

luciomduran

When I was a kid, I was big into Lambroghinis and such. One day my Grandfather sat me down and said to me "these are real cars forget about those gull-winged things." He showed me a photo album and told me about how him and his friends would go down to the farms around Colorado and "find" bodies and frames of old cars and bring them up here to hot rod and customize. In the photo album were pictures of all of the cars he had owned. A 1950 Mercury custom, a 1955 Chevy custom, 1936 Ford Pickup and so on. My grandfather went into WWII when he was 14, was jumping out of planes at 15 and got out of the service at 18. He said that when all of his friends were going in he started fixing up cars to get the attention of all of the girls that were left behind for the service. You hear stories like that and you can't help but get hooked into this sickness we call hot rods and customs.

12. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

When I was a kid I took apart and put together every mechanical object I could get my hands on, I fucked up a lot of shit, still doing it today.

13. There was a guy at the end of the street that had a 23 bucket. Also my friends dad was a shop owner. Then there was Roger, Steve and Eric Hendrickson, they are a corruptive bunch.

14. Mopar34

Mopar34

I guess it finally came to me that I loved hot rods while sitting in my a high school class in 1961 looking at a hot rod magazine between the pages of my algebra textbook. Soon after that I took up drawing roadsters, 'T's, and sedans. I was hooked, at least on paper. Don't recall actually ever seeing a real highboy or T until several years later when I moved to the big city to go to college.

15. Bphotrod

Bphotrod
    from da U.P.

I was 11-12 and the next door neighbors son came home with a 1972 Cuda, black on black 340 4speed with Cragar SST's. Easily the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. He proceeded to run the poor thing into the ground, makes me sick to this day. After that I was hooked on anything with a motor.

16. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Growing up around my house was CORVETTES CORVETTES CORVETTES, for the longest time we had to drive 2 cars to church cause all dad ever had was vette's.I grew up in Covington KY across the street from Larry Kremer in the 70's he was always building some bad ass cars he was and still is a bad ass car builder..Then My dad ran with another guy from Ohio named Ken Borest, I have a pic in my tool box of him and my dad taking the body off his 5 window coupe.. He also was a bad ass builder...Then John Garrard (corvette builder) He and his brothers were always building something rad great painter's,my dad and him joined forces to do they're own thing. I have had several in my life and greatful for all of them from what I've learned from each and everyone......

17. wyoming

wyoming
    from My house

sounds kind of funny but handing my dad wrenches while he rebuilt the v12 in my grandmas xke

18. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

I honestly don't know where my love of hotrods comes from. My dad wasn't into cars at all, and my older brothers preferred newer stuff, like the musclecars that were coming out in the late 60's. But for as long as anyone can remember, I was into old cars. My first Hot Wheels car when I was 5 in 1968 was the Hot Heap t-roadster. I always got the hotrod ones, not the muscle cars or fantasy creations.

I remember a few rods from my days growing up in Dauphin, a small Manitoba farm town in the early 70's. There was a chopped/shortened/fenderless white A sedan that ran around, and a burgundy over black '40 Ford Deluxe coupe with Keystone Classic mags and a killer rake. In a town by the camping area we used to stay at alot (Clear Lake) there was what I think was a channeled & fenderless Deuce roadster with a small-block for power. It was orange, and if anyone has pics of it or these other cars. I'd kill for a copy.

Late in the 70's a friend and his dad built a cool little '27 Essex 1/4 pickup. I didn't help much with it, but I got to drive it a bit after I turned 16 and got my license. It was the first real hotrod I got to drive. He still has it, but it's been parked for about 20 years. He made me an offer I can't really refuse, so if everything goes well I'll be buying it next spring. :D

19. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Did the milk man drive a slammed Divco?...............sorry:D ...hope you have a sense of humor?

20. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

I would love to see some old pic's of Larry Kremer's, Ken Borest's of John Garrard's car's if anybody from the Cincinnati area has any..John built a Blown yellow vette in 75 that was in Popular Hot Rodding, CAr Craft and such was a total 70's custom....

21. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Thats funny shit!

22. whatever

whatever

i guess since for ever never really thought of it we were always in somebodys garage

23. fleetbob50

fleetbob50
    from Waco,Texas

My older brother had the trifecta of 32's around the house on blocks when I grew up. A Vicky,a three window coupe and the Cabriolet street rod that I own now. In high school an old classmate of his from Temple,Tx, the late Charles Pehl, influenced me greatly. And since I never grew up there have been countless others since that I have gleaned something from.:D

24. I Drag

I Drag

LowBudget; ya gave me a big chuckle. It's all in fun.

But seriously, I don't know why I've always been so into cars, where this came from. It's like it just fell from the sky and hit me, and missed all my friends and family.

We did have milk delivery come to think of it...

25. A-zonie

A-zonie
    from Mesa, AZ

Dad brought home a beat up Model A Town Sedan one day in my very early teens and told me my job for the summer was to sand it down so he could paint it. Thought he had lost his marbles but it wasn't long before I was doing pencil sketches of it as a rod. Learned to drive in that old Ford in the back yard. He never did finish painting it but managed to get a coat of primer on it. The ol' man passed on and left me the A so I'm finishing it for him. Haven't done a lot of the work on it but 'dad' will be stunning when he rolls out of the shop. Not completely stock but not very far from it.
    Picked up a '29 Tudor that will be worked into an A-V8 in the next couple of years so hopefully we both will have gotten what we ultimately wanted.
    Done care if it's restored or highly modified, just drive tha damn thing!

26. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

Not real sure....my brother had a 48 Anglia gasser sitting in the driveway since I was about two........but I am more of a Kustom guy, so who knows. OH, I remember.....I saw Jimmie Vaughn's 51 and Mike Young's 60 when I was in junior high at a show and have been pretty much been obsessed ever since.

27. Gummi Bear

Gummi Bear

I had more tools as a little kid than most folks will ever own in their life...

I was taking apart everything in the house by 3, including my little brother's crib (I wasn't allowed to lift him, so I dropped the bottom out so I could play with him), my tricycle, and my wagon. My tricycle was the first, and maybe the only ever to have a trailer hitch to tow my wagon like Dad towed trailers behind his truck.

I spent weekends with my grandparents, my grandfather was a scavenger, we spent countless Saturdays at junkyards, salvage yards and other people's properties looking for treasures. When I was about 13, he found a 48 Chevy 5 window pickup in a ditch, and picked it up from the owner for me to have. The plan was for us to fix it up. One weekend while we were out fishing, grandma was mad at him and sold it (which I never really forgave her for) Anyhow, I used to help him in the shop with whatever project he was working on (he was a welder by trade) or play in any of the old trucks in the back lot. I drove around the world in them, spending countless hours fantasizing about how cool these old trucks were to me, and how much fun they are to drive.

Neither of my folks were really into cars. Dad was, until he got back from 'Nam, then he lost interest in them, he stuck with rodeo and motorcycle racing until I was born though. Mom thinks my obsession with anything mechanical is stupid, Dad can appreciate it, but really couldn't care less.

28. raven

raven

Well the story is told like this.
    My dad souped up everything he could get his hands on. Shortly after he returned from overseas service, he bought a '60 Starliner with a 390 and a three speed. Of course he did his magic on it and soon my mom got the wheel duty. She was serveral pounds lighter and that means faster on the strip. She continued until the sixth month of her pregnacy with me, winning and shutting out a local 'professional' racer that quit when he found out that it was a girl that beat him. I guess they didn't want to add insult to injury telling him she was pregnant, too. My dad went on to wrench and tune for his buddy's '67 Belvedere with the Hilborn injected Hemi and the altered his friend eventually built. Even to this day, the sounds you hear at the dragstrip bring a tear to my eye and I can't explain why...My uncle built 'traditional' styled hotrods since they were 'in the day'. Every holiday thet we went to visit his house included the latest build update in his garage. I remember a red '30 A coupe with his own torsion-bar suspension on all four corners. I eventually lived with him a couple of times when I had no place to go and helped him in his garage, became friends with his buddies and built my own cars, just like him. He's got Alzheimer's now and his health is failing, but he still can remember nearly everything about the cars he had and built and bugs me to sell him my coupe all the time.
    r

29. hivolt76528

hivolt76528

Ay 2 My parents wer looking for me , found me on my back under the car "working on it " --been under one ever since .

30. hivolt76528

hivolt76528

Ay 2 My parents were looking for me , found me on my back under the car "working on it " --been under one ever since .