Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical When you think your finished with something and have to re-do it.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, May 29, 2019.

1. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

At 74, the second time takes longer...

2. Ziggster

Ziggster

Thought I had fixed my Katcher pressure washer last year after multiple tear downs and finally replacing the main valve. Worked fine after the valve replacement until I pulled it out this year. Same bloody valve was sticking again. Got it freed after another tear down, but now it cuts out and surges every couple of seconds. Ready to toss the bloody POS...

3. I would think the longer you own a rod or custom the more likely you will have to redo or repair something. HRP

4. 35WINDOW

35WINDOW

My Car is quickly approaching the finish line, however every time I have to fabricate, design or decide if I like a part or modification, I sit down and devise three different ways to do it, and then pick the best way-it hasn't always been the end result, but it's saved a lot of mistakes so far-

5. jazz1

jazz1

Just installed oil pan,,realized I had forgotten to torque oil pump, it was finger tight. My first tear into a engine decades ago I forgot to install woodruff key on camshaft, she no start, so doing things twice or more not new to me.

6. All you can say is good save, better to remember it now than down the road with a rod sticking ot the side of the block from lack of lubrication. HRP

3W JOHN and osage orange like this.
  7. Not hotrod related, but kinda, in a way. I've mowed with a 60-year-old Gravely L-series for most of my life, rebuilt it twice. I keep having a problem with something called a shipper shaft, which is an eccentric that shifts the driveshaft power to the mower. It keeps grinding off this little quarter-inch nub that puts it in and out of gear. I repeatedly replace this little nub, wondering why it grinds away so fast. I decided to just replace the shaft and the carrier it swivels in, the whole assembly. Unfortunately, its out of stock (no surprise for a part that goes back 80-100 years). However, as I was looking at the exploded drawing, I saw that the little nub also fits into a block that rides in the groove of the hub, which spreads the wear over about 8 times the area. Duh. So that's what's been missing, and how it should work. I can make that block with my grinding wheel and a drill press. Tomorrow morning, when its cool, I'll be in the garage measuring, grinding on a piece of half-inch square steel and fabricating this little block. Grass is getting tall!
    SECOND DAY: Spent four hours fabricating a fix, got half the lawn mowed before it went out again. Too hot to take it apart once more to find out what went wrong. I'll get to it tomorrow morning, when it's cool-ish.
    THIRD DAY: The nub wore out again. Made it a replaceable piece, finished mowing. Expect to replace it each time with quarter-inch round stock.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    3W JOHN, 1Nimrod and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  8. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

Just like when putting one more turn on that nut or bolt to make it tighter "SNAP" YEP... New project again... My wife always tells me stop before you break that... To late... New project...
    1Nimrod

9. It's inevitable. :rolleyes: HRP

3W JOHN, 1Nimrod and osage orange like this.
  10. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

You gotta be greasy wrench relative of mine......... that statement was so true.

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER, LAROKE and 2 others like this.
  11. 1Nimrod

1Nimrod

My thoughts exactly by the upteenth million time you can do that work in your sleep and with your eyes closed and in the dark and see it for years in your mind and tell other's how not to do it the wrong way LOL... Like DAD always said and like many others have "Practice makes Perfect" Son... Yes DAD...
    RIP Dad I miss you everyday---2/36-7/15---
    1Nimrod

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  12. 35WINDOW

35WINDOW

I am so angry with myself right now-I was installing the Windshield in my Car today (first time-new Windshield/Chromed Frame/Seal) and when I thought it was complete (and cleaned up) I pushed the Windshield one last time to seat the Seal (it pivots out), and guess what? It cracked! Oh well, there goes another $250 :(

13. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

If that cracked it, it probably wasn't going to last long anyway, so don't beat yourself up over it!

35WINDOW likes this.
  14. Man.. reading this thread makes me feel better... loosing my insecurities as a Hot Rodder the more I read. Thought I was the only one that had reoccurring product reliability issues with my work

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app