Register now to get rid of these ads!

When was your first time at a dragstrip?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kentuckian, Oct 6, 2009.

1. I was 19 years old and knew a girl from Ashburnham Mass. that lived near Orange Mass., where they held airport drags on Sunday afternoons.
    I picked her up in the morning and off we went to my first (with many more to come) drag race.
    It's her fault. She led me down this road.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  2. Ricky B

Ricky B

Pismo Beach Sand Natls in '73 & Irwindale Raceway the same summer for the Funny Car Natls !!! I was 16, Dunn & Reath won at IR. Don't know who won at Pismo.

Ric

3. hotrod_32

hotrod_32

1964 Niagara Dragway Niagara Falls N.Y. With my older brother,hooked ever since.

4. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

First time I was six years old. Went to the Legendary Great Lakes Dragaway in Union Grove Wisconsin.

Last time I was there was in September... Labor Day weekend, at the Time Machine Nationals... I guess you can say I was hooked ever since.:)

-Joe

5. straight8buick

straight8buick

Around 1962 at the San Gabriel drag strip. Don't know why it was called that because it wasn't in San Gabriel. They had a flag man (the name Larry Sutton rings a bell) and sometimes ran 4 cars across depending on their time schedule. I was just a spec-tator then, but after that made sure I always had a car to run in the 60's and 70's at Irwindale, San Fernando, OCIR, Long Beach, and a couple other strips.

6. Lucky3

Lucky3

14 yrs old and in Oklahoma City, Okla
    2nd track was in Ark City, Ks
    3rd was in Ringwood, Ok
    4th was in Wichita, Ks

7. olerascal

olerascal

...was on crutches due to skateboard accident.
    Car crazy in a family that wasn't.
    Convinced Dad to drop me off for the day.
    Next summer, I took Honda 90 out to spectate at outlaw drags.

Famoso was relatively unused in those days,
    and was little more than big patch of pavement.
    Locals cut the fence and every Sunday,
    hooligans would go drag racing.
    No sanctions, no safety, no authority, no timing.
    Also no rowdies or drinking I saw.
    Just pull to the line and go with next guy doing the same.

Went on most of summer, then some dildo crashed
    and cops it shut down.
    Amazing it went on as long as it did,
    since it was visible from the road.

8. firingorder1

firingorder1

Santa Ana 1954. I was 9 years old. Scarred me for life. But what a beautiful scarring!

9. teddyp

teddyp

i was there but didn,t start raceing till 63 a 55 chevy and a 57 chevy conv sat was old brigde and sun was inland till e-town open in 65

10. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

You're very welcome. Love sharing old memories.:cool:

11. big bad john

big bad john

........12 old at union Grorve, Wisconsin........

12. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

I was 16 the first time I went to the drags at Oroville, Calif. The drags were run by an Oroville car club called the Ophir Coachmen. The following month I took my parents new Barracuda and ran it there. It ran J/SA. At the time all you needed was a seat belt. Ran against a 1955 Oldsmobile, which I beat and against a 1957 Plymouth that red lighted. Got me a trophy but couldn't take it home, so I left it over at my sisters house. A couple of days later my parents went to visit her and asked her where the trophy came from. She told them that I won it racing their new car. After that I was regulated to driving the old 56 Ford 4 door that burned more oil than gas.

13. It was the dragstrip that used to be in Coon Rapids in 1966, I was 7. Lots of fun and very loud, I loved it.

14. ganga

ganga

I was 10 years old. My dad took me to Orange Airport in Orange ,MA. They ran twice a month on the runway organized by the New England Timing Association.

15. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

M first time at the strip was in 1962 when I was 12 yrs. old. My first time racing was in 1973 with my '71 427 Camaro. (which I still drive!)

16. Roothawg

Roothawg

Sept. 15, 1968. MY dad was in the finals at the OKC Fairgrounds drag strip and my mom went into labor. She said I got excited and decided it was time.

17. mickeyc

mickeyc

1963, Baylands RaceWay Fremont California, saw a top fuel car race a jet car after they chained a junker to the jet and burned it to a crisp! P.T
    Barnum could not have put on a better show. Full quater mile tire smoke and a jet blast with after burner I was hooked for life!

18. 53studecoupe

53studecoupe
    from Eagle WI

Great Lakes Dragway Union Grove WI at age 6. Met Broadway Bob for the first time. Memories. Sunday,Sunday,Sunday!!!!!!!!!!

19. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

Atco Dragway, New Jersey, early sixties, saw Don Garlets run.

Attached Files:

20. burnout2614

burnout2614

Odena dragstrip Sylacauga AL 1984, I was old, 21. My dad forbade me to race but I was street racing anyway up til then. Been drag-strippin ever since. peace

21. Redz Rodz

Redz Rodz

67 @ york us 30, 8 year old 3rd grader, buddy in schools dad took us a coulpe times a summer for about 6 or 7 years,went to the last funny car nats,in my old van backed right up to the fence at about mid track ,the camper truck beside us had 4 hippy type hillbilly's that had a pipe they called a steamroller with alot of tennese wacky weed, had a real good time,man I miss that place!!

22. wondergirl

wondergirl

Grew up with a stepdad that raced but, being a girl, was never allowed to go. First time was only 3 years ago and only once since. I'm hooked now and trying to get tickets to Winternationals in a couple of months in Pomona. Hope to keep learning and enjoying the strip.

23. lowpunk

lowpunk
    from berwyn, il

I'm guessing about 4 or 5 that i remember. My only memories are walking through the pics with my dad and holding on for dear life to the ear muffs that engulfed my small head. Seriously i was probably there prior to birth or younger than 4 or 5. My parents like to tell the story about about how they were too broke to get into the races so they scrounged around the couch and couch seats to find entry money, that was before i was born!

24. I was 12, went to the Winternationals with Grandpa...been hooked since

25. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Suuuunnndaaaay!!! Niaaaaagraaa!!!- 1966

BTW, the long-closed Vacaville strip was still there until a few years ago- I was scouting for dumpsites up there, drove over the overpass, and there it was- it had been overgrown with grass for years, but someone had scraped the grass off in prep for pulverizing it to recycle the asphalt and base rock- gone now. The fence was open, I went in and drove around on it- even the old light post on the return was still standing

26. AllenK

AllenK

Probably the strip at the Carlisle,Arkansas airport. That's the first one I remember along with I-30 Dragstrip in Arkansas. Also went to State Capitol,Houma, and LaPlace in Louisiana when I was little. Prescott Raceway opened up in '78 here,and it's still going. I haven't been in quite some time though. They raced at the airport there before the strip opened also.

27. jeepfink

jeepfink
    from So Cal

O was around 15 and it was at OCIR, Wednesday night Grudge nights!

28. jbtine

jbtine

My first trip really was an exciting experience for an early teen. I was about 13. Parents took me to Ardmore OK to see my aunt,uncle and kids. Our mom's were sisters. My uncles cousin was JR Shaw and ran the dragstrip at the time. IT was the only time I would ever see him. He said he had to go open the strip up and would I like to go. HELL YESS!! The next part was a surprise. He opened his garage doors, may have been at the house or his shop....not sure. He backed out a 63 black max wedge Dodge and said hop in. Red interior no radio open headers etc... and a sticker that said not for highway use. We drove to the track...I was hooked. A few years later I got a job where my Dad worked and met a guy that worked for Bill McClure at Green Valley dragstrip in Smithfied Tx. He ask me if I would be interested in working at GV...HELL YEAH!!!! So all you guys that raced there in the late 60s..around 67 maybe earlier..it's been over 40 years, I probably looked your car over at the scales..I was part of the tech crew. They use to make one of us ride back to the scales from the far end when someone won eliminations. I remember riding back in Butch Leals California Flash.

29. bowtie56jw

bowtie56jw

when i was about 11 over at assumption in illinois. also see my first realnice set of b**bs that night, ahhhh the memories
    whitey