Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical When is your shop/garage finally big enough?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bangingoldtin, Oct 28, 2020.

1. When you cannot afford the property taxes

2. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cars, boats, and tools are like a gas; they fill the volume of their container.

John

3. Matthew Greenwell

Matthew Greenwell
    from Poole, UK

In my opinion, your shop is only big enough once you can no longer afford to fill it! I'm on the south coast of the UK (Poole), and space is tight and expensive. All I have is a 10'x18' single garage to build cars in, and a 16'x16' shed in the back garden (full) to store parts. But if money was no object, it would end up being an aircraft hanger. I have a mad passion for old rods and customs of all manufactures, so I'd need a lot of work/ storage space.

Fabulous50's likes this.
  4. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Room for one project and one driver is plenty. Any bigger and you'll store junk. A restroom is a must. 20201201_205607.jpg

5. It's big enough when you realize you really don't need all this old crap, but until then it'll never be big enough.

wicarnut likes this.
  6. Paul

Paul
    Editor

When it's empty.. it's never empty.

7. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's only big enough after you clean up and purge. Gets pretty small again pretty fast after. Amirite?

squirrel likes this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel

I moved recently, and been cleaning up the old place to sell. The shop is now empty, and it's huge! Definitely big enough.

wicarnut, LOU WELLS and Paul like this.
  9. I’ve been pricing a 30x40, and with materials being so high, I might wait a year.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

10. Roothawg

Roothawg

I was talking with the city planner the other day about how much I can legally build. 25% of my acre. So that would be about right. That’s works out to about 11,000 sf.

11. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Saw this on a rod run down south and thought we would steal this idea for a clean room to park 2 cars away from shop dust.
    D2519426-1F30-4A5A-B423-A888EB4C33D7.jpeg 45EF2D51-36FF-4F16-A90D-545FD7D60B8A.jpeg Just contemplating a 50’x32’ to build adjacent to my 20’x30’ . I have built numerous cars in my present 40 year old shop, never had a lift, just a pit and pull the car over me, which nowadays is probably not considered safe. Though I know in my present small building I can barely get 2 pre 34 cars in end to end and no room to move. 99.9% there is just one car in there. But it is harder to loose stuff in a small building I imagine. My son in Laws business closed so i scored some very nice very cheap gear. Lathe ,rollers ,folders , drill press. A ton of Lathe tooling . Ah now where do it put it.. My wife gave me the go ahead to build, as long as we shift a single car garage from its present site close to the house fo a sewing room. She said make the new building as big as you have to. YAY.

12. Fabulous50's

Fabulous50's
    from Maine

40x60 with a 2 post lift. If I didnt have to pay taxes on it, I'd build it.

13. I've got 3200 sqft currently. Plus a 40 foot mobile home full. And planning on another 2-3k sqft building and a couple more containers to replace the aging mobile home.....

Plus a 2 car attached that I keep the "wood working tools" in.

It's all full.