Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs When is Ugly, To ugly?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hollywood-East, Mar 30, 2016.

1. squirrel

squirrel

not bad looking from the front!

2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Always mused about having a truck with soft, luxurious car comforts...low, modern lines...Almost made one.
    Then somebody had to sneak in that blasted Ranchero!:p

Hollywood-East likes this.
  3. Kind of a newer version of the car/truck I just got. TRUCK 7 TOOL BOX TAYLOR 001.JPG TRUCK 7 TOOL BOX TAYLOR 002.JPG TRUCK 7 TOOL BOX TAYLOR 003.JPG

4. dad-bud

dad-bud

Thinking the same thing myself. It looks most awkward in side profile. Not sure about the whitewalls now, but hey, who cares?

5. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

I used to see quite a few of those car\truck conversions in rural Florida when I was a kid,most not that well done.I like it! Clean it up and drive it.

chryslerfan55 and olscrounger like this.
  6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Did anyone else notice the original car was a 50 Dodge coupe? The coupe has longer doors, resulting in a roomier cab. I like the style of the slanted posts. What is wrong with the wooden bulkhead? I like that you decided to clean it up and drive it.

7. ....the rarely seen El Dodgaro! :cool:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  8. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Could have been worse; I've seen this done on two different '55 Chevys. First back in the late '60s in West Paducah, KY - a light blue four-door sedan that was cut off behind the doors and converted to a flatbed, the cab closed off with plywood. Second was in the late '80s at the Monrovia, CA Pick-A-Part - a light blue two-door hardtop that must have once been a kustom - roof cut behind the doors again but this was more of an El Camino style with a rather crude metal bed and back window, with '57 Lincoln fins and taillights added for good measure, and remnants of white tuck and roll inside.

9. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Is it ugly, YUP. does it look better cleaned up and the stock rack gone YES! Now if you could just slide the rear axle back to center it in the fender well I think you'd be onto something. Its growing on me.

10. She sure looks GOOD cleaned up!!!Bruce.

11. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

This is not a bad looking Ford hiding behind that tree, right?

But what's with that wheel?
    [​IMG]

12. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

13. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

That thing Rulez! Ford bodied M-37 im think'n..

chryslerfan55 and Greenblade like this.
  14. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Close. It was a '42 Dodge WC53 Carryall. The bolt-on wheel rims were WWII . The wheelbase determines it was a carryall and not a command car or weapons carrier. It would have looked like the truck below.

I think the Ford was a convertible. The rear quarters are '53 Oldsmobile.

[​IMG]

15. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ugly is too ugly when even your dog won't lick your face.

16. I like it. Centre the rear axle, replace the cab back with metal and run it.

17. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

I actually think the front half looks pretty good....from about the door handle forward...kind of lost the appeal back though....sorta ''lost the flow'' to the front half.... Maybe some 'rounded' fenders to match the front end would have been awesome. Interesting just the same!!!;)

18. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

WC53 Dodgford convertible armored hardtop ice cream truck.

19. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

It was built with a camper on the back, but that part did not survive.

20. mkebaird

mkebaird

That's a '39-'46 Dodge/Plymouth bed&fenders. The trucks were actually built with the axle in that position!

21. Hollywood East, that is a big improvement, just cleaned up and with the stake sides removed. I think it will make a very unique shop truck.

22. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

To finish off the cab on the Dodge Ute, take a look at the rear corners of a Task Force Chevy '55-'59 truck cab.
    The corners stick out past the back of the cab a little. If you wanted to make the substantial effort to replace the wood, Chevy inspiration might get you around the corner while still keeping the back of the cab in front of that bed without moving it back.
    The overhang was not a bad way to finish the roof. The upper part of the cab back could be all glass. Think '64 Mercury breezeway.

chryslerfan55 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  23. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

You could also look at some flower cars for ideas.

[​IMG]

24. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

portholes optional

25. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

The 55 is exactly what I was thinking! I have one here at the shop..Good call..

26. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If you have to tie bones to it before dogs will chase it, that is ugly lol.

27. Red Weaver

Red Weaver

Hey, if nothing else that steering column and wheel are very worthwhile. Being a little goofy, and having a couple Plymouths of that vintage, we'd take it in a heartbeat. (the steeringwheel that is)

28. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

You might also draw some inspiration from Powell pickups. Your rig is already more attractive, but Powell came to mind because their pickup was based on recycled MOPAR chassis.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. Do it like the photoshop that Raymay posted and you'll convince people it was like that from the factory. If you ever saw a late '40s Hudson pickup, that was pretty much what Hudson did--cut a 4 door sedan off at the B pillar, put a back wall on the cab, and put a bed on it. The Hudson pickups looked like a well executed backyard job.

30. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

NCM_1409.JPG Well, Someone wanted the el Dodgero more than I needed it... It ended up going to Syracuse to a fellow that had a collection of funky Kool iron, plans on getting it ready for the Syracuse nationals this year .. A good home indeed )

chryslerfan55 and RetroSteel like this.