Register now to get rid of these ads!

When is it truly over???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fat Hack, Jun 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

What do you DO (automotively speaking!) when you know you've already had your shot, and you'll never be There again? How do you aspire to "second best"? Is there any POINT in wetting your line when you know the lake is empty?

Assume for a moment that the car...the very one car you always wanted, you already HAD, but say...due to a lack of space, you sent it on down the road. Is there any point in doing anything different...accepting the fact that you ain't never gonna be that happy again?

On the one hand, you could consider yourself lucky to have found and dragged home that ONE...your "Holy Grail" and to have had your Time with it...but then, the Search is Over, and what else is there?

Like guys who've walked on the moon...what can they ever DO after that? They spent their lives preparing for it...they DID it, and now here they are...what the Hell do you do to get excited after something like that?

Beats the shit outta me.

I just drink beer and wonder if I oughtta take up GOLF or some shit.

Anyone else ever been there???

2. cruzr

cruzr

its never over

3. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

When in doubt, build a better one, Homie.

even when they're "done"...they're never really "done", so commit to memory what You would have changed, Get Your groove back, and change it!

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

For the TRUE adventurer, the end of the journey never really arrives. You expand your horizons and find new worlds or in this case cars, to conquer. Next time you drive around and catch a glimpse of a familiar fender in a barn or behind an old gas station, it's a new path waiting for your footsteps. Press on brother, life waits for no one.

5. Tony

Tony

I've been VERY fortunate when it come's to car's.. Two car's i have wanted since a kid i have now..One's on the road and the other i will start building soon..
    But, even with those my quest for building thing's never ends. Even if it's one that's not something "special" to me.
    One thing, for me anyway, is the goal set in a build, accomplishing that goal and learning in the process..
    That in itself is a huge factor in why i love to build car's.
    So, it's never over until the enjoyment of reaching those goal's and learning are gone, or if i physically just can't do it any longer.
    When they are, then you take up golf...ok, not golf....
    Maybe professional beer drinking?

Tony

6. sadly i never knew what the "one" was, i just get what i want and work on it till something else catches my eye. i wish i could find the one, get it, finish it and be happy. i envy those who want the one........i want them all.

7. fatcaddi

fatcaddi

well i say since you did the one you always wanted, whats your 2nd favorite and when ya gonna start building it. me i have a varied taste in cars, i like hot rods, customs,bellflower style, og low lows, imports , mini trucks, baja style trucks a little bit of everything, i was thinking the other day if i was rich as shit, i would have a huge garage

8. over? it aint over , i aint heard no fat lady sing yet!!

9. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I na way, trained all my life to do something. Did it for a few years and now??
    People dont take kindly to covert operations in there back yard.
    Move on, find something.................. er............... else to do...............

Or track it down and give him an 'Offer he cant refuse' in your best Godfather voice.

10. C-1-PW

C-1-PW

Stop drinking your beer for just a minute, get that golf driver and give yourself a drive in the ass. Do it again.

There's loads of great rides out there. They may be different from the ones you've had, but go get something and have a ball.

11. big-daddy-george

big-daddy-george
    from New York

Nobody ever walked on the moon. That was a big hoax to show the Russians how advanced the US was.

12. There are so many different cars in me dieing to be built. I'll never have enough $$$ or time to build them all. It'll never be over, as long as I can tinker.

13. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I don't have any idea. Ask 3WLarry.

14. JustBryan

JustBryan
    from NE Ohio

Seems there are way to many shapes,curves and sizes to be done after just
    finishing "The One".Soooo, have a few cold ones and start thinkin about the
    next "One"

15. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Geez Hack, I hate to both say it and admit it, but for me its an age thing. You were not asking that question when you were 20 years younger. Everything was better when you were back a few decades. The cars, the sex, your vision, etc. I Don't mean to be getting all psychological on ya but age is a real equalizer. Its harder to get up every morning, and Its not as easy to get excited about stuff.
    I try to surround myself with people I want to be like, I stay away from chronically depressed souls, and I avoid the practical people of the world. They're the worst. They'll suck the life outa you in a heartbeat.
    It works pretty well most days and I still look forward to getting up each morning to see what the hell is gonna happen this day.
    The car you are working on may not be as cool as one you once had, But if you are lucky enough to be working on cars , you're lucky enough.

16. ol'skool29

ol'skool29

you'll come across another car you will NEED to have eventually, happens to me all the time haha

17. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

when the fat bitch who knows everything sings. it's really over

18. 49coupe

49coupe

It sounds like you've had fun and owned cars you really like. Life takes turns. I spent years looking for a shoebox ragtop, had one and had to sell it recently to put money towards debt and stuff for my house/family. Believe me, it wasn't easy. I figured that I'm relatively young (38), so I will likely have another opportunity to buy another one at some point in my life when I have more time & money.

So I'm building my "second" best shoebox, my '49 coupe with the $ from the sale and taking my time.

I would focus on what other car you've always wanted/liked and keep your eye out for "the" car. Opportunities always come up if you have cash ready.

19. that's the way I am with women...

20. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

I considered building stuff for other people maybe...working on things that they come up with just to be under the hood now and again. That's kind of satisfying...in a different sort of way...but it doesn't hold a candle to "doing your own thing", either.

But what if your "Thing" just ain't THERE anymore???

Maybe a tribute car?

A present?

A dedication?

(I really, REALLY suck at golf...believe me, but it would give me something to improve upon I guess! Ha Ha...but I can't afford to go to Medical School to golf full time!!!)

I look at the car I drive now and I laugh. It's a great little mess of a vehicle and I laugh with the utmost admiration for it...I could never in a hundred million years replace it, and it would be foolish to try.

That's what I mean...a couple years ago (shit, maybe it was LAST year, I don't know anymore?!) I actually stumbled onto the One, and was able to buy it and own it. Things went this way and things went that way, and then circumstances came up that brought me to the poitn where the car couldn't just sit there taking up space, so it had to go. I made sure I wasn't at home when the new owner came to tow it away...left it in the street with the keys under the matt and all the parts loaded inside. When I got home, she was gone.

My daily driver these days may be all the car I'll ever love again, but maybe that ain't so bad? It can haul sports equipment, though a jock I'm not! It ain't pretty...but it is beautiful in it's own way. Not in a project car sort of way...but rather in a "never let ya down" sorta fashion, ya know?

But as for projects and stuff? The Thrill is Gone, I'm afraid...never thought it would happen, but shit...like I say...when you've made it however briefly to the Top (you're OWN Top, not anybody else's)...where do you go from there???

I just can't see The Way anymore.

21. screwball

screwball

been a wannabe became a got twice. Then became a has had. Got married had two kids and have more projects than I should and now Im back to a wannabe. Its a little slower than the first time and spare cash is a lot harder to find but I will be a have got in the next year or so. P.S. having a project car dosent count you must be on the road to count around here.

22. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

its the journey, not the destination.

23. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Ha Ha...I don't KNOW my own age...and maybe THAT'S a problem, too...who's to say? I sure as shit don't know anyone MY age who gets up and hits the day riding a 20" BMX bike sometimes upwards of 20 miles per day, then drinks all night and does it again! Ha Ha...I don't know if I'm 12 or 75 half the time, but inside I'll always be 12! There's days I feel a little bit old, but it only makes me take slight detours, it doesn't stop me. The day it DOES, then I'll cash in my chips as far as Life goes...

...but as for cars??? They're all I've ever dreamed about (okay, that and Tanya Roberts and Gina Schock...but not together, although, hey...why not?!) but now, I find it hard to even fathom what could be a suitable "second best"? Sure, there ARE cars that I've always kinda wanted but just haven't had yet...and a few of them may even be semi-obtainable, but I keep hearing a resounding "WHY?" inside my head when I even start to consider the whole thing...and THAT is what really scares me I suppose...

24. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Where do you come up with this shit...??? You sit around and drink toooo much beer...???
    Get a life...You're still breathing ain't you...it ain't ever OVER til you don't draw any more breath...

R-

25. 41woodie

41woodie

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

26. screwball

screwball

dont over think. There are way to many cars and trucks and build styles out there I tried to give up on the hobbie or life a few times but just came back. To give up on this stuff is as close to give up on life I guess Im a gear head for life as an alcoholic is an alcohlic for life.

27. Moonglow

Moonglow

Yeah right............and Elvis is still alive.

28. Moonglow

Moonglow

The Germans never bombed Pearl Harbor.

29. Sober up for cry sake.To start with you aint even begun to get old. You're just fat and hung over.Next I've been watching you for awhile and I seriously doubt that you can build a car. But you could prove me wrong. That is if you got a pair.As for knowin' when its over if you gotta ask it aint over.

30. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

He was referencing a Belushi quote from "Animal House"...a famous "motivational speech" from a total NON-intellectual...but funny in it's proper context!! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.