Winter is nearly here and I am trying to decide whether or not it is time to do a complete rebuild of my 1954 chevy 235 motor. This car is nearly a daily driver and has been all year. It suposedly has 49,000 miles on it. It wasn't dependable when i got it nearly two years ago, but I now have it running smooth and dependable. The issue is this, this motor is leaking really bad. I'm sure the rear seal is gone as well as most of the gaskets throughout. So I need to at least replace the gasket kit. I am on a pretty tight budget and it looks like a true complete rebuild is going to run $1400-$1700 as i am no machinist or master mechanic. I'm having a hard time shellin' out the cash on a motor that runs sweet as is. I am also in the process of doing a t5 conversion with an open drive. So here are the questions... When is it time to rebuild? Is it ok to do a gasket kit and rebuild when I have signs of an issue, or am I asking for more trouble later by not rebuilding prior to signs of mechanical failure? What is the best way to make this decision? Aside from my introduction, this is the first thread that I have started. I usually try to search the HAMB and I have always found more than what I need to keep my project going. I have tried to search for the answer and have come up short so I am hoping to get some advice from those who have had to make this decision before.