Register now to get rid of these ads!

when is a car considered famous

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Aug 2, 2013.

1. just when is a car considered famous. is it a famous race won or a magazine article? can it be due to local fame or does it have to be on a national level. does a race win mean more to a hot rods rep than a car show win? does it have to belong to a club? at what point does it affect the price of the car? lets hear your opinions

2. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

When Von somebody clones it

3. A car is not really famouse just popular. Face it a car is a creation and if anything is going to be famouse it is going to be the creator not the creation.

4. When somebody famous who owned it died. Especially if they died in it.

5. 19Fordy

19Fordy

A car is considered famous when fellow craftsman, peers and the general public recognize that it possess exceptional design , creativity and uniqueness that is outstanding and raises the bar - setting a new standard as an art form that endures for years to come.

6. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

When it stops having to give hand jobs for blow.... :eek:

7. theres a difference between famous and significant. look at the indy 500. every car that ran there is important, but, not all are famous. hardly anyone would recognize every car that ran in ,say, 1950. but all of them are significant and desirable. the famous ones would bring more because more people would reconize them.

8. ok let me ask it another way then. at what point in the builder or builds pedigree does it make a difference. just how much recognition or race wins or show wins does it take to move a car above the rest? what does it for you? there are cars out there that are considered famous i wouldnt want taking up space in my shop and others i would die for that are unknowns.

9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Some are famous to the general public because they appeared in movies, videos, television, etc.. Others are famous to car guys on their own merit, quality, originality, performance, etc.. Others are famous because of who owns or owned them.

10. Leviman

Leviman

11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

A car is famous if I have heard of it but never seen it.

12. henry29

henry29

Obviously the OP cares, why do you care if he cares or not?

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exactly what I was thinking before I opened the thread.
    [​IMG]

Around the Hamb it's probably really famous when you buy it as not much more than a roller hulk and bust your ass to restore it back to how it looked in the June 1953 Hot Rod magazine rotogravure section and two out of the first five guys who respond to your "I finished it in time for the GNRS" thread bitch and whine that you ruined it because you cut the rust out and redid the half assed modification to the frame right withhout outwardly changing it to make it safe to drive along with sanding off the last six square inches of original paint aka patina when you prepped it for the 18 coats of hand rubbed lacquer to match what the original builder did.

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

Good analogy, I'd be happy with any pre 1966 INDY car, but there are some that are far more "famous" than others, and they didn't have to win to get to that level. Hot Rods & Customs are a bit different, great looking ones will always be "Famous". Bob :)

15. Leviman

Leviman

True. I suppose what I meant was why would you care? If a car is famous does that make it better? I say no.

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Any INDY 500 Winner vs. the last car to finish the 500, Yes, there was a differance then and now. Bob

17. I don't think there's a black and white line. It comes down to memories and experience of each person. What makes car desirable is memories. What makes a car famous is exposure.

For me, it's the little red wagon. I saw it at beech bend when I was about 3 years old. He was running an army tank called "hell on wheels". The sparks flying off that tailgate most probably set the coarse of my life as a hot rodder/car nut. I'd give anything for it. The next guy probably wouldn't give 2 dollars for it.

Pedigree would mean to me who built it. Barris/Winfield/foose/ who ever. Which would add value in most cases.

The general lee, starsky and hutch Torino, kit from knight rider, a team van. Those are examples of truly "famous" cars. Everyone knows those cars on sight. Lots of non car people would love to have one of them.

Harry Bradley's la jolla Chevy sold a while back for about $25g. To us that's one of the holly grails of kustom cars. To the general public it's an old Chevy someone messed up.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. mikes51

mikes51

Before the internet, I think if your car was in a car magazine that was one way. Another would be if it won top honors at a prestigious car show or the drags (your name would be engraved on the perpetual trophy or would be a record holder). And lastly in earlier times if a plastic model of your car was available. We are a specialized interest group so "normal" thngs like being on the cover of TIME magazine or being in a successful movie would be unlikely.

19. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

Great answer!

20. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Racer x..

21. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Growing up a car was famous if it could burn tire from the stop light past the 7/11.

Also any car Gina Trizudo was ever in the back seat of.

22. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

there will be extremely subjective answers to this question. like mentioned above, we are a small, specialized group. famous to hamb members is much different than famous to other car folks. I think everyone can agree that Millner's coupe is famous for example, but around the hamb if you talk about the Bass roadster or wade coupe hambers would call those famous cars. other examples would be the victorias secret car or maybe even Matt's coupster. if a hamb member were to see one of those vehicles somewhere they would instantly know who's car it was and how awesome it is. if you ask anyone else they might know, they might not.

having a famous car depends on the crowd that is exposed to it and the craftsmanship involved in the actually build (good or bad). cars can be locally famous given enough exposure and build quality. people will say "hey your the guy with the cool car". whether or not that means its famous is up in the air and no definitive answer can be given I think

23. Blake84

Blake84

When kohls clothing store steals a picture of your truck and puts it on a shirt without asking haha .....I settled With them so it's all good

[​IMG]

24. daddio211

daddio211

25. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's usually mostly to do with being seen in nationally-viewed media...by lots of people.

Various avenues to get there.

Featured in a popular movie.

Won a lot of shows.

Won a lot of races.

Owned by a famous person.

The cops shot it full of a million holes and killed you after you robbed a bunch of banks.
    Oh...but even then, you'd have to be famous.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

26. carpainterjohn

carpainterjohn

you know it is famouse when they call it by your name or some other.it sets you apart from all the rest.hard to do anymore a lot look the same!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

27. Maybe when Pat Ganahl includes it in one of his books? Or maybe when it was featured in 1962's 3 major Rodding publications in 5 months? Or maybe when you can never get out from under it's reputation and every time you take your current roadster some where you get the standard question "is this the red one"?, and you feel like you let the world down by getting stupid and selling it??

[​IMG]

28. PC Jr

PC Jr
    from So Cal

I would think it reaches a certain level when it becomes something significant. That could be a design or feature that sets a trend. A build that brings attention to or establishes a person or shop as one of the best or a car that is just done right.

I tend to think its the one that is in your dream or in the case of the lucky ones on this forum, in your garage.

29. japar

japar
    from Seekonk Ma

Not really sure ? But I own a INFAMOUS 64 Ford Fairlane 1 of the badest cars on the steet back in its day,
    in·fa·mous
    [in-fuh-muhs] Show IPA

adjective
    having an extremely bad reputation: an infamous city.

deserving of or causing an evil reputation; shamefully malign; detestable: an infamous deed.

Law.
    a.
    deprived of certain rights as a citizen, as a consequence of conviction of certain offenses.

b.
    of or pertaining to offenses involving such deprivation

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  30. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

When it's known by a name, or a badge of honour, from Racing, show or well credited builders.

Just to name a few:
    Pierson Brother Coupe
    Jack Stewart Ford
    Smokey Yunick #13 Chevelle
    Junior Johnson Banana car
    Vic Edelbrock 32 Ford
    Moonlighter 41 Willys

There is no way to tell what will be famous! Only thing you can do, is look at famous cars and find the link between them.

Smokey yunick got famous for doing odd stuff, and do it well! But had no clue why people got impressed about him.

So your question is too philosophycal for a normal gearhead to answer it!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013