Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration When did you realize you were/are odd?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Greg Rogers, Feb 7, 2021.

1. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

WOW!!!! Those bears don't play.. We have them around here but they stay out in the woods..

bear.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  2. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

I hope you let us see when this gets running!

Baumi, how did you get your car in there?

[​IMG]

loudbang and HotRodTractor like this.
  3. indyjps

indyjps

Was odd......decided to be an engineer......now Im "normal"

I have fun with it, can spout off all kinds of stupid shit, people either dont pay attention or just figure I must have learned about it somewhere, sometime.

Ziggster, HotRodTractor and loudbang like this.
  4. Always driving (a stock) Studebaker since I was about 16 - has always got me that look. At 65 - I just hope there's enough in me for a few more engine changes - I've got about 5 or 6 waiting on me along with a few body off frame job's.

loudbang likes this.
  5. williebill

williebill

I blame my mom and dad... noooo, they didn't encourage me. Far from it.
    But thanks to AMT, Monogram, and Revell, and ESPECIALLY Testors, and all the models they bought me starting around 8 or 9 years old...
    I sniffed a lot of glue at a very young, impressionable age.. Read a lot of little mags from about that age, too.
    Sucked at sports, too.
    Noticed that the neighbors and my folks talked a lot about Raymond, the 30something guy down the street who I've mentioned before on the HAMB. Don't think they approved of the hours he kept, or the loud cars he drove coming in at all hours of the night. Raymond was the only adult man on the whole street who didn't fit in. I wanted to be just like him.
    My affection for 52-54 Ford Vickies with lake pipes, skirts, continental kits, and a badass sounding y-block comes from Raymond. He had 3 different ones while he lived there, all cool as Hell.
    The grownups thought Raymond was odd, maybe mysterious, probably a little dangerous. Maybe the men all thought he might steal their women. Maybe he did.
    Raymond didn't fit in with the "squares". I knew when I was less than 10 years old that I didn't want to, either.

'51 Norm and loudbang like this.
  6. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

I have long wished to have enough wealth to earn the title”Eccentric”. Guess I will have to settle for “weirdo”. lol

Deuces, Wanderlust, X-cpe and 2 others like this.
  7. Don’t think I’ve ever come to that realization, maybe it’s because I don’t care what other people are doing or what the think of me...hell I sat and watched a basketball game last night reading this thread with people saying I was wasting my time and they wouldn’t want anything to do with me.

I enjoyed the shit out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

wraymen likes this.
  8. I think a big difference between car guys and most ball and stickers is our passion!

Cars are all consuming. For me I am always thinking, reading, studying the history work/building cars, going to swapmeets or the races.

For most ball and stickers it is just a way to fill time, it's not their passion. I work with several football fans, all they care about is the team they cheer for last or up coming game and after about 10:00 o'clock the Monday after the Super Bowl they stop thinking about football until the next season starts.

I have asked a few of them to tell me about the rules or some of the history of football, and I either get a blank stare or told "I don't care about that shit!"

I have talked to our basketball "fan" about Brad Dority (Cleveland Cavaliers) and that Dority always wore number 43 because he was a huge Richard Petty fan, he also has owned a NASCAR truck team and was part owner of a NASCAR cup car.
    The guy I work with had never heard of Brad Dority.

Same with the baseball fans. I have talked about Reggie Jackson being a car collector, same thing no clue who he was and didn't care to find out.

My father was working with a women who claimed to be a fan of the Manning brothers. My father asked "Those are Archie Manning's sons correct?"

She had no idea who Archie Manning was.

brando1956 likes this.
  9. Mopar Tony

Mopar Tony

If loving customs and hot rods is "Mad" I don't want to be normal LOL

upload_2021-2-12_11-43-42.jpeg

loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  10. PacaRacer50

PacaRacer50

I am totally normal. The rest of the worlds population is totally wacked out of their gourds baby!

brando1956, loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  11. It appears that he is umm, unBEARable.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang and Lil32 like this.
  12. TCATTC

TCATTC

I haven't realized it yet. I think everybody else has, but I haven't.

loudbang, '51 Norm and mad mikey like this.
  13. So your saying that only car guys are passionate? Car guys can’t have other hobbies? Only car guys really know about their own hobby? That is a real stretch, way beyond total BS. I have a neighbor who is passionate about his garden for criminy’s sakes. People can be passionate about everything from their jobs to their religion.
    I got quite a few laughs out of some of these posts. They all mention how silly or what a waste of time it is to watch a game or root for a team. What about people that actually play or played sports? They lacked passion? Even if you didn’t play, what the hell is wrong with having pride in your City, High School, your children’s team etc. etc.
    I enjoy my cars immensely but I also enjoy, fishing, hunting, shooting, baseball, basketball and a few others. I also enjoy watching them when I can. What the F is wrong with that?
    One thing I don’t watch is NASCAR but I don’t hate or belittle the guys that are into it.
    Edit: didn’t mean to rant on something so OT but I just couldn’t help myself. Too damn passionate!

14. e z i

e z i

Mom told me...I was shocked, Dad, not so much.

loudbang likes this.

15. You clearly didn't read my post, and are putting your own spin on it!

I have respect for anyone who is passionate about what they do, and I never said you can't have passion for more then one thing.

A couple of my friends (car guys) are artist, a few play music as well, but they are passionate about both
    Their art work revolves around automobiles they know, and understand the history of music.

My uncle (married to my dad's younger sister) is a very talented musician (he worked as a school teacher) he can read and write music, he plays multiple instruments, he can name symphonies, operas, and composers. These are not things I am interested in but I have a great deal for respect him, his skill, and knowledge.

I said most not all! (Hockey is still very pure and it's fans have respect for it's history) A statement I stand by!
    All the people I talked about in my post played one or several high school sports, and are the first to any one who will listen how dumb cars and auto racing of any kind are.

Look at today's professional ball and stick athletes making millions of dollars and charge their fans for an autograph!

Major League Baseball players have it written to their contracts that they don't have to play in any exhibition games, This includes the Hall of Fame game in Cooperstown.

Tom Brady just threw the Lombardi trophy to another boat! A very careless and risky chance to take with the greatness honor in football if he had slipped or the people other the other boat had missed the Lombardi trophy would be at the bottom of the bay right now!

None of these show much passion for their sports in my eyes!

Now look at auto racers. They do not charge for their autographs.

Several top level drivers own short tracks, dirt race race teams and race every weekly short track they can.

2018 NASCAR Cup Series champion and 2015 Daytona 500 Joe Logano just won an IMCA modified dirt race.

2007 NASCAR Busch series and multi time Cup winner on an off Cup weekend Carl Edwards just showed up with a racecar at a local Saturday night short track.

NASCAR Truck series regular Stewart Friesen still runs Fonda speedway every Saturday night (I have talked to him several times)
    After he won his first truck race on a Wednesday night he was back in a Big Block Modified at Fonda on Saturday.

Lastly NASCAR is a sectioning body National Association of Stock Car Auto Racing with several divisions.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  16. Sorry but all I saw were derogatory remarks directed at ball and sticker fans, what ever the hell that is. I read it several times. Since you brought up NASCAR. I’ve been to T Ball games that were more exciting. MHO is that it jumped the shark over 40 years ago. I do enjoy going to smaller dirt and modified series races. I prefer drag racing and attend events up and down the East coast. As far as autographs, I’ve never been a collector of those. Maybe on a check but I’m not that fortunate.
    Just throwing this out there, not directed at anyone in particular. Showing pride in who you are and what you do is expected. Showing disrespect to other people’s choices belittles everyone.
    Edit: I’m done, no hard feelings. Let’s get back to Hot Rods.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  17. Lil32

Lil32

nothing wrong with me
    DSCN6572.jpg

18. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

I didn't mean to bash sports at all, I just used sports and hunting as examples of others passions to compare to our car passion. I actually think sports are good at the school level- teaches teamwork and fair play and I also think hunting is good and I eat venison all the time, and I know that nice clean package of hamburger in the meat rack at the supermarket wasn't made that way! I just don't enjoy it, not my passion... Of course we all do have other passions than cars, too. I started this thread mostly because a lot of things I remember, that are really etched in my mind, things that I think everyone should remember, most my friends don't remember and they gloss over when I talk about these things. What was first year of the Mustang?, the SBC?, what's the difference between a 2stoke and 4 stroke?, etc etc. These type of things....

wraymen likes this.
  19. Ziggster

Ziggster

My late wife always joked about how she “de-nerded” me especially being an engineer as well. This always makes me laugh...

HotRodTractor, loudbang and indyjps like this.
  20. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've mentioned that I have a lot of younger brothers and sisters.
    I'd go on and on to them about the stuff I was reading in the hot rod magazines. 32 Fords. LT1 350s.
    I had quite a deep voice even as a young teenager.
    My brothers and sisters would imitate me in the deepest voice they could muster...
    "32 Ford 3 Window Coupe."
    "4 bolt mains."
    And then laugh their asses off.

21. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Seems we're not considered to be so odd when we're fixing everybody's stuff.

22. Malibu406

Malibu406

When my mother told me I was odd. Until then I was completely normal

loudbang likes this.
  23. How do cope in the Brisbane humidity with all that fur????

Lil32 and loudbang like this.
  24. Lil32

Lil32

I ask Billy G to sing me a cool song :p

loudbang likes this.
  25. brando1956

brando1956

When the voices in my head told me.

26. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I've seen this thread for DAYS, and have mis-read it to say, "When did you realize you were old?", not "...odd...". Which, in my case, could be either, and both.

loudbang and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  27. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did you figure out that it really was the politicians?

loudbang likes this.