Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration When did you realize you were/are odd?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Greg Rogers, Feb 7, 2021.

1. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Yep! It's their world. We're just livin' in it.

slim38, loudbang and Montana1 like this.
  2. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Every day I wake up hurting for the last 20 years, but I wake up, so I guess I've been old for 20 years. haha. Better than a dirt nap...

3. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

I don't hate sports, or hunting I just don't give a shit about them. I was a fat kid, now a fat man... Probably reason I am not a fan of sporting events. I was always the last to be picked for a team when the team leader would pick at recess in grade school. My Dad would take me to his co workers son's high school football games and all I remember about them is they were boring and my feet got cold in the stands. But sometimes Dad would take me to the drags or stock car races, I loved that!

4. I realized it one day many years ago when questioned by my wife why I had no interest in watching football, hockey, or baseball with her. She was puzzled why I had no interest in sports. She further pointed it out one night while watching the Superbowl. I went down to the garage that night and played with my 36 Ford, with no desire to watch the game. The fact was further cemented when given the choice of taking a week-long vacation at the beach or staying home working on a Chevelle I was restoring. Yeah, the Chevelle won. Amazing she has stuck by me all these 50 plus years. I am a true car junkie, no cure known.

5. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Athletes getting multi millions to play a game, and fans seeing nothing wrong with it.

There was a point in life the lowest form of employment was an actor. Now look how the tables have turned.

alanp561, Hnstray and loudbang like this.
  6. hepme

hepme

I found out in a Southern Baptist church. My 12 year old buddy and i were in the very back row tee-hee-ing over a small page rod book when the preacher stopped his sermon and said "would someone please take care of that". The entire congregation turned and we knew we were toast. Terror? think you know terror, boy? My bud's dad (who was a deacon) administered the first "correction" and my dad finished with his belt.
    --i thought I would change----naw!

7. Hmmmm....I guess I never thought of myself as Odd but I am left handed ...lol. The passion for old cars just always seemed normal to me . Born in 54 as a youngster I was identifying cars by their front grilles as being a happy car or sad . I guess I always wanted to drive so at 5 years old I released the pull brake on Dads 54 Chevy and it rolled down the yard stopping when it hit Moms clothes pole. All the neighborhood kids were in the car too and ran when it stopped leaving all 4 doors open . I guess Mom was busy in the kitchen and was not paying attention. That incident may have prompted my uncles to buy us an electric car that was the best thing going . We have an 8 mm film of me driving that car around the yard. What a treasure and it helps me to explain to family members my car craze . I just tell them to watch this and they get it . Why I am the way I am...lol. Looking back it was normal to just look at Motors manuals and know every engine and its horsepower. Model building ,doing body work and painting on the models. Riding my bike to the Ok Chevy used car lot and dreaming of getting a cool musclecar. Going to church in my brothers grey primer 56 Chevy (327 3 speed with Impala interior and 57 Plymouth hubcaps..its normal to remember these details too)) .... he would take the dollar mom gave us for the collection plate for gas . Church hookey ....we rode around for an hour and he would let me shift that ole 3 speed Foxcraft shifter . Stopped at the church when mass was finished and I had to go in for the "proof" bulletin that we were there. At 14 my best friend had a 55 Nomad and that was the time in my life I became "Branded". I learned quickly what cool was , riding in that car to the local hamburger stand on Friday nights in the 60s was as good as it ever got.. Looking back I consider myself and all on here who shared their stories to be a part of the greatest "Normal" people of all. Some may consider us Odd but we are truly Blessed to be car guys/gals.

8. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

Oh yeah!! Happy and sad cars from the fifties! Me too! I hadn't thought of that in a long time. I always thought cars looked like a face in the front, happy, sad, angry (59 Buick- angry in front and back!).Headlights were eyes, grilles were the mouth. I think this all started for me with some cartoons. 55-56Chevys had eyebrows too.

9. Mimilan

Mimilan

What about this one? A cheeky kid?
    upload_2021-2-11_12-14-43.png

Haha.......getting punished for reading from the non-fiction section :D

10. Hmmm......reading over the thread it seems there is a lil somethin goin on about sports and our car hobby ......well I must say that I am facinated with the sport and show "Battlebots" . A combination of smart Nerds constructing high dollar and sophisticated robots to fight . It combines driving skills ...a lot of fabrication all in quest to win the ultimate trophy , a giant threaded nut. Its odd but cool ......there has to be some car guy genes in those who build the ultimate 250 lb. Battlebots.

11. Not sure I’m in the right place, you guys are a bunchof weirdos!
    While some march to a different drummer I got caught following the tuba.

alanp561, Hnstray, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  12. wicarnut

wicarnut

Odd ? Weird ? I prefer Unique

chryslerfan55, Hnstray, X-cpe and 3 others like this.
  13. Dusty roads

Dusty roads
    BANNED

I would march to a different drummer if I could hear him.

alanp561, X-cpe and loudbang like this.
  14. Deuces

Deuces

Me???.... Odd?????......o_O:confused::rolleyes:

15. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

Interestingly enough I played the tuba. Most people thought that was odd.

chryslerfan55, alanp561 and loudbang like this.
  16. 210superair

210superair
    from Michigan

Pfft, the dude that's the leader of the band I'm in has a master's degree in tuba. Top that for odd! Lol.

I knew I was odd early on, definitely. And I've been enjoying it a great deal ever since.

loudbang and '51 Norm like this.
  17. I had to show you guy's that I was Normal so here is a Picture
    My right hand Men [​IMG]

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55, loudbang and Deuces like this.
  18. Roothawg

Roothawg

All I know, is that when I found a room full of guys like me back in 1998, that cared more about cars than football stats, I knew this place was for me.

19. When I was a kid I hung out with a bunch of kids that all worked on racecars and drank beer and chased girls...I was not wierd back then but now...I am 60 years old now yes I feel like a fish out of water most of the time....
    Thanks for asking the question....
    MikeC

loudbang and alanp561 like this.
  20. mohead1

mohead1

now that im older the sequence has changed....working on race cars, drinkin liquor, listenin to the spousal unit bitch

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

loudbang likes this.
  21. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I guess when the roadster doors got too high to jump over, and the clutch got to be a 'bother'...
    Then driving the roadster on cold mornings.
    Oh...wait. It was, "when did you realize you were 'odd'..." NOT old! Sorry...

22. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Never miss it.

23. How many of you Guy's Mow the lawn with a Motorcycle..???
    I did I Hooked it up to the Back of the rear & Pulled around the
    Whole 5 acres.
    I got some of it done but I got Tired of going so slow so I did
    it with the Car! and it worked much better.!
    Some of my Neighbor's though I was Crazy, but I thought
    I was original.!

Just my 3.5 cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

24. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just checked this thread out for the second time. First time I read the title correctly.:) I forgot all about it until I saw it just a moment age and dyslexia snuck up on me.:( The title doesn't read, " When Did You Guys Realize You Are/Were Getting Old ", does it?o_O:confused::mad:

25. manyolcars

manyolcars

A woman told me that I am living in the past. I told her I like it here.
    Another woman told me it was odd that I had never been on vacation. I have been using my vacation time to go to swapmeets since 1981.
    Growing up in the 50s and 60s, my neighbors did things: Wash the car, mow their own lawn and maybe the old ladies next door too, one guy was welding in his driveway, one repaired wood chairs, wove split white oak seats for them, people grew food and flowers in their yards. I think America has take a wrong direction by sitting around all the time and worshipping grown men who play a childs game with a little ball.

26. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got no encouragement at all... but apparently was determined.

1960, 3 years old. I heard a roar coming from outside. Ran to the window to see. Classic scene. The neighbor boy and a couple of his friends had the hood up, leaning into the engine bay and revving the old flathead V8 in a black late 40s Ford coupe.
    Oh... cool!
    My mother: "Ricky!... get away from that window!"
    I think she didn't want me to be influenced by the "juvenile delinquents".
    Too late.

Around that same time, I used to enjoy sitting on the steps of the porch on nice Sunday mornings to watch all the cool cars pull up and line the streets in front of the old church.

After we moved across town, nextdoor gearhead neighbor in his early 20s (Larry) had a rusty primered late 40s Ford coupe sitting on the property line for years. It was like an old friend sitting there. I remember Larry letting me come over a time or two to watch him work in the tiny garage. The only person in my young life who ever positively influenced me in this way. I remember the old and very greasy wooden bench and the old vise.
    One day, I watched as Larry put a piece of steel rod in the vise, fired up the acetylene torch... poof... adjusted the flame... cool!... and proceeded to heat the steel rod until a short section of it was cherry red. Still holding the lit torch in one hand, he reached over and picked up the pair of pliers from the bench, grabbed onto the top portion of the rod and easily bent it 90°. I was amazed. I exclaimed over the noise of the torch... "I didn't know you could do that!" Larry laughed.
    It was a good moment.

I think maybe it was the first time I realized that guys like Larry could do things with cars and stuff that a lot of people can't. I admired that, and I guess I thought maybe I wouldn't mind being like him.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  27. Deuces

Deuces

Yeah, I need to get off my own (dead) ass and start doing shit!....:(:rolleyes:

Lil32 and loudbang like this.
  28. I embraced my weird long ago - and I am all the better for it.

I grew up on a dairy farm - no shortage of mechanical things in various states from new to flat out junk to be found. My dad wasn't very mechanical, but he tried, and most of the time it somehow worked, and that was enough for me.

Shortly after I started reading I found a small blue bound pocket-sized book on automobiles. I don't recall the name of it exactly, but it outlined in great detail all the engine parts, how they functioned, the 4 cycles of the internal combustion engine, and had a great number of pictures and diagrams - plus lots of British/European cars in it that I had never dreamed of. I have no idea how much time I spent looking at that book, but before I left elementary school I could tell you in great detail exactly how an engine worked - and I understood the material well enough to be far superior to my dear dad at troubleshooting and repairing them. This was aided because while my dad was not mechanical as I was, he was still a gearhead. He enjoyed antique tractors, and by the time I was 10, he had bought a couple of them, before I was 16 the cows were gone, and the crop of tractors grew to a couple of dozen. This gave me ample opportunity to play with what is still my favorite part of the hobby - the engine. While he never said it.... I'm sure that he was buying all of those to keep me busy and learning, the fact he enjoyed the finished products was just a bonus for him.

Perhaps it was something to do with that old blue book - but I was always drawn more to cars and trucks, even though tractors still have a special place for me. As long as it has an engine, I'm all about it. Now - in my late 30s - I'm an engineer by day and a mad man in a shop/office at night. To the point where I know what I am building next.... and I am building my own foundry to be able to do it.

Yes - I'm weird/odd. I'm more than OK with it.

29. I am actually normal everyone else is odd.

I am not sure that I have ever really fit in anywhere. I think I figured that out when I went to kindergarten. I don't think anyone had to tell me. You just know.

That said, I was sitting around a fire with a bunch of dirty no goods, I was no doubt in my 20s. The fact that we did not fit into society came up and I mentioned that we were misfits. One of my older friends, Sonny, said, "Hell Benno, even among misfits you are a misfit." he was probably right.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    Deuces, loudbang and mad mikey like this.
  30. It hit me that I was a little odd in about the sixth grade. The kids were all into spell'n, right'n, ariff- ma- tic, and baseball. I was build'en go karts, model cars, and draw'n pictures of Hot Rods!:p:rolleyes::D:eek::p

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021