Register now to get rid of these ads!

When did using rock salt for show displays start?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Devoz, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Devoz

Devoz

So I was looking at some Ink N Iron show coverage and something that had always been in the back of my mind fought it's way to a now all consuming question. When did the use of rock salt as a show display start? I know all manner of materials have been used, Blackie Gejeian using a mirror, fake fur, angel hair, etc.....but nothing has the same effect as rock salt perfectly manicured under a rod or custom.

[​IMG]

2. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

First I ever heard of it.

Don

3. badshifter

badshifter

Shortly after Lots wife crumbled, a Sodomite parked his mule near the pile, and a trend was born.....

ALEISTER likes this.
  4. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

Because real snow will melt and stones are too heavy. Oh, that's water softener salt in the picture. A little more expensive than rock salt.

5. I ran the ISCA circuit back in the 70's and NEVER ran across rock salt.

6. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Never heard of it but I did run a few bags in truck for a few weeks to lower a car once!

7. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

I don't know but I've always thought it was dumb. Keep the salt the fuck away from any car of mine.

8. seatex

seatex

Ahhhh, the power of the HAMB. That's your answer, right there!:D

9. Add me to the never heard of it list.

I guess some body was trying to simulate the look of the salt flats. HRP

10. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

11. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Before noon or after ? :D

Don

12. mikes51

mikes51

There was the elevated platform for the whole car, cause people used to just throw their paper cups and trash on the floor.

Then the angel hair, but that was not made anymore.

For a while the giant colored glass bulbs with colored fishing nets was big.

I'm thinking May 14, 1991 but I could be wrong.

13. Special Ed

Special Ed

I remember it being used as early as the mid sixties. It was very popular. Prior to that time, I have no idea ... :cool:

14. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I want to know what happens to all of that salt when they're done with it. Reused for next show or too dirty? Do they just vacuum it up? I'd hate to think people move their cars out before the salt is removed.

15. BronxMopars1

BronxMopars1
    from Bronx, NYC

It looks cool but salt in my eyes is the enemy! I watched a guy put 20 bags of play sand around his car at a show then scratch the shit out of his paint with a duster all weekend trying to keep his car clean...... from what you ask? All the sand dust in the air. LMAO

16. Special Ed

Special Ed

It's cheap stuff. It's just swept up and thrown out. On a slick concrete floor, it takes less than five minutes to pick it up and chuck it. It's not fine or dusty, so it's easy to put out, and even easier to discard.

17. We dump it in the trash the next morning,when all the cars are gone. Helps with the look of the photos,covering the event. The salt is optional. Many guys have their own displays,carpet,mirrors,upolstered plywood,turntables,etc. I've seen guys use Race Deck for garages. Faith,known for Duece of spades,brought bags of sand to simulate El Mirage. The angel hair was used many times to simulate a burn-out. The Lowrider guys have used EVERYTHING! One guy in the Dome used wood chips.

18. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

After spending years cutting out rust and welding in new metal you want rock salt near your car???? Not me brother keep that stuff away from my car.

19. John Denich has lots of pic's from the past shows,if he would offer some history. He knows alot of what and why when it comes to show history.

20. That's pretty dumb...Rock salt on the floor at a show is harmless! Not as if the salt is there first and you drive over it.....It is "placed" around the car so you don't see the shitty concrete floor in the photos of your car.

21. fsae0607

fsae0607

^^^ this haha

22. Don't see sand used very often. I agree,seems dumb to use it around a nice show car. Maybe on a Barn Find car....

23. I heard a rumor of a guy who put salt around his 32 3w show car,on Friday,came back on sunday for the awards and won best Rat Rod! Maybe you're right....

24. fsae0607

fsae0607

Yeah I'm of the mindset that if your ride is bitchin enough, you shouldn't need rock salt, mirrors and crap to display.

Not to toot my own horn, but at Viva tons of people gave me oohs and aahs on the engine in my 61. I didn't even think of putting a "shrine" around my truck. Just me & my jalopy! :D

25. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So does that mean the cars drive over it on the way out or do you vacuum/sweep it away first?

26. We sweep it out of the way. Some guys don't want to wait,and drive over it.

27. VIVA and an indoor car show are two different deals. The guys who are competing for the big awards usually have displays,mirrors,etc. Not everybody does it.

28. nathan

nathan
    from minnesota

looks good and uniform to me. just reflective enough without glare. pics look great

29. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

It's an indoor show car thing. It's part of the fun. No need to tear it down if it's not your thing.

30. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

You guys seriously think that having some dry rock salt placed around your car will cause any issues? Wow.

They have been putting rock salt around cars for a LONG time.

I think its a cool addition for indoor car shows.