Register now to get rid of these ads!

when did they start dropping axles?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by doctorZ, Oct 26, 2009.

1. doctorZ

doctorZ

i have done some searching on here and through some books but can't seem to find a good answer. does anyone know when they started dropping them? we have a car in here that we are trying to keep period correct to 1939 and have a dropped heavy axle in it now. can we keep it or do we need a stock axle?!
    thanks,
    drZ

2. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Guys were dropping T axles back when they were new...

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The book, "Model T Ford in Speed and Sport" by Clymer Publications, now owned by Licoln Publishing at MACs in NY, would give you alot of information and is a fun read.

I don't remember any dropped axles in the T books, most dropping was done by suspension and frame modification and drop bracketry. I'll have to reread the book again and see what I find.

Saw a video on You-tube some time back with some guy claiming a custom sedan bodied car was built in 1932 with a dropped axle and other hot rod features. It looked possible, the axle had dropped and filled ends. Sadly the guy didn't really know much except that he had bought the car and his "ace" mechanic motorcycle jockey was shorting out the battery posts and making sparks.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  4. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

Not sure exactly when it started but it was done to lower for function (not to look cool like now) mostly by early dry lakers for less wind resistence like chopping, chanelling, etc. Removal of fenders etc. was also for function only, obviously to reduce weight. It was all about going faster and still is.

5. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

I think the first axles were bent in the middle to drop the ends. I think you can see it in the b&w book on Muroc. John

6. humpie

humpie

i dropped mine on my foot:eek:

7. Ford did factory dropped axles, and spindles, on so called 'drop-frame' Model T's in Britain from 1924. I have a drop frame '27 T.

From the book 'The English Model T Ford'

"1924 – 1925 English Drop Frame
    Independent of Ford USA, Trafford Park produces another uniquely English range of Model Ts known as the English Drop Frame models. A lower chassis and sleeker, more modern looking style with nickel plated brightwork."

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  8. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

it's been posted on the hamb before. the Race guys had all sorts of trick stuff. I remember someone posted an add that included dropped T axles before model A's came out.

9. lugnutz9032

lugnutz9032
    from Palatka,Fl

If you're looking for when companies like Dago and Mor-Drop came along someone can probably answer that.If you want to know how long dropped axles have been around......well,forever prettymuch.The first ones were basicly done by blacksmith types who heated 'em then beat the hell out of 'em.Quality control wasn't exactly in their vocabulary.Camber could easily vary a couple degrees from one side to the other.:eek: