Register now to get rid of these ads!

History When did the 50s 60s custom look end and when did it return ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by gtokid70, Sep 10, 2018.

1. gtokid70

gtokid70

Just woundering when the 50s 60s customs went out and its back ,but when did it come back ?

Sent from my SM-A520W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Special Ed

Special Ed

It never went away in many places. Just depends on where you are, I suppose ... ;)

egads, 1stGrumpy, texasred and 2 others like this.
  3. ebfabman

ebfabman

It never ended.

egads likes this.
  4. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

It ended?:mad: No one tells me anything!!

5. The '60s part still hasn't returned IMO.... You see lots of '50s-inspired cars, but when was the last time you saw somebody install quad lights on a new build? Hell, most guys if they find a old '60s custom, the first thing gone is the quad lights...

6. It's going to end next week, maybe tomorrow, depending on leap Chinese New Year. ;)

Rich S., theHIGHLANDER and scotty t like this.
  7. Sky Six

Sky Six
    from Arizona

Its always been around, you just haven't noticed.

8. 'Mo

'Mo

For practical purposes, the dawn of the Muscle Car Era effectively spelled the end.
    The auto manufacturers were heavily invested in performance automobiles, credit was readily available, the military had instituted the draft, and young men were buying off the showroom like there was no tomorrow.
    Of course, customizing continued, particularly in the Low Rider scene, but by and large, emphasis was mostly on performance.

The Kustom scene was revitalized in the seventies, due largely to the efforts of Jerry Titus,

From the Hot Rod Network...
    "credited with helping save the movement from oblivion during the ’70s...Jerry promoted the first Merc/Deuce Reunion, following it up two years later with the creation of the Kustom Kemps of Amercia (sic) club, which in turn produced the first Leadsled Spectacular in Wichita, Kansas, in 1981."

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  9. 20160624_160403.jpg 51 Vicky 002.jpg Did I miss something? The Wizzard

10. It ended on August 23 1976 and came back on February 12 1987.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Customs began to fade away in the late 50s. Cars were longer, lower, wider, better styled. Major mods like top chops, welding on different fenders, grilles etc were not necessary. You could buy a new car, shave off some of the chrome trinkets, give it a wild paint job and you were there.

Then came the muscle car era and customs practically disappeared.

The first efforts at revival were in the early 80s. Lead East and the Titus brothers come to mind.

hillbilly likes this.
  12. dan griffin

dan griffin

I am still reliving my Pissed away childhood.

13. morac41

morac41

Customs have been around since cars have been built and will continue forever

Pist-n-Broke and Special Ed like this.
  14. Special Ed

Special Ed

So there you have it. Midwest and east coast guys think that customs evaporated, if only for a decade or two, while the west coast folks witnessed something entirely different
    Proof: The Grand National Roadster Show that has run every year since 1949, and Blackie's Autorama that ran for over fifty years beginning in 1958. Both on the west coast.
    Location, location, location.

15. The Muscle car era only effected those Car Guys that did not have there Basic roots firmly planted. I have always known and built my Cars the way I think it should be and all my Kustoms have always had plenty of Muscle.
    Smokin 51.JPG I have always known you can have the best of both worlds. I guess you could call it my Religion. I'm over 70 and No regrets.
    The Wizzard

Ranchero59, Gotgas, scotty t and 5 others like this.
  16. Gman0046

Gman0046

Just attended the 2018 NSRA Nats with over 10,000 car. Very very few customs were there. Jus saying. Sure didn't look like customs are returning to me. 50's & 60's muscle cars seem to be in the majority.

Gary

17. For those of us that grew up in SoCal, and I'm sure other areas, during that era, it never died! It's as much a part of us as the nose on my face, see avatar!!!!

Special Ed likes this.
  18. I want to build me a custom '60 Impala with single headlights. Just so it will be custom.

I have never been a real custom guy, but I have either built or helped build quite a few and customs as we know them never really went away.

As for when they came back I guess when the Newstalgia trend hit. That is when they came back for the Nouvelle Hot Rodder. For the ret of us there has always been a place for anything that was not trendy anymore.

19. 296moon

296moon
    from england

here you go......... [​IMG]

20. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I think for So Cal general scene, it faded in late 60's and was held on by the Low Riders, especially paint. And Customs were out there, but not in numbers like now. I got into the car scene with vans on the early 70's and they would/could be customized, Yosemite Sam comes to mind.

Then after a few years rattleing around in a 65 Chevy truck, a friend convinced me to to a road trip to Oakland for some car show. At the GNRS was a chopped Merc like American Graffiti.

A move back to So Cal around 85 and a new job I actually had a boss that was a car guy, he built Merc's as a teenager. One day reading the Recycler I found him a Merc project and made him call. He ended up buying the Merc from Gene Winfield.

Then I ran into the West Coast Kustom crowd. Paso here we come. So, for me, it was Rich and Penny that held onto and pushed to revive Kustoms.

Did you ever hear the story of when the Choppers rolled in-mass and parked as a group at the park for the first time,,,Greasers!

Chili Phil likes this.
  21. I wonder when the KKOA was established? Granted that are a fringe group and never have had numbers. :rolleyes:

22. NO! Not single headlights, it's got to have a Mercury grill...

2013 Stray Kat 500  400-M.jpg

and don't forget the Pontiac tail lights!

Impala.JPG

23. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

It was still going strong in Southern Michigan, clear into the late 80s. moved to Wichita falls, Texas in 91, still pretty big there too. Moved to Montgomery Alabama, in 99, crickets. it depends on your location.

Special Ed likes this.
  24. LOL I forgot this guy, :rolleyes:
    :D :D :D

In Oregon when I was in high school Lucas Flame Throwers were illegal (although you could by them from Whittney). Anyone with quads and money first went to the local airport and bought landing lights to go in the high beam hole, for whatever reason the cops didn't bother you with landing lights, then next was a tube grill. I remember that in '68 I bought a bunch of 3/8 chrome plated copper tubing from the Army Surplus ( who knows what they used it for), 6' lengths. For a couple of years I was the tube grill king in my town. Helped pay the bills.

There was a '59 Bisquit running around that was a sweet custom and it had single headlights. Looked like it came that way, had a plate in the headlight bucket like a '62 Pickup only chrome. But that was a pretty rare sight.

25. So there ya go, modern classic customs started around '79. ;)

26. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Yup, I would say it ended in the mid sixties when the muscle cars came out, and started again in 1980 with the KKOA

27. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Hey Beaner I have a cal custom tube grille single headlight Chevy [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy, egads, Wraith and 2 others like this.
  28. All kidding aside, I do like the single headlight treatment...
    001.jpg

as well as the no headlight treatment...
    chevy-elcamino-custom-phant_med.jpeg

but much like the Mercury grille, the Cadillac grille makes for an appealing change...
    DSCN0387.JPG

Stogy and dwollam like this.
  29. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

30. town sedan

town sedan

Some say customs died, but lets not forget Mr. Pat Ganahl and the work he did to not let us forget them.
    -Dave