Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs When did customs start using Skylark wheels?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Comet, Jan 6, 2009.

1. So I know that in 1953 the Skylark was introduced and along with it came the handsome K-H wire wheels. I also know that this wheel was a top of the line choice in early 60's customs, especially "Bellflower" styles. I have seen some high dollar earlier 50's customs use these wheels, but not really what I would call traditional 50's customs. Some of Rick Dore's cars are an example. So here is my question. When did these wheels start showing up on customs? Was it right away? Where they using these wheels on 50's "k"ustoms? Or did they not appear until the 60's on customs?
    I have not seen them old magazines, but most older stuff I have is hot rod related.

2. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

those wheels were used the minute they were available to the public.

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Linkin-man, you are so right!

4. krooser

krooser

Never saw 'em in SE Wisconsin but they were on some cover cars in the little pages...

5. Weasel

Weasel

Um 1953 perhaps?

6. customcory

customcory

There were some rods and customs in the 50's with Buick wires, but it didn't seem like a trend then. In the west coast magazines I didn't notice Buick wires until the mid sixties showing up on the early Bellflower style cars and customs.Also the "street rods" of that time were going thru a resto rod type theme and Buick wires fit the style. I think this trend kept going until you couldn't afford a set, by the seventies , Tru- Spokes came out . Thats why I bought a set of Tru-Spokes when they first come out.I never could get a deal on a set of Buick wires, always too expensive just like the reproductions now.I always wanted a set.
    I use to ask my dad why the Buick wires weren't more popular back in the fifties in the south, he said they weren't that popular because of the bolt pattern and they were a little rare then. Down here I use to see them on the resto rod black lacquer Model A's and 40 Ford coupes but that was about 66-67 in car shows.
    Certain cars could benifit from a set like cars with large wheel openings in the rear , like 55 Nomads! I tend to not like seeing them covered up with skirts and what not.I hope they make a big comeback. Remember to use with skinny whitewalls.:D

7. Thanks customcory, good reply! Just what I was looking for. But your last comment is what got me thinking about this whole thread in the first place. Because skinny WWs didn't come about until the early 60's...so a skirted 50's custom with WWWs is kinda what I was wondering about and wanted to see pics of. And you could probably get away with a chromed steely in the back if the skirts were low enough, saving money.

8. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

trends were geographical.by the time something was hot in one spot,it iced over in another.tv,more rags,and computers made trends international.

9. buick320a

buick320a
    from indiana

Some of us still use them

Attached Files:

10. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I think Customcory is exactly right; they didn't become a big deal on customs and resto rods until the '60s, by which time skirts were seldom seen on the West Coast. Here are a couple of Lee Pratt's rides, two out of several that wore them well:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Yeah, that is what I was thinking too when I originally posted, 50Fraud, hence my post. I just don't recall seeing customs with wires and WWWs, but some of the earlier responses seemed to indicate otherwise. I can understand if they were used immediately, but I just haven't seen it in the old rags. The cars you posted above are sweet, but again, more early 60's looks.

12. customcory

customcory

This car always comes to mind. Thanks to Rikster!

P9090048-vi.jpg

13. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Wires and WWWs together was never a common combination -- a handful of sporty car guys did it on Jags and stuff in the '50s, but many of them thought it looked wimpy. The few customs that were done to resemble sports cars were more likely to use Borranis than Buicks, and those were big bucks even then.

I looked for these pictures for years, remembering that I had seen them in the early '50s and considering putting Borranis on my shoebox. I eventually bought some 16" Borranis, but was discouraged by the complexity of adapting them and re-sold them.

Edit: sorry, I mis-spoke in saying that wires and WWWs were rarely used together. When Detroit did sporty-looking models, that's exactly what they used: Eldorado, Skylark, various Mopar stuff too. I was really talking about the rod & custom community.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009