Register now to get rid of these ads!

History When did Chevy start using "Apache"....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 333 Half Evil, Jan 7, 2010.

1. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

I was wondering when Chevy began using Apache name on thier trucks? I was thinking it was 1958, but lately I've see several 55, 56, and 57 chevy pick-up that were called Apaches. I've seen pictures of the trucks, but no where on them did it say Apache, and a couple of them had the 58-59 fleetside boxes, but that wasn't original. I had thought that the Cameo came to end in 1957, and 1958 the Apache came to be.....:confused:

2. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Here lesbian bait:

1955 Second Series - First year for new body style. New "wrap-around" windshield - a truck industry first<SUP id=cite_ref-0 class=reference>[1]</SUP> - and optional wrap-around rear window on Deluxe cabs.<SUP id=cite_ref-1 class=reference>[2]</SUP> Power steering and power brakes are now available for the first time on GM trucks. Electrical system has been upgraded to 12 volts. Fenders have single headlights and one-piece emblem is mounted below horizontal line on fender.<SUP id=cite_ref-2 class=reference>[3]</SUP>
    1956 - Wider hood emblem. Two-piece fender emblems are now mounted above horizontal fender line. Last year for egg crate grille.
    1957 - Only year for more open grille. Hood is flatter with two spears on top, similar to the 1957 Bel Air. Fender emblems are still above fender line, but are now oval-shaped, as opposed to previous versions in script.
    1958 - First year for fleetside bed, significant redesign of front end. All &#8531;-ton trucks are now called Apaches. Truck now has four headlights instead of the previous two and features a shorter, wider grille running the width of the front end. Parking lights are now in the grille instead of being in the front of the fender and the hood is similar to 1955/1956 models, but with a flat "valley" in the middle. First year for factory-equipped air conditioning.
    1959 - Minimal changes from 1958. The last year that the NAPCO (Northwestern Auto Parts Company) "Powr-Pak" four-wheel drive conversion could be factory ordered.

3. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I'll add to what Brandy said. The '47-'55.1 trucks were known as AD or Advanced Design. '55.2-'59 were known as TF or Task Force trucks. As Brandy stated, the Apache designation began in '58.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  4. 55.2 through '59 are known as Task Force series trucks, I believe. This includes the Apache, Viking, models etc. in '58 and '59.

There were some '58 Cameos made but they are very few. I believe they also had the Apache designation but were only made early in the model year prior to the release of the Fleetside bed trucks. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Yep TF until '59. The Deluxe trim for the Fleetside was a 59 only thing as well. But to the best of my knowledge the Cameo's were available along side the Fleetside, then disappeared. I really miss my '59.

[​IMG]

It wasn't the prettiest but served me well.

6. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

Actually the 58 style Fleetside bed came out in 57 as a special edition. Available in both long bed and short bed. Not many around now and for sure were not many sold in 57.

7. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

This was the steel fleetside bed? It may have came out in 57, but it was the 58 model year, right? The "fleetside" box on the 1955-1957 model year trucks was a fibreglass one, called a Cameo.

8. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Wasn't the "Cameo" 1955-1957 considered a fleetside? Granted it was not a steel box like that on the 58-59, but it was a fleet side box...wasn't it? If not, why would it not be considered a fleetside? By the way, I know the differences in the body styles, emblems etc. the question was about the name Apache. Lately there has been a few 1955-1957 chevy trucks for sale and around that the owners were calling Apaches. I didn't think the Apache name designation was used on the 1955-1957 chevy trucks. Thanks.

9. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Just had this in an email to me:
    Chevy Task Force Pickups
    1955-59

Phil Skinner

For 1958 a total redesign of the front end sheet metal gave the Task Force trucks a new look. Topping the design was the employment of the industry-wide adoption of quad headlights, along with a massive front grille. Also new on for Chevrolet trucks was a model name: Apache. Base Apaches featured a light beige or off-white grille, front bumper and hubcaps, which could be substituted with bright metal trim for a price. While the Cameo had not been a big seller, it did spawn new design ideas for pickup beds. Another new term was introduced: Fleetside. The Fleetside replaced the Cameo early in the model year, and saw strong sales. Devoid of individual fenders, these new trucks had all-steel contoured side panels and a larger bed capacity than the Cameo or other units with independent fenders, now known as "stepsides".
    Prior to 1958 Chevrolet trucks with four-wheel drive had to depend on outside suppliers, most notably NAPCO, to perform 4WD driveline conversions. In 1958, a GM-designed unit became available for all basic Chevrolet light and medium duty trucks. Another option new that year was Cool-Pak air conditioning. This was a dealer installed factory-authorized system.

(C) Copyright 1999-2001 VMR International, Inc. This article originally appeared in the March 2000 issue of Collector Car & Truck Market Guide

There was much more info, but this covered what I was looking for. Thanks Tim for the email.

10. squirrel

squirrel

The cameo had smooth outer bedsides, but it was a step side bed, not a fleetside. It was also expensive. 58 was the first fleetside the bed could hold a lot more than the earlier trucks, and it was the first Apache.

11. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

Nope, they were 57 cab with the steel 58 style fleetside beds, very few made.

12. You're right...I had a '58 Cameo. Came with more trim than the 55-57s. Mine was a tacky light green and white tutone..My ex brother in law loaned it to a buddy who piled it into a telephone pole...wrecked the front but the back was unharmed.

13. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Where did you get this info? I would like to know more about this truck as it must be very rare. What model number was it? Was it offered in long and short? 1/2 and/or 3/4 ton? This is opposite of any info I've had, as the fibreglass side box was used into the early 58 production run, then the steel fleetside box was used.

14. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

Rocky, did your truck have both designations on it? Cameo and Apache? Or was it just Cameo? Do you have pics of the truck? Thanks.

15. I don't remember seeing any Apache emblems on it...I never clicked a photo of the truck...even after I sold it to my borther-in-law who painted it flat black and changed the rebuilt 283 for a hotrod 327/4 speed.
    I think it had Cameo designations on the bed sides tho..been a long time!
    The only Apache emblems I ever remember seeing were on the B-pillars of 60 and later trucks...I had a 64 Apache with aluminum Apache emblems on each B-pillar.

16. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

so the big question is, were ther stepsides called stepsides before there were fleetsides?

17. No. You see, when there is only one type of bed (ie: Step Side), it is not called any but "pickup".

It's like WWI. It was called "The War to End ALL Wars" Then another large scale war, and TWtEAW became WWI. Up until then, it wasn't 'first', it was 'only'.

Think of it this way: you are not Frank Sr. until you have a Frank Jr.

Cosmo

18. squirrel

squirrel

when did you see this truck? If it was after 1957, and you have no documentation that it was originally that way, I'm betting that someone put a 58/9 bed on an earlier truck.

19. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

to my knowledge all 58's had an emblem on the front fender that said cheverolet, and the numerical designation on the front, and apache on the back of the emblem.
    the 58 cameos also had the cameo emblem on the bed, and the fleetsides had a fleetside emblem on thier bed.

567 trucks just had the emblem on the front fender with the chevrolet and the model designation.

what you are running into is misinformed people calling early trucksapaches, because they think they are the same as the 58-59.
    it is just the same as people refering to 59-60 chevs as bubble tops.

Attached Files:

20. Never, ever, heard that. I think someone is pulling your leg...or you're pulling ours.

21. 54oldie

54oldie
    from Oklahoma

The 57 Cameo had a front fender spear that had 3124 on them. The 58's did not have the 3124 on their spear. I have a 58 Cameo. Also for the ones with a V-8, the front badge on the hood had a wide "v" on their emblem.

22. Fleetside is strictly a Chevy term, although it has been used to describe other brands of truck beds. GMC used the term Wideside, for example.

Exactly right! The Cameo fender and front emblems were the same as any other 1/2 ton 3100 series truck, at least in '58.

It seems as though I remember that there may have been a 3124 fender emblem in previous years, but I'm not sure.

23. Man! That's a really sweet truck you got there!! Got any more pics?

24. Gator

Gator

25. Mine came with factory option electric two speed wipers and chrome dash knobs in addition to the stainless trim around the door glass and across the back of the cab. My SWB Apache came with chrome front and rear bumpers, painted grille and a blanking plate where the radio goes. The truck was gold and cream two tone originally and the paint code on the data plate just says "SPEC". I am the second owner and have all of the original documentation from when it was bought at Morris Chevrolet in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. I even have the original metal plate that that came with the warranty and service manual. The original six didn't have an oil filter on it because Mr. Perry said he couldn't afford the extra few dollars it cost to add one on. I believe he said the truck cost $1840.00 all of which he saved in order to pay cash when he bought it. I have the sales agreement but don't feel like digging it out of the firesafe.

When I got the truck from Mr. Perry it still had road maps in the glove box with penciled in notes and the route (via US 66) from Oklahoma to California and back for their family vacation in 1959. I used to keep the maps and the original service manual and paperwork in the glovebox until I caught someone trying to "borrow" it at a car show.

26. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

I can assure you, I'm not pulling anything. As a student at Cisco Jr College, a local printer in town bought one from the local dealer. It was a short bed. Later while living in Richardson, TX a local pharmacist had a long bed for sale. Both were 57, big back windows, fleetside beds. Like I said there were very few made. I have no reason to believe either was not purchased as they were. Both had 3100 tags on the hood. No Apache designation at all. I had a 58 special edition short bed, big back window, fleetside bed, special paint scheme. Also did not have Apache emblem anywhere, only 3100.

27. squirrel

squirrel

It didn't have the 58 fender emblems? or did it have non-58 emblems? were the holes filled?

Sure wish you had something to back this up.....not that I don't trust other people's memory after 50 years, but I know mine is flaky after not quite that long

Attached Files:

28. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

29. Very cool! I have the same truck except as a 32 instead of a 31. Anniversary Gold/Bombay Ivory, data plate marked "SPEC". Big back window with all the chrome and stainless, 6-cyl, chrome knobs, chrome hub caps, Cameo type trim rings. Mine did come with a radio and an oil filter. Mine was purchased new by our neighbor when I was a kid and my Dad bought it from him in about 1965. I got when my Dad passed away in 1977. Mine is still all original but needs paint and has rust on the bottom of the driver's door, rear bumper is pretty rusty. It's looking rather sad actually. It's next in line though. It was real nice until it sat outside for about 10 years. My ex-wife couldn't have that "junk" taking up space in the garage...bitch.

:)The new wife is awesome. She loves my trucks!

30. squirrel

squirrel

One of my 59s came with the deluxe trim, two tone, long bed fleetside, deluxe heater/radio/spotlight installed, and posi rearend (first year, kind of rare). And it's a 6 cyl 3 speed small window truck.