Register now to get rid of these ads!

History When a car comes home

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ron Brown, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Several years back I picked up a 38 Chevy Coupe from a local tow yard. Got it home and my dad came by to check it out as he had one when I was born. As we were looking it over he was telling me all about it and how he had glued 1938 coins in all the dash knobs. Yup, what knobs were left still had the coins firmly glued in place. Dad owned it in 53 and I by chance, got it back in the late 70s. I gave it to my Dad for a birthday gift and he still has it today.

Just wondering if you all have any stories about the one that got away and later returned home.

These are the only pics I could find after 2 hrs of digging thru the attic. Bad quality but these are pics of pics that are 62 and 40 yrears old. My old man is sending me current pics....i will post when I get them.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
    1947knuck, catdad49, Rui and 8 others like this.
  2. clem

clem

That's neat !
    Great gift to your dad.
    Any pics and any more to the story ?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Wow, that is a great story, thanks for sharing, maybe some pictures?

4. 327Eric

327Eric

I found a Henry J I had sold in 2000 in eBay in 2010,and bought it back. It was much worse for the wear, but had all the parts I needed for mine still on it, and everything in the interior just as I had left it. I needed the parts years ago, but couldn't keep it due to financial problems.

5. This is where pictures of the '38 would be appropriate.:D;)

kidcampbell71 likes this.

6. WHAT HE SAID!!!

Ben

volvobrynk and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. Bought this 57 Pontiac in 68...blew the 4th, 3 speed transmission in 71 and couldn't find another one so I sold it....traded a ratty 55 chevy back for it in late 71 and updated it with '59, 389/muncie 4 speed.
    Sold it again in 72 and I've been looking for it for years...
    57Ponchoonstreet.jpg
    Wish I could find it again.

kidcampbell71 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. Cool story, Rocky. Here's hoping that you and the Pontiac are one again reunited.:)

i.rant likes this.
  9. Damn. I love it. What's up with just one picture ? And that one looks like the "going away" view. :) Sets good .... stock or convertible springs ?

10. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I THINK WE NEED TO SEE A PICTURE OF THE 38 CHEVY AND THE FATHER TOGETHER. YOU KNOW THE GUY WHO GLUE THE COINS TO THE KNOBS. YOU DON'T KNOW HOW HARD IT WAS TO PEEL THOSE COINS OFF WHEN APPROACHING THE TOLL BOOTH (ONLY KIDDING) AT 60 MPH. ONLY KIDDING, BUT IT WOULD BE GREAT TO HAVE A OLD PICTURE WHEN THE FATHER WAS A YOUNG MAN, AND A CURRENT PICTURE, WHERE THE OLD GUY IS BETTER LOOKING AND SANDING NEXT TO A SEXY 38 CHEVY.

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

This thread is worthless without pictures.

12. Why not just appreciate the story for what it is? A story. Use your imagination.
    Some my best memories are stories with no pictures.

13. ...they musta made good glue back then,...I'd like pics also.

14. Roughly 20 years ago I was building a 1932 Ford sedan and about 2 years into the build my mom's health took a nose dive and between the long hours at work and trying to take care of her I just about lost interest and the car just sat.

[​IMG]

A acquaintance (Roger)had expressed interest in the car and I had told him I wasn't interested in selling but a friend of mine ask me if I was interested in his Deuce roadster a few weeks later and I called Roger and a deal was made on the phone.

The day he showed up with cash in had and a roll back,I watched the car leave the driveway and felt sick and knew I made a mistake.

Long story short,Roger and I became friends and we communicated often over the years and every time we talked at a show or on the phone I would ask him if he was ready to sell me back my old car.he would smile and say "you will have to take that up with Beverly when I'm dead and gone."

I last saw Roger at the swap meet in Fletcher,North Carolina and we talked for almost a hour and a few months later I heard he had passed away.

I was informed of his passing by his and my friend Ralph who was a hamber,I attended his funeral but never mentioned the sedan but a few months later Beverly called me and said that Roger had it written in his will to give me the first shot at buying the car back.

You guys know I bought it back and it took a long time but I am extremely happy to once again own the car.

What I really like is Roger like the way I built the car and changed very little.
    The day I drove the sedan back home from North Carolina,this photo was taken on Fathers Day but felt like Christmas. HRP
    [​IMG]

15. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

dont get any better

HOTRODPRIMER and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

when i get home ill have to pull out the old photo box. somewhere i have pics of the car from back in 53 and when i got it. i will try to find some and post

clem, HOTRODPRIMER, Tim and 1 other person like this.
  17. pumpman

pumpman

Love these kind of warm and fuzzy stories! That is a cool one hotrodprimer. Ron, HAMB rule, no pics it never happened. Sorry dude.

HOTRODPRIMER and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. Great story, Danny. Sad to lose a good friend. What a thoughtful friend he was to leave that directive in his will.

clem and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  19. I captured this old MG body a few years back from one of the fellas in Arizona. he got it at a swap meet and when he put it up for sale I remembered my Ol' Man's altered from way back when and had to have it.

I had it in the back yard for a few weeks and my little brother showed up and saw it and said, "where did you get your dad's old car?" I blew it off because he had only seen pics that my sis had showed him. Then Mom came to visit, she walked around it, then kicked it and said, "What are you doing with your dad's old car?" So I quizzed her because she was there. She pointed out the brazes on the doors and said, "I wanted him to weld them all the way shut and he just did these little welds" then she went into my shop and came back with some MEK and a rag and wiped a spot on the door, and said, "see its white underneath. I wanted him to paint it red and he wouldn't do it."

Last raced in '64 or '65 as I recall. I am going to get it back on the track one day, not like he had it we never agreed on drivetrains. LOL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rui, 302GMC, volvobrynk and 8 others like this.
  20. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

21. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

had a 62 Cadillac Sedan Deville 30 years ago , real nice, white with a perfect black leather interior. sold it to a guy I know for $2500.00 and several months later I'm talking to another guy who told me the guy I sold it to was trying to sell it for $500.00 because the trans went out and someone told him it would cost $900.00 to fix. he had called another friend who buys and sells a lot of cars. luckily the guy he called didn't want it because it was a 4 door and didn't think it was worth anything.

I go to get it and it is sitting in the street under a pine tree looking like shit covered in sap and needles. put trans fluid in it and drove it home, put it up on jacks and had a look and there was a hole in the trans cooler lines where they had been rubbing together for 50 years, 5" of rubber hose and two hose clamps along with a day of cleaning and I was back in business, then I sold it again a couple months later.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. donno

donno

Back in 1955, I paid $350.00 for a Black 48 Mercury coupe with a warmed over flathead. Drove it till 1960 when I enlisted and went overseas. Sold it to a guy in Wa. Couple of years later I buy it back from him, still looked good. traded for a 54 Merc "Glass top"(straight trade). Left the country and sold the 54. 2 years ago, my sister see's the 48 with a for sale sign in the window, she swears it's my old 48. It was, now it's home again. Black lacquer not so good, but my high school buddy's striping look as good as the day he did it.

volvobrynk and Fedman like this.
  23. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

I grew up riding in the Nomad in my avatar. Dad owned it from approx. 1969-1978. I learned how to drive it in, 4sp. and all. Watched American Graffiti at the drive-in, sitting on the tailgate. We actually drove it to the first and second MHRA fall picnics in the early 70's. Many cool memories. Anyway... I found it at the 1998 Woodward dream cruise, sitting between a couple of small buildings. First time the guy had it out in years, with a "For Sale" sign. Turns out, same guy dad had sold it to 20 yrs. earlier. Dad still has small bits and pieces from his ownership and the LT-1 cam we removed together, around '75. Here's a pic from about '74, at a club picnic. Oh, by the way, that's my teenage son in my avatar. He's already claimed it! PD_0009[1].JPG

Rui, volvobrynk, dana barlow and 4 others like this.
  24. too many fords

too many fords
    from Las Vegas

nothings come back yet, but this year I sold two cars back to the guys who sold em to me

25. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

I've had a couple return a few years after I'd sent them away, but neither is HAMB friendly. Gene

26. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

That my friends is why I. DSS ...don't sell shit!

27. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Spent all afternoon digging thru the attic and here are the pics I could find. These are pics of pics so they arent the best but it was 62 and 40 years ago. Cant find any finished pics but my old man, and I do mean old, 80 this month will send pics as soon as he can. Sorry cant figure out how to keep pics in order. View attachment 3078858 image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

28. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I like the white top.........and the slots.

29. pumpman

pumpman

Ron, we're half way there! Now show us what it looks like now, I know we are a pain in the ass. You started a great thread man, keep it going.