Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Wheelstand Burnout

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aussie57wag, Jul 16, 2019.

1. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

Im looking for a pic of a car doing a wheelstand and burnout at the same time. A guy tells me its impossible. If seen many pics of old drag cars doing it. I just never saved one. I found them on google but cant down load them on the ph.

Stogy likes this.
  2. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

A quick google is all you need.

Attached Files:

3. Drag cars in motion thread started by royalshifter . just 13 items down on this page right now .

Stogy and Deuces like this.
  4. Lots of red Xs in the drag cars thread so i found a few for you and your phone.
    ( Unless your mate wants to see a passenger car burnout wheelstand )
    1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

5. millersgarage

millersgarage

I've seen many photos of this, but never understood how it happens.
    it's like too much traction and a loss of traction at the same time.

6. Deuces

Deuces

Lots of torque! :D

VANDENPLAS, s55mercury66 and Stogy like this.
  7. rooman

rooman

And none of those photos are of "burnouts". They are all from the days prior to burnouts and slider clutches and are of the actual run. For those of you too young to have seen that sort of action in the flesh you have to remember that the tires were the "torque converter/slider clutch" that we have today. You went to the line with the tires cold, brought the revs up and stepped off the clutch pedal. The tires slipped and smoked off the line (and generally for some distance down track) until the car built enough velocity for the wheel speed to match the engine rpm's.
    There was no "water box" behind the start line and no traction compound sprayed on the track either, just the rubber put down by other racers.

Roo

0ldracer, Spoggie, Stogy and 11 others like this.
  8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I didn't have the power for a wheel stand running in G Stock in 1969 but looking back if I hadn't spun the too skinny tires off the line I'd probably have broke something on a too regular basis when I was racing at Little River in 1969.

Spoggie likes this.
  9. It is pure displacement.

Look for mud bogger vids to help you understand. A well built mud bogger skims the top of the bog. if it stopped it would sink to about mid door. it does this because it displaces more mud then the car weighs. Same with a dragster except it is displacing asphalt. the asphalt don't fly like the mud but you see rubber flying in the form of smoke. same principle.

s55mercury66 and Deuces like this.
  10. RmK57

RmK57

IMG_2029.JPG One of my favorites......

loudbang and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. Not enough initial wheel speed to get the car moving off the starting line to prevent the pinion gear from tying to climb up the ring gear. Keep in mind that these cars were 1:1 drive with no slippage in the drivetrain once the clutch was fully engaged.

Deuces and loudbang like this.
  12. Here is a relatively recent picture of Brian Fox in Zorba's Ghost. The ride got way more exciting after this picture. Look up Mokan Donut on you tube for a video. I did not take this picture, and can't credit the photographer. Zorba's ghost.jpg

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't hang out with that guy.

14. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Granted, this is not a wheels up, "burnout".

[​IMG]

Yes Martha, it CAN be done.
    I've seen Mike Boyd, in the Winged Express, at Fomoso (Bakersfield), do a "burnout", front tires off the track surface by about 2+ feet, AND...be sideways, stop, backup, and do it again during the actual run.
    I know I have photos of this somewhere, I'll keep looking.

Mike

P.s. - Beside, what difference does it make, burnout or not ?
    1. The car is spinning the tires,
    2. The car is in motion.
    3. The car has just enough traction to lift the front tires, 1" to 2'.
    Note that this would be best done with a short wheelbase car, big tire, and toward the middle or end of the burnout when the tires are dry,I'd imagine.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    loudbang likes this.