Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Wheels -- Which ones look the best ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 47ragtop, Sep 7, 2019.

1. 47ragtop

47ragtop

I can't leave well enough alone or is it just hot rodding ? I have been a Torque Thrust guy since the 60's, but I just don't like the gaps ( between the front and rear of the tires to the fenders beads) with 15 by 6 F-100 0 offset wheels as opposed to the Americans 15 by 7 with 1/2" positive offset. The tires are both 225/75 R15 which is about the max for a 40 fender opening. Both styles of the front wheels are both 15 by 6 with 0 offset so no change up front It took me over 2 years to find a pair of 15 by 6 and 15 by 7 original wheels with the 5 on 5 1/2 bolt circle that I could afford Let me hear your opinions. Later Bill

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. belair

belair

You're over thinking it. The TTs look a little more muscular, the steelies look normal, i.e. just fine.

3. They both look bitchin
    I like the Americans myself
    Lower the car a 1/2 inch or less and rock on.
    Buuuuuuuuttttt the Steelies are just as sexy

A8100320-DC7C-4006-B4BA-243E3DAD8247.gif
    What ever you choose that car kicks ass !!

32SEDAN, chryslerfan55 and 47ragtop like this.
  4. Torque thrusts

47ragtop and Deuces like this.

5. 19Fordy

19Fordy

It all depends on "the look" you desire.
    TT look a little bit "mean" like your car is egging for a street race or the strip.
    Steelies look a little more sedate and "stockish".
    Both look good.

chryslerfan55 and 47ragtop like this.
  6. X-cpe

X-cpe

Who are you trying to please?

7. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Steelies….

47ragtop likes this.
  8. A Boner

A Boner

The correct answer is.....YES!

9. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Why ask OTHERS about YOUR car (wheels) ?
    Who's car is this, yours or someone elses ?
    Build to what YOU want..!

Beside, THEY ARE JUST FREAKEN WHEELS. Swap them on a whim, fer Christ sake, take you twenty minutes.

Mike

10. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Steelies big and little look is timeless in my opinion and Torque Thrust wheels look great but too popular a choice by many at the moment for me. Your car your choice. It's like asking which is better look for ladies attributes. Are you a leg man or chest. My opinion shouldn't change yours. Acquire both types (wheels) and change as it suits you.

11. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

To be totally honest, I like your avatar pic with the wide whites (I like very few cars with wide whites) on the steelies better. I've always thought your car just looked right with all the red and the wide whites. That's my choice.

Why not have 2 sets? Run whatever you feel like on any given weekend? Why limit yourself? Are you getting rid of whatever you (we?) decide against in this informal poll?

Put wide whites back on the steelies and swap the TT's on for a few occasions just to keep people guessing. Hell, put the TT's on the front and pull the caps and trim rings off the backs for another "look".

SPark

chryslerfan55, Hnstray and 47ragtop like this.
  12. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Torque thrusts all the way. If you want a different look, how about some Ansen style 5 hole aluminum slots?

13. I ask the same thing recently, opinions vary. HRP

Desoto291Hemi and Deuces like this.
  14. HRP,

Did you get beat up like this guy for asking?
    I like the TT myself.

Sometimes the avatars say a lot about a person!

Tommy

15. 47ragtop

47ragtop

That is my plan. 2 sets of wheels-- 2 completely different looks.

arkiehotrods, chryslerfan55 and WB69 like this.
  16. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Run one pair on each side...problem solved

17. 47ragtop

47ragtop

:D
    NO , Mike it takes me 30 minutes now.:D:D

chryslerfan55 and belair like this.
  18. belair

belair

^^^^^ I thought the same thing.

19. ...I'd run www's on black rims with maybe trim rings and lugnut chrome covers...no hubcaps

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  20. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

I like both. Like your idea of having both sets. That's what I have done before. Have actually had people ask if I'd got another car when the other set was on.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  21. TTs when going to the bachelor party.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Steelies at the wedding.

22. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

Lower it and get bias ply's for both sets of wheels.....

teach'm, cactus1 and 47ragtop like this.
  23. 47ragtop

47ragtop

No thanks. I like radials.

24. 47ragtop

47ragtop

I also like WWW on black wheels, BUT that would mean another set of new tires. $$$

25. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Your 1940 red coupe looks great either way. The other choice is in your avatar, with the whitewalls, it gives is a somewhat sedate look. The smoothies and color on blackwalls is the look we eventually settled on back in our teen years.
    upload_2019-9-9_2-50-9.png
    The color of our 40 Ford Sedan Delivery was supposed to be racer orange. But a midnight paint job, for the first time, in a darkened driveway looked nice and in the daylight, came out a salmon pink. That was one reason the former owner sold the sedan delivery to me.

At the time, I wanted a set of American Mag Torq Thrust 5 Spokes. But, they were so far out of reach that it was silly…but, we can and did dream. We spent days and weeks trying out different looks from black rims and small hubcaps, to adding beauty trim rings and blackwalls. We even leaned a set of chrome reversed wheels against the sedan delivery and checked out the look. It was OK, but not like the 5 spokes would have looked.

So, as time and money always play an important part in making decisions as a teen. We finally settled on the beauty trim rings, black rims, small hubcaps and it stayed that way for 5 years. No fuss, no bother and no thefts for the whole time.

Jnaki

On your car, the red rims and small hubcaps seem to fit better under the lip of the fenders. It is not worth it to cram up wider rims and tires, only if you have to worry about every bump or dip in the road. The red rims look like a better fit. If the American 5 spokes fit better, then that would give the 40 coupe a racer look vs hot rod cruiser look.

With what is shown in the photos, it would be fun to see the whole coupe with both sets of rims on it for comparison. Front and rear wheel openings with the right size tires and rims will make a difference.

47ragtop likes this.
  26. ...ahhh, it's only money and you only live once...

47ragtop likes this.
  27. When his lettering or striping work didn't come out exactly the same on both sides of a race car, a sign painter friend of mine would always say, "Don't worry about it. You can't see both sides at the same time anyway." ;) (miss ya, Oggy!)

47ragtop likes this.
  28. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I like both looks equally. I have torq thrusts on my '40 right now, and chrome wheels with narrow whitewalls and spider caps on my Nomad. Since they're both 4.75 bolt circle, I can swap them out for a new look. And swap back.
    Either way, your coupe looks great!

47ragtop likes this.
  29. TTs always look at home on a 40

47ragtop likes this.
  30. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

I see what u did there

chevy57dude likes this.