Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Wheels & Tires for Late-60s Inspired A Coupe Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by brianf31, Jul 26, 2017.

1. brianf31

brianf31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm going after a late-60s or maybe even early 70s style on my '31 A coupe build. Since I got this coupe from my dad, I thought I'd build it up as he might have done when he came of age around then.

What specific tires and wheels would you suggest? I'm thinking narrow 26" diameter or less in the front and 28-30" rear at 12"+ wide (it will be a big block and will see some strip time). I'm not opposed to cheater slicks.
    I currently have smooth steel wheels with '46 Ford caps in the rear but I'm not set on keeping them. For reference, I currently have 28" rear tires and 26" front tires.

Attached Files:

2. Chrome steel wheels, blackwall tires.

3. brianf31

brianf31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Chrome steel would look right. What brand of tires nail the look?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. By then, street cars were heavily influenced by drag racing.

For wheels, look at chrome steelies, aluminum 5-spokes, kidney bean Halibrands and Cragar SS 5-spokes. In the early 70's, aluminum mags like Ansens ruled.

Matched styles looked more showy on the street, mismatched looked more racy.

HEMI32, 31hotrodguy and brianf31 like this.

5. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

As stated above, drag racing was a big influence. So was Indianapolis. In the late '60's-early '70's tires were getting wider. Some guys put fat low profile tires on hot rods. Sticking way out of the fenders. I was young then and did not appreciate tradition, so I thought it looked great. I was wrong. In my opinion, chrome reverse would be early to mid '60's. Late '60's you want 5-spokes, Halibrands, Ansen Sprints, or Cragar SS.

6. RDE

RDE

You might consider American Mag's and Goodyear Blue Streak tires.

7. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

Get some Towel City Recaps for the rear and some Street tires for front. They also have front runners available.

brianf31 and Just Gary like this.
  8. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

chrome steel slots would rock on that thing.....

slowmotion and Just Gary like this.
  9. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

First, I would determine what "look" I was after..... race, street, cruiser,etc. In the timeframe you're looking at, chopped and channeled was "street" and had it's own look. Far be it from me to not blend styles and make a kind of schizophrenic look, but "race" for the period was less about channeled and more about rake.
    BTW, this is the period I enjoy the most as my builds tend to be less "traditional".

10. Here's our coupe in 1967, 1969, & 1973:

The HEMI32 Coupe - 1967.jpg
    The HEMI32 Coupe - 1969.jpg
    The HEMI32 Coupe - 1973.jpg
    American Racing (magnesium) LeMans series Torq Thrust on the front
    American Racing (magnesium) Torq Thrust on the rear
    Goodyear Blue Streaks on all four corners​

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    Racer29, dan31, RDE and 9 others like this.
  11. brianf31

brianf31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks all. Those are some nice options to consider. I've always liked the Halibrands and Torq Thrusts.
    It looks like Summit carries Goodyear Blue Streaks.
    So if I'm looking at Towel City, I assume I want the "Traditional Cheater Slick"? Is the traction pretty decent, and will they hold up at speed? I'm going to run it at the strip on occasion.

12. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Real Blue streaks haven't been made in a loooong time.

HEMI32 likes this.
  13. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

Yes under the Traditional Cheater Slicks. The nice thing is they are Recapped Modern Radial Tires so they are nice on the road as well as the track. I have seen many posts from them about the traction being good and running well at speed. I plan to run a set on my 34 Ford PU when I get it done.

brianf31 likes this.
  14. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

My personal favorite on my '31
    [​IMG]

Just Gary likes this.
  15. Actually late 60s and early 70s appliance or western slots would have been appropriate.

Depending on where you were located, fat tires all the way around would have been as popular as bigs n littles. By about 73-75 Resto rods were becoming popular

Just Gary likes this.
  16. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Had US Indy slots back then with 14" fronts and 15" rears

porknbeaner likes this.
  17. Yep very common, and very favorable combo.

@Mr T body don't know if you are aware the Indys weighed less than the other US slots.

18. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Had no idea. Was young and stupid and just thought they looked cool. That explains why my '54 Ford wagon was so fast.

19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Check here, and on eBay for car mags from late 60's - early 70's and buy some to look through for what catches your eye and you like. Then go for it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. AHotRod

AHotRod

Here is what they looked like in the late-early '70s

31frd11.jpg

and this

1506420_480706352049476_1212359495_n.jpg

and this

b062ff0c87165617d082aa639398d983.jpg

21. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Off the top of my head, and what I've been planning on, is about a 4" difference in tire diameters, front to rear. That gives (my math may not be all that great) a 2" difference between the front and rear axle / front spindle heights. Over 100" of wheelbase, that's a 2 percent rubber rake. Most rods are a tad longer, so it would be a little less. I've been thinking of 25" tall fronts (so they will fit in my planned spare tire cover front fenders) and 29" tall rears. But going up an inch or two wouldn't look all that bad either, especially with narrow rims and tires. IMHO, Gary

brianf31 likes this.
  22. Gary your numbers are pretty close. If your building an A I think your wheel base is closer to 103" But you can change that up a bit by going spring in front, I think it is about a 7" change if you leave the spring in the stock location. I personally think it looks odd that way but it is an option.

One thing that we as rodders have missed for gawd knows how long is the spindle V rear axle center. It isn't as noticeable on a car as say a bike but in a perfect world you really want the spindle center to match the rear axle center, or be above it. That is why some rods are bad to bulldog,

Sooooo ad that to your vault of useless information. :D

I am sure that someone will say Naaaayyyyy to your build but I like where you are going with this. You are actually building the way I built them in the late '60s, using the old guys cast off parts and tires because they had to be stylish. ;) I am seeing one of my old heaps in my mind right now. Thanks for the memory.

23. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

30" rears and 23" fronts on my '31 coupe give me a 5* rubber rake.

24. RDE

RDE

In my opinion it is really hard to look much better than that! Very nice HEMI32!

HEMI32 likes this.
  25. dan31

dan31

Hemi32's car nails it. If your going to run without rear fenders go with 30 or 31" rear tires .

HEMI32 likes this.
  26. tomc

tomc

27. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

personally i prefer smooth chrome wheels and thin whitewalls. butt by the late sixties that look was OLD. mags and blackwalls with raised white letters was the new look. even red line was old.

Just Gary likes this.
  28. brianf31

brianf31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Does anyone have any pics of traditional cheater slicks mounted on fenderless rods? I've seen plenty of the pie crusts on here.

29. christmas tree

christmas tree

Coker front and rear white wall

30. christmas tree

christmas tree

There is a lot of diffrance in early 60 and late 60 I had a street roadster in 67-68 and clung on to the early 60,s and that is why I recomend the above.