Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wheel Size

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RAF, Jul 17, 2010.

1. RAF

RAF
    from MA.

Just picked up a nice set of 9:50 x 14 wide whitewall tires off C-list, have a set of 14 x 5 rims and was wondering if the wheels are wide enough for the tire. Thanks.

2. Typically the rim should match the tread. If the side walls are pulled in to seat on a narrow rim it will put a crown in tread of tire. If the treads are 9.5" wide then I would think you would at least want a 8-9" wide rim.

3. RAF

RAF
    from MA.

4. you didn't say what brand tire you have but here are the specs on a similar tire but a quick search on a web site that sell tires tells you:

950-14 B.F.GOODRICH 2 1/2" Whitewall Tire

PRODUCT INFORMATION

<SCRIPT language=javascript type=text/javascript src="http://store.cokertire.com/skin/frontend/default/coker/js/script.js"></SCRIPT><TABLE class=data-table><TBODY><TR><TD class=att2>SKU: </TD><TD class=att3></TD><TD class=att>54620<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>//<![CDATA[decorateTable('product-attribute-specs-table');//]]></SCRIPT> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=att2>[​IMG] Overall diameter: </TD><TD class=att3></TD><TD class=att>29.5"<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>//<![CDATA[decorateTable('product-attribute-specs-table');//]]></SCRIPT> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=att2>[​IMG] Cross section: </TD><TD class=att3></TD><TD class=att>9.05"<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>//<![CDATA[decorateTable('product-attribute-specs-table');//]]></SCRIPT> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=att2>[​IMG] Tread width: </TD><TD class=att3></TD><TD class=att>5.4"<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>//<![CDATA[decorateTable('product-attribute-specs-table');//]]></SCRIPT> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=att2>[​IMG] Load capacity: </TD><TD class=att3></TD><TD class=att>2000lbs @ 32 psi<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>//<![CDATA[decorateTable('product-attribute-specs-table');//]]></SCRIPT> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=att2>Tread depth: </TD><TD class=att3></TD><TD class=att>11<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>//<![CDATA[decorateTable('product-attribute-specs-table');//]]></SCRIPT> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=att2>Tube type: </TD><TD class=att3></TD><TD class=att>Tubeless<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>//<![CDATA[decorateTable('product-attribute-specs-table');//]]></SCRIPT> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=att2>Max inflation: </TD><TD class=att3></TD><TD class=att>32<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>//<![CDATA[decorateTable('product-attribute-specs-table');//]]></SCRIPT> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Cross section is 9.05 inches, I think your going to want a rim wider than 5". I am sure they'll mount up. They'll just have a crown in the tread on a 5" rim.

5. F&J

F&J

Working in a tire shop in the 60s, I believe the 9.50 was for hearses and ambulances based on the big Cadillac. I kind of doubt there was any Cad wheel wider than 6" back when that size came out ?

Switching outer hoops on your wheels is not too bad of a job, if you can't find 6" in your bolt pattern.

6. 55vicky

55vicky

The 5in rim is wide enough that tire more than likely has a tread in between 4.5 and 6 so the rim should be between 4 and 6

7. RAF

RAF
    from MA.

Thanks for all your help. The tires are made by Lester, I just picked up a set of 14 x 6 wheels just have to get them sandblasted and painted an should be good to go. Thanks again.