Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Wheel Reversal,Buick Hoops Ford Centers, what to use?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by John 79, Aug 13, 2014.

1. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

I want to build my own reversed Wheels for my 29 RPU.
    I need some info on what Buick rims i can use and what Ford center that fits.
    A friend of mine has some 1950 Buick rims, havent seen them yet but i hope they have the right slope.

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

What I found when building some wider and/or reversed wheels for one of my Buicks is that the hoop inner diameter was 12 5/8" for most of my Buick wheels. In my case I was using the Buick centers in 7" & 8" hoops. I also found that one set of Buick wheels had a smaller diameter drop center and was only about 12 1/2" inner diameter. That one was a narrower wheel, 5" or 5 1/2" as I recall, but the 6" and 6 1/2" Buick wheels were 12 5/8".

So, armed with that information, you can look for Ford wheels with the correct inner diameter to match the hoop. I think that is probably pretty common among various makes and models for a given wheel size ........15" for example, because the drop center needs to accommodate the tire bead when mounting/dismounting.

Ray

3. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

The Ford center i need got to have the old 5x5,5 pattern.

4. I'm doing a set of wheels for my '37 Chev roadster. I have a pictorial of the work done to the wheels in my "building a fire breathing '37 Chev roadster " thread. ~H.R.D~

5. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

Thanks, but i know how to reverse the Wheel i just need to know what Buick hoop to use and what Ford center that fits.

6. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I'm not sure exactly what year Buick but thinking mid 50s outers and 48 Merc. centers or 50s Ford truck centers.

7. missysdad1

missysdad1

This combination results in a really beautiful and very distinctive wheel. Gives a very deep offset so is probably more appropriate for rear applications. Very common when I was young on all sorts of early Fords. I have the makings out in my barn. I'll go out and measure them this morning and get back with ya'.

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Tex's Auto Wreckers and classes at San Jose Tech provided everything my pal Don and I needed in 1959 for our bootleg traction bars and wheel reversing business. Buick and Olds wheels were $2 each, Ford wheels were $1.50.
    We sold 'dumped rims' out of the trunks of Don's '56 Chev Bel Air and my '56 Ford convert, in the High School parking lot...
    Firestone and U.S. Royal stores had 'blem' and reject tires, (used, too!) Great source of 8.20 X 15s...
    Our 'specials' were reversed Fords ('48 and older) with 8.20 U.S. Royal masters mounted.
    Traditional 'Baldy' caps came from the trailer store, good chrome, and cheap. $30 each, with big tires and 'baldies'...LOL

302GMC likes this.
  9. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

So its the Ford 16 inch rim center that i need?
    Im going for 8,20 tires, got some L78 tires now on aftermarket rims and i want old stuff.

[​IMG]

falcongeorge likes this.
  10. missysdad1

missysdad1

No, you do not want Ford 16-inch centers! You will need 1946 - 1948 Mercury (also 1953 - 1956 Ford pickup) 15-inch centers which are 12 5/8" diameter, same as the late '40s to early '50s Buick wheel rims. Both are rivited together so easy to separate the centers from the rims.

Then gently hammer the Mercury centers into the Buick rims. Use a dial-indicator of some sort to be sure there's no lateral run-out, tack weld them together and check for run-out again. Then final weld them using proper welding techniques so as not to induce warpage. Good luck!

11. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Buick's were the traditional 15" hoop that was grafted onto the 15" Ford centers back when these were the only wide hoops available then. Today I just buy cheap "white spoke" off road type wheels. If they measure 12 5/8" inside then you only need to find the width that you want. I never pay more than 10 bucks a piece. I've made 7 and 8" sets. You don't need to worry about the bolt pattern of the donor wheels. You can buy new hoops to make them but I'm too cheap for that.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  12. missysdad1

missysdad1

Yes, that's a great idea...but it won't get John 79 where he wants to go.

The Buick rims have a unique slope from center to bead on the backside which is what makes them so attractive, and which instantly identifies them as vintage pieces when combined with the Mercury centers.

1949 to 1951 Mercury wheels have a similar slope but are not as wide as the Buicks. These wheels were also often reversed for use on early Ford hot rods and customs and can be identified by the unique Mercury hubcaps which fit no other wheel.

It may seem a trifle anal to dwell on such details, but they are what separate a really well thought out recreation from an everyday copy.

LSGUN likes this.
  13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

The tapered or sloped rims are hardly what I would call a minor detail! Critical to the "look"!

LSGUN and missysdad1 like this.
  14. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

15. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

The sloped rims is what im after, i really like the look and i want period stuff on my car.
    Did Ford also make 15rims with the right enter diameter and 5x5,5 or is these rims Merury only?

16. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The center O.D. of 15" Ford steelies is 12 5/8, just what you need for your buick hoops. Ford trucks from around '53 thru late '50s or even later had 15" or 16" steelies, the centers for all 15"ers were 12 5/8 with the 5 1/2 bolt pattern. Just for grins, you can find early '60s rambler outers at 4" or 4 1/4" wide and build your own front ;narrow steelies. Their centers were 12 5/8"

17. Here's the look I like! Cheers, ~H.R.D~
    image.jpg

18. fortynut

fortynut

No one has noted that this combination puts the tube/air filler hole on the backside of the rim. For some it its a PIA and for others, like myself, part of the 'look'.

19. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

I have no idea if they measure up right , but 56 Lincoln is 5x5.5.

20. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I didn't do these myself but I think this is the look you are shooting for. I bought them from a friend who was changing rims on an old Cad. powered SANY0100.jpg SANY0101.jpg '50s built 32 three window coupe show car. Don't ask me why. The old baldy/baby moon/trailer caps are hard to come by now. I have been lucky enough to find 4 originals over the years. Not perfect but original.