Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Wheel Cylinders

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigchuck, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

I am working on a 1935 Ford Tudor,trying to determine what front wheel cylinders to get. I am not well read in all this early Ford stuff and need a little help.
    This is a project that someone else started, the front wheel cylinders are new but, got water in them and are badly rusted.
    Bendix style brakes, 1.125 bore, and the inlet is 3/8" x 24 inverted flare.
    I just need to know what yr/make/model to look for. Everything I find is either too small in diameter or, the earlier stepped bore type.
    The rears are fine.

Attached Files:

2. manyolcars

manyolcars

53-56 F100
    be sure to add the self adjusting parts

dana barlow likes this.
  3. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Cool. Thanks. Yeah, I was thinking about the adjusting hardware.

4. Your leading -trailing shoes look wrong in that pic, should may be the other way round..:confused:

egads likes this.

5. Like this :rolleyes: Shoes.jpg

ClayMart and egads like this.
  6. Rear '53-'56 F-100 wheel cylinders are only 7/8" bore. The fronts are a little bigger at 1-1/16" bore; but are not set up for brake tubing.

The effie self adjuster stuff is 11" and won't work with the 12" Lincoln repops.

Good chance a '56 F-250 rear cylinder is the same as you have.

Best bet; give Boling Brothers a call, it is their product.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

O'Reilly's shows a 55 F 100 as having 11 x 2.07 front brake shoes and 11 x 1.82 rears if you want to get down to the knitty gritty 11x2 11 x 1-7/8
    They do show the 7/8 rear cylinders left and right but no front cylinders.
    Napa shows that they have front wheel cylinders for a reasonable price for the 55 F100 https://www.napaonline.com/en/search?q=Nty=1&N=2500003+2600305+2804578+10195500+5002800+200280160&Score=0.83&referer=plp&partTypeName=Wheel Cylinder - Front&keywordInput=wheel cylinder&scene=partTypesScene1&fullyQualified=true
    Bore for those is 1-1/16 so you might want to pop the cylinders you have apart and check the cup size before proceeding.

8. clem

clem

Amazingly similar to the ‘56 ford customline rear I put new cylinders in last week.
    I think my cylinders were 7/8”, but a lot of late ‘60s early ‘70s ford were the same.
    Any good brake shop should be able to help.

EC61C13F-DF14-4E6A-85F8-4174CAE966DF.jpeg

9. egads

egads

^^^^^^^^^^ Looks like those shoes are on backward's also.

clem and RICH B like this.
  10. clem

clem

After seeing the above posts and comments, I had wondered. Not something that I set up originally, and didn’t realise there was a difference.
    Is the primary shoe defined by the smaller pad area , (or smaller shoe), please explain if you don’t mind.
    Thanks

egads likes this.
  11. Except he doesn’t have leading-trailing brakes, he has servo acting brakes, the primary shoe is the one with shorter friction material and it goes towards the front of the vehicle

Looking closer at the pictures of the leading-trailing setup shown it’s unusual to have different shoes front and rear, they are usually the same since there is no servo action. Interesting....

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

clem likes this.
  12. Just in case it was missed earlier; '56 F-250 rear wheel cylinders are 1-1/8" bore as the OP requested.

clem and Algoma56 like this.
  13. clem

clem

Are you referring to original posters set up or mine ? Or both. Thanks

14. clem

clem

If it is a leading/trailing set up , surely the brake shoes must be different, otherwise how would each component know if it the leading one or the trailing one, it wouldn’t know if it was leading or trailing........... ?

15. This is leading trailing, The anchor is on the bottom, generally the shoes are all the same, the style with the anchor on the top are servo acting brakes, the primary or front shoe is shorter and "grabbier" than the secondary or rear shoe because it wraps into the drum acting on the secondary through the adjuster. leading trailing have no need for different shoes because they do not act that way.

Clem, yours are servo acting brakes more correctly duo servo because they work in forward and reverse

clem likes this.
  16. On Bendix style brakes, the primary shoe is usually shorter, when the brakes are applied the primary shoe pushes the rear shoe into the upper anchor pin. The rear shoe actually does more "work" and longer so both shoes wear evenly, even then a lot of times I find the back shoe worn more than the front.

clem likes this.
  17. clem

clem

Thanks for the replies.
    To original poster, sorry to partly hi jack your thread, but thought it would be helpful to not only you, but everyone.
    Thanks again,
    Clemens

18. sunbeam

sunbeam

Lincoln used a different cylinder at all 4 corners. Factory numbers were 96H2061 R front 96H2061 L front 96H2261 R rear and 96H2262 L rear Check with Summit.