Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs wheel companies

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by benjamin j, Oct 22, 2015.

1. benjamin j

benjamin j

i have been looking for some cool wheels for my 34 olds. i dont like american racing at all so what would be a good place to look?

2. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

I HAVE HAD GOOD LUCK WITH COKER TIRE BUT THERE ARE MANY MORE DEPENDING ON YOUR TASTE.................................................. Unknown.jpg

3. You've got a lot to consider. What time period will your car look like it's from? That will be a determining factor in choice of wheels and tires. Do you like blackwalls or white walls? Pinners or WWW? Will you be happy with bias tires or will you need radials? It could all make a difference in wheel choice. It is as personal a choice as a color choice for paint.

4. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Hey Lou Wells
    Find the button on your keyboard that says Caps Lock then press it. Lol

LOU WELLS and lothiandon1940 like this.

5. benjamin j

benjamin j

i am more interested in wheels than tires. i know i dont like american racing brand but i dont know what other companies might be worth looking at

6. benjamin j

benjamin j

7. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

That wheel style is like my granny wearing a mini skirt. Never understood why anyone would install European
    Inspired low profiles on a 30's car.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1445545840.607264.jpg

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

LOL Petejoe, that was aces.

9. dana barlow and greasemonkey54 like this.
  10. Phil1934

Phil1934

11. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

... IMG_0442.JPG

Seriously though, Phil has given you some good leads for wheels that resonate with this board. Happy hunting.

12. Your Granny looks better than those wheels!
    Mick

13. "Cleanup on aisle 6............................................."

Katuna likes this.
  14. Call Rally America.

15. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

16. verde742

verde742

did you pick the Olds? Or did somebody pick it for you?
    Somethings a guys gotta do things for himself, pick up a magazine sometime.......fer gosh sake
    if your old enuff to pick your car, pick yer wheels and Just wait for us to pick it apart.
    we will......Its OUR Job.....
    ..Your wheels shouldta been one of the first thing you designed yer dream car around....

Building a car by committee, is like the committee that designed a horse,
    They ended up with a Camel..

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  17. indyjps

indyjps

If you're looking for chrome 5 spokes, it's more of a street rod deal and not a traditional styled choice, which this forum is about.

14 or 15 inch 5 spokes, original American torque thrusts, not polished, not chrome, would put you in a mid to late 60's build era.

If you like the "rims" on the Barrett Jackson car, they look like Boyd Coddington junkyard dogs.

Its your car, build it like you want, it just may not get much love on this site.

18. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

looks like your '34 needs a lot more than wheels right now, if it still looks like your avatar pic

Arabie777 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  20. benjamin j

benjamin j

[​IMG]
    there are a lot of diferent forums for car guys but i like yours so i asked and thanks for the links. i have been looking at wheels on google but not seeing anything i like.

21. Phil1934

Phil1934

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  22. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

God, those wheels on the Barrett Jackson car really are ugly !! I see muscle cars and hot rods running those and wonder what the guy was thinking.

As much as I love Chip Foose and think he is about as talented as anyone on this planet, he has horrible taste in wheels and tires. When I see one of the beautiful cars he creates on Overhaulin' and then he puts some goofy wheels and tires on it, it just ruins the look of the whole car for me.

Don

dana barlow likes this.
  23. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

The tall rim w low nearly no side wall tires {new trendy for the very stupid} works like this on older cars,they ride an drive very bad=no flex in tire=bumpy,=safety is very bad in a turn on old cars as front tires when turned will lift most of it's tread up off the road{old car caster leans rim over ,dose that an old cars must have caster or will not steer with out it for crap}that adds up to unsafe in the turn at the time driver needs the most tire on the road. So beside the fact those new type rim/tires cost out the ass,they look like shit engineering wise as well=its like having a sign on your car that reads{ This owner is a stupid fool]
    Did I cover this"They are not for any old car at all....................
    Harsh yes,needs to be,too many think they like that ugly new look,get mad an be smarter. Thank you,your welcome

24. stimpy

stimpy

get a summit or jegs catalog and start looking they carry most of the US mfgs , including the resto style wheels . and sometimes are easier to get thru them than going direct .

25. benjamin j

benjamin j

[​IMG]
    1980 camaro front clip / engine set back / four link should handle fine.[​IMG]

26. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

For a stock bodied, black 34 4 dr. I'd say resto rod style wheels would be appropriate. Painted or chrome spokes or artillery style wheels. However they would have to be backed up with a traditional/stock style, leather, cloth or mohair interior.

If you're hellbent on going with a modern style interior, vintage spokes, etc won't match.

I go by the motto "Wheels/tires make or break a car". They have to play into the build style AND build era of the car or the entire build is blown.

Get a good side profile of your car and start photoshopping wheel/tire packages.

i.rant, benjamin j and lothiandon1940 like this.
  27. benjamin j

benjamin j

thank you very much

28. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

"1980 camaro front clip" was designed for a tire with flex in its side wall and rim that hold center line of tire at a point were the design was ment to have tire work at ,is why "A" arms move as they do. If you just like the stupid look of those new trendy rims/tire so much,then they must be used only with a front clip of a new car that was designed to work with those new type tire/rim.
    The rim and tire places are only thinking about getting your $,they will not tell you what I did,even though it is fact. It would be bad for there sales.
    Look at rims and tire that came stock on "1980 camaro front clip" get same size tires and same off set of rim. You can go to a tire n rim that is not as wide or tall{ like from 15in. to 14in.,but the new rim design if not as wide must be off set close to same so center line of tread is still in the same place as the bigger tire. There is only a small bit of leeway for tire side wall hight=about 2in. max in 1980 camaro front clip "A" arm movemint. Part of how a car rides is also the combo between the springs and the give it the tire,if you put a tire with out as much flex on,you now don't have a smooth ride anymore beside the other prob.s.
    The rearend axle being a strait axle dose not matter if you use those ugly new trendy things,but if it were a IRS from say a Vett,then same game=must use a tire that flexs like the stock tire it came with as stock. I raced Trans Am back years ago,know what works an how n why it works,you can be smarter an take this info,or make your ride unsafe with those ugly crap new trendy wheels. Yes many TV car shows are doing stupid shit,cuz its a TV show and often they don't even know better,along with many shops out there.

benjamin j likes this.
  29. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I like Wheel Smith. They have a wide variety of styles and sizes. Good service, excellent quality powder paint, average prices.