Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Wheel colors on the 40

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by haychrishay, Jan 13, 2017.

1. haychrishay

haychrishay

I'm thinking I want to change the 40 a little. Any body on here that can photo shop some wheel colors on the 40. I was thinking a cream almost yellow or a light grey blue. The other issue is front tires. Using the 16" wheels I had to go to a very short side wall on the front using radial tires ( sorry I absolutely hate the way bias ply tires drive)to achieve the stance. My concern is will it look funny with a lighter color on the front wheel with the short side wall. Here are some shots of the car for you guys to consider _TED9975.jpg

Attached Files:

2. slimcat7m3

slimcat7m3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know you are looking for a little change. I think wheel color is perfect! If you want a change how about spider caps or bullet lugs with a bullet center cap. I agree the front tire would look funny with the color contrast.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. HayesDesign&Restlying

HayesDesign&Restlying

Change the caps to smooth baby moons, get rid of that stock red detail in them. Other than that. I think a color change is bad. I personally like how your car looks. If you start changing rim color, you'll run into the look of a street rod. Then you'll have to counter with whitewalls. But it's your car up to you.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. HayesDesign&Restlying

HayesDesign&Restlying

And you could even go out and chrome the rims and keep the blackwalls. That'd be 60s style. I should stop lol.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Corvette Fever

Corvette Fever
    from Michigan

My buddy has stock 39 wheels on his with no hub caps and beauty rings painted a light yellow, it really looks Kool. You would believe the people who ask him where he got the wheels.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Biggest improvement would be to remove the Yellow fog light..

Tetanus, falcongeorge and 302GMC like this.
  7. The cream wheels in themoose's photoshop look good; but to me the change to a lighter color, even the addition of a trim ring draws more attention to the lack of sidewall on the front. Any consideration of switching to a 15" wheel in front so you could use a higher profile tire. We used some 165/80R15's on a '29 and they looked OK with cream color wheels and small Ford caps.

8. I like it just the way it is, Black wheels, Merc caps and keep the fog light. If you must change up, think about a little darker Grey than what themoose pictured above. JMHO.

Dino64, scrap metal 48 and i.rant like this.
  9. 2935ford

2935ford

Like it! Leave the fog light. Go with the straw color.......done! :)

10. brady1929

brady1929

I like the way it looks now.

Dino64 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. haychrishay

haychrishay

Actually I've considered Chrome wheels with a skinny whitewall, I think thats 60's style as well.

12. haychrishay

haychrishay

13. haychrishay

haychrishay

I have a pair of 15's and that was the tire size I was thinking. the issue is the 15's are an inch wider than whats on it and I did know if it would look fuuny.

14. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

I have cream wheels on my '36. But this spring I'm ditching the wide whites and painting the wheels black with blackwall tires. I like the look of your '40. It has a sinister look with black wheels.

15. haychrishay

haychrishay

Here it is with the bias ply wide whites. And the wheels are currently dk blue same as the body. Thanks for all the input on this
    H 40 pass.JPG

16. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

I like it any way you do it, your car, your fog lite,

lothiandon1940 and i.rant like this.
  17. jnaki

jnaki

Hey Hay, (sounds like a 70's comedy show)
    You have a very cool looking 40 sedan. I tried several combinations of colors back when I owned a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery in 1961-63. We had to use spray cans to paint the wheels first as photoshop is rather new. ha. (the Moose is really good) But, back then, we decided that black with beauty rims and small hubs looked the best for a classic cruiser look. upload_2017-1-14_6-7-47.png This photo was taken when I bought another 40 delivery 10 years later and set it up to look like the original one I bought in the 60's. The only thing you would need are the beauty rings. A matching red/orange color looked odd on my car(s) so the black was the final decision. Silver looked like fake chrome rims, so that was out. Because your sedan is dark blue, color matching would be simple or black fits easily. Your car with the black tires looks the best...IMHO
    Jnaki
    The 40 deliveries were similar on the outside, but were like night and day elsewhere. Flathead, 3 speed LaSalle, empty shell inside vs. 327,auto, a/c, full upholstery in back, etc. But, they were both extremely fun to drive.

18. how wide are those 15's ? i have some 15 by 5 inch wide ....i think `48 mercury ?

19. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

IMG_0516.JPG 15" x 6" on the front of mine, 15x5 would have worked better. I'm a fan of the grey also.

20. ....................It was your car that I was thinking about when I suggested to the OP that he go with a darker Grey than what had been photo-shopped.:D

lothianwilly71 and i.rant like this.
  21. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Grey the new red Don?:rolleyes:

22. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I'm a big fan of Hugger Orange, used it on several cars.

23. LBCD

LBCD

24. ............Actually I'm working on Black being the new Black.:D 20161203_164151.jpg 20170114_075847.jpg

25. southcross2631

southcross2631

26. slimcat7m3 and Dino 64 like this.
  27. 42merc

42merc

The dreaded "What color should I paint my wheels" thread.
    Remember "A camel is a horse designed by a committee"

haychrishay likes this.
  28. That's a nice looking car so any color you mentioned will look great. Personally I like the steel blue idea just because you don't see it every day.

But, I have to say the low profile front tire kills it for me. I would swap the front wheels for some 15's or maybe even 14's with a 70 series front tire. It should drive better too.

Beautiful car.