Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wheel bearing squeak that won't go away???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bugman, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Bugman

Bugman

Hello, my name is jeff, and I have squeaky bearings. My wheel bearings are squeaking, and I can't make'em stop. I can't tell which bearings are making noise either. Here's the scoop:
    Two squeaks on top of eachother
    Always there when moving, but changes when cornering(one squeak goes away, another gets louder
    Does NOT make noise unless weight is on the tires(won't do it with the wheels up, so I know it's not the driveshaft)
    I've replaced two of the front bearings, and that didnt help
    Repacked the front bearings 3 times in 2 years
    Replaced all brake shoes
    Does NOT change when braking
    Replaced rear wheel bearings 2 years ago
    Diff leaks, so it's checked frequently and always full
    Swapped trannys(added an Overdrive :D )

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  2. Glen

Glen

Could it be the seals rubbing and making that sound? Explorers are notorious for this and sounds just like brakes.

3. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Did you use good quality bearings??? Timken bearings are great, all the chinese stuff does not seem to hold up.
    You are doing everything right, it seems, it's the quality of the bearings.

4. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

This sounds crazy - but I thought I had a front wheel bearing issue once - ended up being a wheel cover that was squeaking on the rim. Just a thought.

Mike

5. Bugman

Bugman

Thanks for the replys.

The sound was there before, and after, the bearing change. The ones I took out were the originals. I replaced them because they were VERY slightly pitted from being worn, and thinking that they were causing the squeak.

It's a very metal on metal sounding squeak. Wouldn't the seals continue to squeak even with weight off the wheel?

The sound is still there when the hubcaps are off.

6. Sloppyseconds

Sloppyseconds
    from Pasadena

I had the same thing.... went through everything and found the hubcap was sqeaking on the rim....try taking off the cap and driving it around.... worked for me

7. 38plymouth

38plymouth

Upper ball joints???

8. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

what kinda car???

9. Check your backing plates.It sounds like the drum (or rotor) is scraping.

If the backers have a little bend in them, you will have this problem.

I would think if it was a bearing problem from, say, a mismatched combo, or whatever, they would be burned, or spinning the races. that would show as a blue color or black, but your wheel would most likely lock up at that point.

10. Kustm52

Kustm52

What kind of rims? If they are old style riveted together, the center could be loose just enough for the weight to make it flex and squeak.

Brian

11. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

12. I've only had this problem once. An old timer told me that the bearings needed to be cleaned and repacked with grease. It worked.
    Be sure the inside of the bearing is PACKED with grease.

13. Bugman

Bugman

It's a '55 Plymouth, so no ball joints(its a king pin front end)
    The rims are the original rivited rims, I'll see if I can dig up some other wheels to try
    The bearings are thouroughly packed, currently with synthetic grease and have no discoloration
    It changes when cornering and dissapears when the car is on stands so it's not a u-joint
    No shiney spots on the backing plates, and wouldn't they still rub when the car is on stands?

It's also growing steadly louder the more I drive the car. I imagine I'll find it eventually when whetever is making the noise fails:rolleyes:

14. Flatman

Flatman

Have you checked the bearings at the bottom of the king pins? These bearings spend the majority of their time in the same place with load on them. Might be worn flat and sliding...

Flatman

15. If I was a bettin' man I'd put my money on this suggestion. Before you go to the trouble of trying to find some different wheels, try swapping them front to rear and see if it makes any difference. Or try to get some grease or oil into the area between the rim and the wheel center where they rivet together. Some WD40 or penetrating oil might be enough to do the trick. But now I'm curious if this might be an indication that the wheels are maybe getting to the point where they might be unsafe? Just lubing things up to quiet them down might be covering up a bigger problem down the road.

16. I have heard noises like that coming from hubcaps squirming on the rim, from tire belts as the tire flexes when it rotates, and from brake pad wear indicators. Check if a clip or something is rubbing the drum or rotor.

Even a dry u-joint has been known to imitate the sounds of a bad bearing. That's the way my Jeep used to tell me it was time for u-joints.

You might also want to check the lug nuts. I have seen some lug nuts that could be tightened nice and tight, and feel tight against the wheel, and still let the wheel squeak where it mounts to the hub.
    What I refer to is a wheel with a fairly large tapered hole for the lug nut to seat against, and a lug nut that is a bit small diam in that important tapered "seating" area.
    I have seen a few Studes with small lug nuts, matched to Brand X wheels with large holes, eventually develop a bit of looseness that was sometimes undetectable until the not-very-tight-fit wore its way into an actual loose fit on the studs. The lug nuts felt tight when they ran to the end of the threads, but didn't clamp the wheels hard enough. Use the proper size lug nuts.
    Make sure the lug nuts are not small diam matched to a wheel that needs larger diam nuts.
    You can get at least a few different sizes (O.D.) of lug nuts that fit the usual 1/2-20 wheel studs.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  17. PRoz

PRoz

I would have to guess something with the wheels also.
    You could take them off and on the backside clean 3 or 4 spots along the
    riveted sections and run a bead of weld along the joint.
    Just 3-4 1" long welds would do it to check .

If this cures it, you could either get different wheels or weld them solid if you like the rims you have.

also, make sure your wheels are tight. A loose wheel/s can make some strange noises when you are going down the road.

18. lewislynn

lewislynn

I had a 53 Plymuth do exactly that caused by lug nuts( maybe lug bolts on that one).

19. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

BTTT

What did you find ,your squeakiness?:D

20. exsedan

exsedan

Had a 240Z one time that I thought had a rear wheel bearing problem. After changing them out, the problem/sound was still there..........turned out to be a steel belted tire with a tread separation and the steel belts were rubbing together to make the sound. That one drove me nuts for a while......jb EXSEDAN

21. Check to see if the Cotter Pin is rubbing on the dust cap.

22. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Old thread but timely! im having freakin sqeak noise from the front wheel, maybe wheels, specially on corners.
    I swapped the bearings last summer so its kinda weird. i'll check everything mentioned here.