Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Wheel and tire help on chopped f100 custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Duke 55, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Duke 55

Duke 55

This truck has had stacks on it since the late 60's. Noway they are coming off now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jet96 likes this.
  2. metalman

metalman

This truck has a real mid 60's to early 70's show truck vibe to me. To radical for earlier so no wide whites. I'd say chrome reverse or some type of chrome 5 spoke with thin white walls. I actually think red lines would look killer and would of been the hot ticket in the mid 60's, downside would be a lack of size choices.

kiwijeff likes this.
  3. Duke 55

Duke 55

Found this picture parked next to my uncles truck which has 15" chrome American style wheels.

[​IMG]

Also found this one parked next to the 49. This is a cool picture since it was the first time these two were back together. They were parked in my grandpas shop since sometime in the 70's until he a my dad passed away four months apart from each other. Then my uncle took the car and I took the truck and we got them back on the road.

[​IMG]

4. Squablow

Squablow

The truck has some custom history and other than the current wheels, what on it is all that contemporary looking? Maybe some Lucas headlight bulbs and a drawer-pull grille insert to tie the early wheels to the rest of the design, but I really think the truck could pull off the look and what it's got now is just gross.

Not very clean and probably a poor angle but here's a shot of a Kustomag if it can be 'shopped into the photo.

IMG_4790.JPG

5. Duke 55

Duke 55

Only other thing is the leather bucket seats (luckily I did everything else painted metal). I like the seats but I do have a set of 65 t-bird buckets that I figured I would upholster if i go with 60's style wheels and tires.

[​IMG]

Metal headliner

[​IMG]

Behind seats
    [​IMG]

Kick panels are also metal with same body lines as the doors.

Laced metal floor in bed.
    [​IMG]

Also the truck had an upside down 62 rambler grille in it previously. That was the look I wanted and came up with this after I couldn't find a usable one. I did make it so this grille comes out with only two thumb screws holding it in incase I ever found a nice rambler grille. Then I quit looking for one after I finished the truck.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  6. As it stands, the truck has evolved and now has its feet I'm multiple custom trend camps. Solving and unifying the whole thing with a single wheel/tire combo is going to be tough.

7. Squablow

Squablow

Beautiful metalwork inside the truck. I agree about the seats. I don't dislike the current grille but I'd like to see a couple different inserts in case that would help tie it together.

I feel like this truck can, and should, get a new look more befitting of it's heritage. Can't wait to see it come together.

8. Duke 55

Duke 55

Screen shots from a home video taken at that show in July of 1965. These were the best I could get. There was much better coverage of some of the other cars at the show. Guess he didn't care to capture his own much (makes sense).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  9. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Try using a picture of the truck that's not at an angle for your photo shop efforts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. Duke 55

Duke 55

Agreed that would make life easier. I don't have one on this phone or computer. I need to dig up pictures from my old phone.

This was an easy one thanks to what the moose has already provided.

[​IMG]

I might have to ask him to do the keystones with redline tires. Maybe even the slot mags also.

verde742 likes this.
  11. Duke 55

Duke 55

Madfish came through on this one.

[​IMG]

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

This beauty is too smooooth for the 'industrial' heavy spoke look...
    Riviera wires and 'redwalls' would have that 'showy' look for a truck this classy.
    Lose the tractor wheels...

lurker mick likes this.
  13. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mid to late '60s vibe = Raders
    Now available in larger sizes to fill the wheel wells.

14. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

I agree with this.. The truck is in a seriously fine state of modification and in my opinion needs some equally fine wheels. High polished Radir Tri-Ribs would look fine--but at a certain point I agree with the post above about the various "camps" the vehicle is now attending. The truck has some very modern customization and the application of "proper vintage" wheels may look like throwing a pair of Wayfarers on a hipster.. Just looks kinda out of place. Polished Halibrands?? I don't think steel wheels are going to fill the void and as rad as a pair of Cadillac sombrero's are, they aren't fitting for the truck in it's current state of existence.. just an opinion here--and your family did a great job in keeping the truck and the modifications appear extensive and awesome at the same time..

15. Duke 55

Duke 55

To me this last attempt is the best look tried so far. I haven't ever liked chromed wire wheels so that isn't going to happen. I have considered Halibrand's and that is still an option. I personally don't think the truck has significant modern customization that would make late 60's wheels look out of place (besides the front seats which I am willing to change).