Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Wheel and tire help on chopped f100 custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Duke 55, Dec 25, 2016.

1. Duke 55

Duke 55

A little background. I inherited this truck after my dad passed away unexpectedly at age 52. It was originally my grandpa's who chopped it in 1962, so it has been a custom most of its life.

My dad drove the truck in high school and then tore it apart in the late 70's to redo. Running his own paint body and upholstery business, he never got around to getting it done.

After he passed away I picked up the truck and started building on the fly. The wheels and tires were bought early on so the frame and suspension could be finalized. As the build went on I came to love 50's and 60's customs and knew I made a bad call on the wheels. I put up with them long enough and don't want to have them on another summer.

Currently leaning towards 15" reversed chrome or supreme wheels with either 1" white walls or black wall tires.

Interested in other ideas

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jnaki likes this.
  2. 302aod

302aod
    from Pelham,Tn.

Great looking truck. I have a rule for myself, that I can only put something that shows on a vehicle that came out less than 5 years or less, from the year the vehicle was made. That keeps the big wheels and rubber band tires off. I think Chrome reverse and blackwall tires would look good on this truck. Maybe even smoothies, in 15s

3. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the 15" chrome reversed idea.

4. Have Moose & the gang on the photoshop thread have a shot at it.

Mick

5. verde742

verde742

Can't say I HATE it, won't say I like it....... interesting>>>
    great imagination, I have ta appreciate the work and talent.....

6. Duke 55

Duke 55

Thanks, I posted a request on the photoshop thread.

7. 55Deso

55Deso
    from Wyoming

I think some chrome reverses would look killer on that

8. Duke 55

Duke 55

Courtesy of the moose.

[​IMG]

verde742 and kiwijeff like this.
  9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  10. Duke 55

Duke 55

Thanks, I agree no on white walls. I am hoping the reverse chrome look right. I did think of redlined and wasn't sure what can I would be opening with those.

11. slowmotion

slowmotion

I'm not feelin' the chrome reverse or Supremes, which is strange, 'cause I'm usually a fan of both. Maybe polished Hali's & blackwalls would work? Beautiful truck.

12. Duke 55

Duke 55

More work from the moose.

[​IMG]

Not going to be as easy as I hoped

verde742 likes this.
  13. wheels1950

wheels1950
    from PA. USA

I have a set of wheel vintique wheels with tires.
    2 are 7x15 and 2 10x15
    The tires are still n very good shape also [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. I'm a fan of chrome rims and Blackwalls, but I'm not feeling it here.
    If you want a 50s 60s vib, I'd go with what the 60s show rods used.

The thin white walls work with era and paint.

15. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

that is a vintage pic of the truck in your avatar isn't it? what would be wrong with going back to what it is supposed to have on it? (what it used to have on it)

Stogy likes this.
  16. Duke 55

Duke 55

Avatar is of this truck at a show in 1965. An old timer gave this picture to me after my dad and grandpa died. This guy said he installed the new tires right before the show then went to the show and took this picture. I wish I had better pictures of it back in the day. It was red candy when my grandpa had it then silver with black scallops and white pinstripes when my dad had it.

[​IMG]

What my uncle has told me is that what is in this picture was only on the truck for a short time then it was four bar Hubcaps. In the picture I think it is Calnevar chrome sides with merc or similar caps. Now that I think about it I might know what my dad ran on it from some other pictures of it tore apart. I'll have to ask my uncles and dig for the picture at my mom's. It will be a wheel from the 70's.

17. Larry T

Larry T

How about something simple with narrow white walls?

Hubcaps.jpg

18. Squablow

Squablow

I think a late 60's vibe could be had with this truck with the right set of wheels. I like the thin whitewalls, but redlines, blue streaks, or even the gold stripe tires which are available new reproduction for Corvette restorations could work on here.

As for wheels, you might try a Foresight Ventures Drag-Mag, Keystone Kustomag, Rader or Fenton Hawk, Mickey Thompson Indy 500 speed wheel, ect. Hurst mags with gold line tires might be a great look. Preferably originals that aren't one piece aluminum although mint ones are hard to find.

I highly doubt any truck that wildly customized would have run blackwalls in that period, and you know your dad had didn't, so I wouldn't either. This would also be the period where if you did run wide wheels, you ran them at all 4 corners.

kiwijeff likes this.
  19. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

With the positive offset wheels that are one it, normal or a bit negative offset wheels may not fit under the fenders. Nice truck!

20. Duke 55

Duke 55

Thanks to all of you for the comments and taking the time to provide input.

The Keystone Kustomags and foresight drag mags might be interesting.

It currently has 8" wide wheels in the front and 10" in back. Negative offset on the Front shouldn't be a problem and the rear does gain a bit more clearance with a shorter tire.

After doing some looking the last wheels I seen on the truck after it was tore apart were wire mags.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
  21. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

57 caddy caps?
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff, RMR&C and big duece like this.
  22. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's amazing how similar the truck looks to this one built by Jim Greene in KC (Wild Child) in the later '60s. And consider this a vote for wide slots and Firestone Indy tires! (although Skylark wires and thin whites would be killer too...)

Photos courtesy Wild Child's and Rikster:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. Duke 55

Duke 55

Wow. Thanks, I've never seen that. Crazy the back of the cab is slanted forward also (that you never see).

My dad had a nice set of slot mags that he planned on running on it until he figured out what he really wanted. After he passed away my mom "cleaned up" a little and the wheels and tons of other stuff disappeared.

I try to photoshop the keystones and some slot mags.

24. Duke 55

Duke 55

Courtesy of the wife.

[​IMG]

I have a set of these hubcaps and some custom 53 caddy caps that I've gathered for a Mercury build I have going on. Hubcaps a wide whites seem to be a lot harder to pull off on this truck.

25. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

I am no custom expert, but am much as I am not in love with the rubber band wheels, the truck has a more modern vibe to it. The work on the truck does lend itself to just throwing on 'a set of 15, which is very old school and now day hard to find tire. The tire openings just swallow the what? 22-24s?
    Just because you throw on a set of five spokes, does it make a traditional custom. It seems to be that the truck was built around the current wheels, are they wrong? I don't think so. Are they HAMB right, don't think so.
    What is the fix? Hard call with wheel well openings as large as the F-100

RMR&C likes this.
  26. Duke 55

Duke 55

The tires on the truck don't fit my definition of rubber band tires. I hate rubber band tires but obviously my definition is different from many others. I was trying to fill the wheel wells with reasonable sidewalls and wheels. Currently it has 18's in front and 20's in the rear with the same sidewall both front and rear. I do think I went too big on the rear. It is very likely I could put 18's all the way around with some quality "right looking" wheel and like the looks. But it would still feel wrong since my dad and grandpa wouldn't of done it. I don't believe there is anything else I have done that my dad or grandpa would dislike.

The believe the vast majority of modern vibe is coming from the wheels and tires.

27. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

The wheels on the truck are not traditional only because they werent available back then, With all the wild show rod stuff that guys did back then, I think they would have jumped at a opportunity to use something radical and different like that if it had been available,and I think a lot of the 5 spokes like yours are in the same spirit as the wheels that were available back then but thats just my .02

28. Mark in Japan

Mark in Japan

I used to have a lot of these type of era-quandaries, until someone told me......"just pick a year".
    Once you have a clear view of the year of custom build you are trying to match with, the choices become obvious, even if you go with updated 18 inch versions of what suits the chosen year.....

Ofcourse.....I vote for slots :)

29. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I dig the keystones/supremes and the caddy hubcap type options.
    Probably a lot harder to change... but eliminating those exhaust stacks would really help its looks in my book

30. Duke 55

Duke 55

I learned my lesson on this truck and am religiously sticking to the era/theme on the next two I have in the shop now.

This truck I never planned on building. I built it quickly (just under two years). This is how I coped with loosing my dad and it also helped my mom and siblings since they knew how much the truck meant to my dad. In the quick build I was researching and building on the fly and that is when I got hooked on customs from the 40's, 50's and 60's. Wish I would of got hooked prior to grandpa passing away (huge lost opportunity).

This is another car he did prior to this truck. My uncle has it now.

[​IMG]

Jet96 and kiwijeff like this.