Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's your opinion of this custom?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SulphuriousSam, Sep 12, 2011.

1. SulphuriousSam

SulphuriousSam

I saw this custom at the local car show in our small town this weekend. There were things I both liked and disliked about it. The lady who owned it said it was her husband's (he was passed away) and that it was done in the 70's and 80's.

It was probably the single most customized vehicle there so I thought I'd get some of your thoughts. Where'd they go right? Where'd they go wrong with this build? I know so little I figured this would give me some insight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry if the pics are too big. Haven't figured that out yet. :confused:

UPDATE: THE OWNER'S OF THIS GREAT CUSTOM ARE BOTH STILL ALIVE AND WELL! DUE TO A MISSUNDERSTANDING I MADE THE POST ABOVE IN ERROR. THANKS!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  2. farmer12

farmer12

Apart from the excess of dice and pinstripes, it looks damn good to me.

3. 117harv

117harv

What's not to like...good looking custom.

4. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Well I'm not going to sit and pick some poor lady's late husband's car apart.

But to me it just looks like a nice custom that someone got bored with along the way. You can tell all of that extra stuff didn't happen all at once.

5. Hi-Flying

Hi-Flying

Nice old custom,looks like it should have been built in the late 50's

6. Flathead Rich

Flathead Rich
    from Denver

Hmm...

Its nice from the outside, though I'm more of a "less is more" kind of guy. The interior... From the James Dean on the wheel to the dice knob toppers on EVERYTHING, its just a bit much for me. I will also say I'm not wild about the pin striping both inside and out, as its a bit garish in my opinion, but again, I take a less is more philosophy.

7. SulphuriousSam

SulphuriousSam

mainly i wasn't a fan of the dice and james dean's mug in the horn button but otherwise i was loving this ride. The old lady said it hadn't been messed with since the time it was built. My friend's couldn't figure out why it had my attention but I guess they just don't get it. I didn't get a shot of it but Wolf Man Jack had apparently signed the car at some point.

8. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

WIth only those few pictures to go on I'd say this a very nice piece in any show any where. I don't care for the "Rebel without a Cause" lettering or the James Dean horn button and find it odd that the show show calls it "Wanderer" with all the JD stuff.
    That said any on this forum might enjoy owning this car, changes or no.

9. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

As a pinstriper myself the car has too many stripes.
    Only thing "wrong" with it to me is that the steering knob is on the wrong way, its going to smack you in the belly when you turn!

10. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Lots of work in that car ! Like farmer12 said, I would have ditched the dice, some of the pinstripes, etc., and just made it "plainer/cleaner/less gimmicky" inside & out.

Otherwise, it's a nice ride with a lot of time involved to get it there.

Jonnie King

11. SulphuriousSam

SulphuriousSam

Yeah i spent more time looking than taking pictures. I wish I'd taken one of her sign! Anyway I apreciate your comments, sounds like most of your opinions jive with my own thoughts.

12. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I like it, I think the James Dean is part of the theme with the name of the car being "Rebel without a cause"

13. Only thing it needs is a pinstipe eraser and a dice remover.

14. SulphuriousSam

SulphuriousSam

For those that can tell, what are some of the mods done to this car? I mean obviously it's chopped...but what else stands out? Something has been done to the tail lights right?

I know these questions make me sound ignorant..but that's cuz I am! Really appreciate your thoughts all.

15. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

In my opinion...he nailed it! Can't see which engine it has in it...if it's a Chevy small block...than he didn't.

16. I generally like blue dot tail lights...but 2 on each side might be a bit much. Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.

17. Oh yeah, almost missed the naked lady hubcaps. Classy.

18. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Neat custom & the funny thing about the "dice & pinstripes" is that in 20-30 years guys are going to complain about two many skulls and 'spider' webs on cars that are rolling around right now that are not HAMB friendly. I remember the 80's and the 'neon' pink paint and "billet" & I sometimes wonder what ever happened to those cars.......Heck, I'm still trying to track down a bad a$$ Model A coupe from Texas that I wrote letters to the old guy when I was a punk kid and he sent me 're-print' pictures of his HAMMERED coupe with a GIANT motor in it and some 'Big ole' wide tires on the back side with little's on the front.........Hmmm......Maybe I should do a "Has anyone ever seen this car post"........but, I'm afraid that someone/lurker might find it and my search will be over.

Chris Nelson
    Kansas

19. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

Very nicly done expect for some of the pinstriping. Tail lights look like two on each side, one upside down.They almost look like 60 Chrysler taillights but I know thats not what they are.

20. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

You don't like 'naked ladies'? They appear to be N.O.S.

21. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

"Custom Without a Clue". too much STUFF thrown at it. What ELSE could have been done to it...Hmmm... Oh, rounded hood corners.

22. SulphuriousSam

SulphuriousSam

Well, I think it was an SBC honestly...I didn't get a picture of it so it didn't stand out for me I guess. Honestly, well over a 100 classic and antique cars there and of the ones I saw (perhaps half the cars) the engine of, were all SBC's. Now, don't get me wrong. I like the SBC, but sheesh...something different would have been nice occasionally.

I did get a pic of this engine though ;) Was thinking of all you flat head types...god let this be a flat head or im in trouble haha.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another interesting development. Apparently all (exagerating) ford muscle cars at this show had a cobra engine! lol

23. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

hey it's got real spotlights. that's a bonus.

nice car with a bad case of "Lost in the Fifties". was the lady wearing a poodle skirt and saddle shoes?

24. Well,there's more I "LIKE" than don't like!
    Good;
    The chop and body looks pretty nice...
    Stance looks good...
    Real Spots...

Bad;(IMO)
    Overstriped
    Hubcaps
    License plate overiders don't look right...
    Dash dice...
    Mustang Floor shifter...
    Blue dots ruin the taillights...
    lights in the grill...
    Hood looks flamed,but the skirts looked scalloped,no balance...
    Not a fan of Bubble skirts,prefer '51 skirts...

I just think it's TOO busy! I bet if it was all one color,it would present much better.

25. SulphuriousSam

SulphuriousSam

Nah, she is sitting on the left behind the car in the first picture. Really nice old gal. Told me she gave it to her husband as an anniversary gift. Wish my wife would do nice things like that! :D

26. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for posting this on the HAMB. I'm embarrassed to say that I can't remember the
    couples name but they've been to the SK500 many of times and I'm, sad to hear that he
    has passed away. What a great guy and a kustom fan.

Love the Merc, If I had a Merc collection I would buy it in a second. the car was built in
    the time (80's) when I started my love affair with kustoms. Yes, its not traditional but that
    doesn't make it not kool. You have to appreciate when it was built.

Thanks again for the post and I'll try to find out what happen to one of my Merc brothers.

Happy Trails, Mick

27. Adrian Rollini

Adrian Rollini

It looks good! I like it a lot. There are a few things I would change, but that is a personal touch. Everyone has there own Idea of what looks cool and perfection. It looks like a fun car and the work looks really good.

28. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

That is the do whop style that soo many of the kustoms are built in, it clearly states it's given name on the door is rebel without a cause, but then the "show" board states it is the wonderer, so might explain some of it. I am not bagging on the owner or the style just making some points as to why maybe some cars are confused on the direction they are going. I like the car think some of the changes are great and others don't make since to me, but , who am I anyway, just saying. andI am sure folks think the same about my stuff. and the roadster has a flatty but the bitchin firewall and radial tires put it in a different catagory, again. That is why it is soo hard to pick a class winner at some of these shows, and prolly the reason, no one takes it that serious. just my worthless opinion and I dont mean to stir anyone up.

29. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Well, since the owner didn't ask the entire planet for opinions on her car, I'll stay quiet.

But, if I were to say anything, I'd agree completely with Bad Bob.

30. SulphuriousSam

SulphuriousSam

That makes me wish I'd gotten more info from her. Glad you recognized the car though that's cool.