Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs What's your least favorite hamb friendly car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RaginPin3Appl3, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Yep, Avanti's came to mind. lol

2. My father worked at Ford's Atlanta assembly plant '52-'82. I remember when the '58 Fords came out, Daddy described them as "looking like a largemouth bass on wheels." '60 Fords were considered ugly when they were new, but they are in my opinion tied with '63 for the best looking '60s big Fords. I never cared much for the '58 and later Thunderbirds. Having said that, I am impressed with really nice workmanship on anything. I've seen many body styles I didn't like that much turned into something very tastefully done and found myself liking it in spite of myself. Never liked the front end styling on '62 Fords but I've seen some done very nicely that I couldn't help but like. A lot of ugly body styles resulted from the manufacturer trying to get another year's production out of last year's body shell ('62 Ford being a case in point). Sometimes the second year of production of a body style is better looking--for me '54 Chevys are a good example, always liked the '54 grille and taillights much better than the '53 style. With customs, I have sometimes seen superb workmanship to carry out a bad idea, the workmanship is outstanding but the car is as ugly as homemade sin. For me, the thing that makes an outstanding custom (in addition to quality workmanship and paint) is a few subtle changes that enhance the best features of the original styling, get rid of excessive chrome and emblems, etc. I am more into hot rods than customs, but I like simple, elegant, tastefully done customs. To me, the starting point in doing a custom is to identify the most pleasing features of the original design, and call attention to those features--don't change stuff just for the sake of changing it. Case in point--a lot of people used to put now-scarce '55-'56 Merc station wagon taillights on '55-'56 Fords and Thunderbirds. I never liked them, thought the original Ford (especially '55) taillights looked better. If you gave me a perfect NOS pair of those Merc station wagon taillights, I wouldn't put them on my '55 Ford. I'd sell them to somebody who wanted them and spend the money on something I liked and wanted. I hate the effect when someone changes as many things as possible just for the sake of changing it. Good workmanship, simplicity, and subtlety for me are the keys to a beautiful custom car.

robracer1, s55mercury66 and Fedman like this.
  3. bchctybob

bchctybob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was reading Hemming's Classic Car magazine a while back and they had an article praising the design of the mid-'60s GM cars with the cantilevered roof and severely wrapped around windows - they didn't convince me, they all look bad to these eyes.
    Some of those poor old late '40s Mopars had an extra helping of homely as well. They started turning that around in '54 and I'd love to have some of the mid '50s Mopars.

4. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I am a little surprised about all the hate for Avantis. Beautiful cars, well built, and FAST. They came about during the height of the "MCM" era, with thought provoking lines and interesting details. If all that turns you on are stripped down primered '32 Fords and '55 Chevys then they might not appeal to you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cosmo50, warbird1 and stillrunners like this.
  5. gene-koning

gene-koning

There are a lot of cars and trucks that fall under the "HAMB friendly" listing that were flat ugly in as factory produced condition. About the time, you start thinking there are no redeeming features on any one car/truck line within a specific period of time, someone builds one with just the right modifications, it catches you off guard and makes you say "WOW! Then you tend to look at the entire "class" through different eyes.

About the same time, you have a group of cars/trucks that are just perfect in your mind, and you just can't imagine one you wouldn't love, and someone really uglifies one! That person just screwed everything up, and built the worst looking ride ever built (until the next guy out does it). After witnessing a couple of these disasters, every time you get a vision of that perfect car, one of these ugly ones comes up in your vision, and you have to acknowledge that someone can ruin perfection.

As we get older, our perception of a perfect car/truck changes. My son told me when he was younger that he would never own a 4 door car. A serious back injury, and a 1 year old baby changed that perception.

If I have to choose my least favorite HAMB friendly car, I would have to say, its the drivable one that never gets out of the garage and never gets used! Gene

upspirate likes this.
  6. robracer1

robracer1

Avanti's look like they had 3 different designers, one for the front, one for the middle, one for the rear, and they didn't communicate with each other. but I have to admit after some 50 years its starting to grow on me a little!

7. Krash Vegas

Krash Vegas
    from Dallas TX

Anything fiberglass, mostly the Willys ones. I don't understand now anything fiberglass ends up with a "traditional" label.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  8. This actually made me blaspheme, sorry. I don't really think it is HAMB-friendly though, it's a rat-rawd.

9. I wasn't around in the early 60s but every time I watch Mad,Mad,Mad,Mad World, I see all those darts and Plymouths and think 'gawd those were ugly!" Slyvester's looked better after he crashed it.

46international likes this.
  10. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Absolutely true.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. mike bowling

mike bowling
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You do math like I do! ( sounds like my stats for around 2am on Sunday morning)
    Lots of cars aren't pleasant to the eye; not to pick on any one model, but sometimes I wonder what the hell were they thinking?

slowmotion likes this.
  12. gpohl6

gpohl6

Most girls manage to get to the prom, so there must be a pair of eyes that find them attractive. Like that with cars it seems to me. Every time I think to myself "what a homely car", along comes one someone smarter than I has fixed to his/her liking and it looks interesting. Sure there are some "unlikely" candidates for hopping up, customizing or whatever, but some crazy out there has a great one, just to his liking. I think some commentators and being unduly harsh to some models. I remember when as a young guy, my good buddy (still is 50 years later) had a Studebaker with that long, low, sharply finned model that not many folks bought...not enough to keep the company going after the 60's or thereabout. Well, what I wouldn't give for a nice example of that car today! So, that which is ugly or weird looking today, can "age into beauty" once it become appreciated with the passage of time.

13. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

1937 Willys. 37_Willys_Mdl_37_DV-07_RMH_01.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2017
  14. rush549

rush549
    from Kansas

Lots of people like them. But they were often overlooked.They are much more accepted today.
    That said. I had two friends who weren't fond of my 34'. Hell they still might not be. It wasn't their cup of tea. I don't need their affirmation to enjoy my car. And I don't knock them for liking what they like. As for your car. Sorry, they don't do it for me. That doesn't make it a good or bad thing. I just like what I like. Enjoy your car, I'll enjoy mine.
    BTW. I honestly think that if everyone likes your car, than it's a miss. The coolest cars bring out a love it or hate it vibe. Otherwise it's just a "meh?" car.

15. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Anything that isn't a 34 Ford coupe. Nah, just kidding, I like them all!

16. 41woodie

41woodie

How could you not include '58 Buicks, Bill Gates could not afford to rechrome and polish all of the trim on them

RaginPin3Appl3 likes this.
  17. The Shift Wizard

The Shift Wizard
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry for the late reply. My "I just turned 21 new car" was a 1964.5 Mustang. I filled out the order sheet and waited 4 or 5 weeks and received the car in June of '64.

Thread jack over.... back to the regularly scheduled program. :rolleyes:

low budget likes this.
  18. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

19. jersey greaser

jersey greaser

think my 64 t-bird fits the ugly lists, "maybe it is maybe not" but it sure fast with a tri power 406 tied to it's C6 sitting where the some what doggie for the time 390 was at one time, then come summer it's factory a/c. p/s. p/b tilt away steering makes it a fun comfy cruiser

I see many posts about the Avanti, how about that one named a gremlin? esp. if it was painted that crazy purple?

20. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Most Nash/Ramblers. I just never liked their styling. But that is just me. For the guys that own them, more power to you.

21. funny....there are two brothers around my hood that inherited a 37 Willis 4 door and can't come to an agreement on passing it on....looks like the one posted.....

22. 59 olds 4 doors

23. RaginPin3Appl3

RaginPin3Appl3

Oh man i think 59 was the best all around year for cars. I can't think of a single 59 anything i wouldnt consider owning. Now a 60 Olds... thats a different story.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. thunderplex

thunderplex

Most Nash/Ramblers. I just never liked their styling. But that is just me. For the guys that own them, more power to you.

I'm with you on that statement. My '62 Rambler 4 door sedan is "ugly on steroids" but I just had to have it. People walk up and tell me "...it's ugly" and go on to tell me it's so ugly it's cool. Then they spot the 4 speed shifter and the 343 V8 with A/C. It's one of the most interesting cars I've ever owned. [​IMG]

clunker likes this.
  25. indyjps

indyjps

Poorly done anything. Some guys can just screw up an otherwise great car with bad execution on the build.

Flip side, I've been surprised by some typical ugly duckling models when the right person steps up and makes a few subtle changes. Stance, wheels, shiny paint can turn a lot of them around.

26. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I was going to lay off this thread because I find all old cars interesting, and can find something good about practically all of them.

But, there is one kind of 'HAMB Friendly' car that I can't stand and that is gassers for the street. I know there was a brief period of time in the late 50s and early 60s when the jacked up, altered wheelbase cars had a reason to exist and that was to get maximum traction out of the not very good drag slicks of the day. They did do that, and worked to a certain extent, when going in a straight line on the drag strip.

But today this look has no place on the drag strip or off. You don't improve performance even in a straight line with today's tires and can louse up cornering power to where the car is not only slow and no fun to drive but dangerous.

Some of you older guys know what I am talking about and can build a gasser and drive it in such a way that you don't get in trouble. But when I see a newbie take some random heap, jack it up 3 feet in the air, add a blown big block and 1953 pickup truck axle and brakes with mismatched steering I just shudder. Luckily none of them ever seem to get finished.

27. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

'49-50 Fords and Mercs. Hated them then, hate them now

28. I for one have never had any dislike for Avantis,I think they are good looking cars but this one that has been given the hot rod treatment and lowering is the cat's arse! HRP

Gotgas likes this.
  29. Well, Oh Yeah! You take that back or I'm telling your mom what you said!

30. Somebody

Somebody

I like all the weird stuff. I've seen enough Ford and Chevies. Especially Chevies, I've seen so many that I personally can't stand them anymore.