Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's Your Job?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by koachwerks, Feb 3, 2006.

1. koachwerks

koachwerks

Kind of a boring morning for me at work. Too damn early!

Any fellow hot rodders out there working in the mechanical design/drafting field?

Myself? I design hydraulic manifolds. How about you?

2. There is a HUGE thread on what do you do for a living. Do a search....you'll find a ton of talent and some surprising fields infected by the HAMB.

3. koachwerks

koachwerks

Curly,

I was kind of just trying to pass the time with other people awake at this hour. I've seen some of the archive stuff. There's quite a few out there with a more glamorous job than mine!

Laters

4. No biggie AI just thought with you being a newbie you may have not seen the older post.

Me personally, I'm a registered Nurse in a Coronary Intensive Care Unit in the Cleveland Clinic system. Glamarous....I doubt it, I wipe poop from sick peoples backsides. Now back when I was a piano player in a cathouse....

5. koachwerks

koachwerks

I once designed a couple of "poop" manifolds. One to fling it out on a farm field and another to dry it and turn it into powder. Luckily I wasn't required to be in attendance for machine stratup!

6. vetter

vetter
    from Mich.

Quality Engineer for the Automotive industry.

7. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I read the Hamb all day.
    And estimate industrial membrane switches for printing/production runs.

8. long island vic

long island vic

test pilot for american standard

9. gassy cowboy

gassy cowboy
    from Tucson, AZ

I do mechanical drawings that feed into a cnc plasma cutter to make pneumatic conveying system parts. It also works well to make motor mounts, brackets, and assorted other automotive parts. (after hours)

10. koachwerks

koachwerks

What programs do you use? We use Pro/Engineer and use AutoCAD for schematics.

Wish I had access to a cnc plasma cutter. All I have access to is a plotter! But I guess that helps me out with my stained glass stuff.

11. koachwerks

koachwerks

Yeah, when I'm not designing manifolds, I am redlining prints from our India facility. Boy is that a lot of fun! NOT!

I can't nock Mexico, though. My wife is Mexican and we have a pretty dang good facility down there.

12. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

HAHAHA!

I build cars for fun and profit. I like cars. they don't argue with you at 4 a.m.

13. gassy cowboy

gassy cowboy
    from Tucson, AZ

We use AutoCad programs. It's great because we use anything from 1/2 inch plate to 20 gauge metal, so there are may parts for building cars that I can draw up and have cut out and they are smooth, without the hand plasma look. I just cut out the mounts for may flathead to go in my A roadster. I will also cut the boxing plates, the k member and pedal mounts. I am trying to decide how I want to hook up the 10 bolt rear. I'm thinking about custom brackets welded on 40 ford radius rods, removing the A spring and using air shocks and motorcycle coilovers to make an adjustable ride height rear setup.

14. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

15. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

i build hot rods for ,who yall call,"gold chainers".they pay well,and i can build what i like for them using their money.pluse it alows me to have my two hot rods.also i get to build and share cars with my mom and dad.

i wish that everyone could have a customer base like mine,i feel blessed.

-danny

16. kornbinder

kornbinder
    from Sonora, CA

I work on the process computers at Prudhoe Bay at the way north end of the Trans-Alaskan pipeline. Where, BTW, it is now a blustery -44 degrees. Well you know what Johnny Horton sang about… When it’s springtime in Alaska….:eek:

17. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

Another designer here, I design suspensions for Military, off highway, and coach applications. Think motorhomes, dumptrucks, and big military supply trucks. I use Pro/e as well.

18. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

I recently came back to the CAD world after a several year hiatis. I spent 5 years in GeoCAD, (map drawing, that's right, Ed Roth and I had something very odd in common. He freaked out when he found out that I drew maps for a living too), and now I just started working for my brother-in-law who is an architect in So Cal.

I'm one of those guys who changes jobs about every two years trying to find my niche and I keep coming back to CAD. Is there a message in this?

Vance

19. Went to school and got a BS in Architectural Engineering Mechanical Option. Which means I designed any mechanical system for a building except the structure. Couldn't find a job I liked in a place I wanted to live. Now I am a surveyor and run AutoCad all day. Not too bad, I like it. One day hope to be a PE/PLS.

Geno

20. pikesan99

pikesan99

Hey Guys,
    Glad to see a couple of Pro/E users out there. I used to work for PTC (the maker of Pro/E) a few years back as an Application Engineer. I got to use the CAD and the CAM. Fun stuff. Some people couldn't understand how I could stare at a computer all day, but like someone else said, they don't argue back...

Now I'm a Powertrain Performance Engineer for Nissan at the AZ proving grounds in Stanfield, officially, but its just outside of the SUPER growing Maricopa. Its a good job. We've got a 4 wheel Dynojett dyno now which is torture cause we can't bring our own stuff back to use it. Plus I get to drive just about every car and even more so, truck made. My favorite thing is to go out on the track and see how long of a burn out I can do!

21. koachwerks

koachwerks

I used to work at the Koch Refinery in Minnesota as a piping designer. What an awesome job that was. That place was like a big playground, albeit a dangerous one. There was a lot of crazy stuuf out there!

22. Freelance public restroom janitor.

23. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am a project manager for an Environmental Engineering and Construction Company. I oversee a couple of engineers and a few construction crews. We build groundwater remediation systems, and fuel systems.

24. Retrorod

Retrorod

I'm Service Manager at one of the larger Chevrolet Dealers out here on the left coast. I guess the highlight of the past month was test driving one of the newest (427 ci) ZO6 Corvettes.........but I'd never trade my 1935 Ford for one. I've been doing this same crap for near 35 years.

25. Joe Riot

Joe Riot
    from N Y of C

Right now it's slow and I need a new one.. one a regular paced day I play ad and production director

26. Painterman

Painterman

Wow, lots of talented people here. Makes me feel humble. I'm a lowly paint/body guy working from home trying to get my little business off the ground.

27. cooljerk

cooljerk

i'm a self-employed cad drafter/designer...i do 2 day/week on site at a microwave/RF company and scrape by on whatever else i can hustle up for side projects. i work in autocad, inventor and solidworks...i dig 3D modeling but at times i do miss the board...

28. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

I'm a shepard:D Or as GERM would say I manage a pussy plantation:p

29. RenoRat

RenoRat
    from Oxnard,Ca

AHHHH I wish I had a car related job again.. I used to work at a Rod and Custom shop in the 90's called Roosters but I always had the shittyest car so i quit.... NOw im a Barber... Its a great job when your buzy!!!

30. skumbag

skumbag

i'm a maint. guy at a 40 floor office building. i get to listen to people whine all day about being to hot or to cold. :( but we have a nice shop with good tools, we're supposed to buy a tig this month :D

matt