Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures What's your Favorite Car Chase/Rum Runner Movies

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38plymouth, Oct 21, 2008.

1. stillkruzn

stillkruzn
    from Conway, AR

Smokey and the Bandit (the first one)... the sequels didn't do much for me...

2. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

Thunder road, Rum runners, car chases, and, who,but Robert Mitchum, can flick a cigarette over into a car alongside at 75 MPH?

3. Bullitt

<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NKg27i5Y3T4&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NKg27i5Y3T4&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="349"></embed></object>

4. 567trishop

567trishop
    from Australia

yer, Two Lane black Top, Bullitt, Vanishing Point, Christine

Return to Macon County

5. The origional vanishing point, and gone in 60 seconds.

6. arca39

arca39
    from summit il

what no one said hot rod???? and only one said hollywood nights????

7. 2 said Hot Rod and 2 said Hollywood Knights :

... but correct me if I'm wrong, neither "Hot Rod" nor "The Hollywood Knights" have car chase or rum runner scenes ... ????

EDIT: I see that my question has been answered:
    ... thanks Bad Bob ... for awhile there, I thought my memory was shot!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  8. ok here's one nobody talks about...the Pilot of the tv show Crime Story the chase from the robery of the bar when they chase the bad guys across town over some bridges and into a neighborhood with some chick hang out the back window of the car half on the trunk......they fucked up some late 50s cars in the show...........

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  9. 283nova

283nova
    from spokane,wa

american graffitti
    more american graffitti
    2 lane blacktop
    vanishing point
    the california kid
    catch me if you can ,this is hard to find about street racing
    hot rod
    lemans
    bullitt
    on any sunday, about bikes but still cool
    nitro knights very hard to find
    rebel without a cause
    hollywood knights
    dirty mary crazy larry
    return to the macon county line
    bikini beach
    7 second love affair mini docoumentry about rick "the iceman" stewart when he raced top fuel

10. harpboys4

harpboys4
    from So Cal

Wow everyone already named the good ones but I always liked the Duel, that simi chasing that car around is some freaky shit.

11. Fish Tank

Fish Tank

All the ones listed are Great flicks.
    This is a long forgotten movie with Bud Cort. It's pretty funny (maybe hokey, but that's ok here), but how many times you see a Camaro AND a Gremlin in a car chase scene together?...lol
    Brewster McCloud

<object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LPpA5kg3dHc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

Course, there's always Cagney....
    Some nice tin in these two...

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dz-Its4_tBM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-pkR-XOikSs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

Cheers!

12. diamondwillo

diamondwillo
    from Melbourne

Agreed "Used Cars" is one of my all time favorites, great to watch on a Saturday morning when sporting a hangover :)

other highly regarded notables:
    - Smokey and the Bandit
    - Vanishing Point
    - Bullit
    - Gumball Rally
    - Cannonball Run

13. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

How could I forget the Bandit? GOOD CALL!

14. Truckedup

Truckedup

I saw that movie one time when it was new and I was a teenager.
    So last night I did Netflix Instant and watched it again......
    The scenes when Phil Silver's character beats the shit out that 40's Ford convertible.He punctures the oil pan trying to ram it up a goat trail.You can hear the Flattie V-8 screaming,must have a glasspack muffler.And then later the same character,stunt driver of course,takes a hairpin turn out of control in a 56 Ford convertible,rear tires smoking as he finishes the turn.In fact there were several early 60's Mopar cop cars that smoked the tires on take off,probably the first time in a movie? The VW beetle even made beetle muffler sounds.They really pounded quite a few cars into the ground.
    He's a clip of one chase,some is Hollywood studio fake bullshit,but the stunts on the road are real http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se1HntAeQZs

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  15. dudley32

dudley32

thunder road ....written,directed, and staring ..ROBERT MITCHEM>>the original bad guy /flathead drivin/liquor haulin/bad/ass guy that..caused me to own a 50 ford as the first car I bought..saw the film maybe 3 times at a drive in...filmed in n.c,..and did you know he wrote the music?....maybe because I'm from n.c....still watch it !!

16. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

I have to go with thunder road.

17. John356

John356

Thunder Road.I was in Asheville a few years back and visited some of locations where the movie was shot.

18. 8-Track

8-Track

19. Gotta throw in "Hard Driver", the Junior Johnson story. Great car action, and the best cop nickname ever...

20. davedeltadog

davedeltadog

Looks like you nailed the list, but the car stuff with Steve McQueen in Get-a-way is great
    Dave

21. Big Tony

Big Tony

Hooper with Burt Reynolds
    Smokey and the Bandit (RIP Snowman)
    Gone in 60 Seconds

22. ... and Norm Grabowski as the "Hammerhead" character. :D

23. hoarder1212

hoarder1212

moonrunners Its supposed to be the movie that they made dukes of hazzard from.

24. USED CARS
    MAD MAD MAD WORLD
    BULLIT

3 of my best liked of all time

Matt

25. dudley32

dudley32

mad mad is a classic...I'd have to admit..my daughter loves it...and me too...love the chase at the end with the cabs loaded down w/stars....and THE BANNA PEEL...

26. How about Thunder and Lightning? How many movies have a chase where they jump a '57 Chevy off a parking garage, go through the roof of the car dealership across the street, somehow turn the car 90 degrees in the process, land on the showroom floor, then drive out through the window and take off again?

They also roll over and later drive again a '59 Ford tudor.

When one of the baddies tells David Carridine to "knock off that kung-fu s---" is probably the best line in it. It's so bad it's laughable, it's just about all car chase with a loose plot. Well, and an airboat chase in the swamp to start things off.

Moonrunners was made by at least one of the same guys who did The Dukes, and a lot of the characters have the same names. No cousin Daisy though.

27. KIRK

KIRK

Thunder Road. Saw it again a few weeks ago. My all time favorite.

28. mbshafter

mbshafter
    from Detroit

29. Obviously those guys can't read! The title says CAR CHASE OR RUM RUNNER movies!!!

30. firingorder1

firingorder1

The original Vanishing Point and The Choppers (Iknow but I just love Ivo's bucket.)