Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What's your car weigh?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimSibley, May 29, 2015.

1. Bulletnose26

Bulletnose26

What is the best way to get an accurate weight, overall, and front to back? image.jpg

2. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

'40 Ford coupe. 426 wedge, 727, 8&3/4 rear, roll bar. Still no hood yet. 3210 w/o me.

3. dad-bud

dad-bud

Seriously, weigh one end, then weigh the other. Gravity will make it all OK

Bulletnose26 likes this.
  4. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"What is the best way to get an accurate weight, overall, and front to back?"

Stop at a "Cat Scale" truck stop. Tell the guy you want the full wt on the 1st plate, then each axle on 1st and 2nd. You'll need to know where the center of the wheelbase is on the side of the car so you can look out and stop it there between the plates. Actually quite accurate.

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

o_O Find a scale. It can't be that difficult. Find a scrap dealer, they have scales you drive on, or find a truckers weigh scale they are all over the place.

Bulletnose26 likes this.
  6. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

If you have a non-drivable around 2,500 lbs. or less you can do it with two bathroom scales. Most go to 300-350. Put a board across two scales a couple of feet apart and put a wheel on the board, add the two weights. Do a front and a back. To be most accurate raise the other wheels to the same height. Lower the jack down slowly so you can stop if you begin to overtax the scales. Not the most accurate but should get you within 50 lbs. and gives you front/rear distribution.

Bulletnose26 likes this.
  7. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I'm chicken to weight mine now...When raced it was 3192, almost full gas tank, no me..Shoebox by the way....Then glass nose and roll bar, guessing one canceled the other but moved weight back but never had the opportunity to re-weigh...Added 6spd trans, power steering box/pump and AC/heat and small cup holder console so cluck, cluck, cluck..

8. Bulletnose26

Bulletnose26

Thanks, never thought of a truck stop scale.

9. A Boner

A Boner

< ==== 2020 lbs. with all fluids including a 1/2 tank of fuel