Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whats wrong with R&K?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 52ChevyBizCoupe, Dec 3, 2007.

1. 52ChevyBizCoupe

52ChevyBizCoupe
    from Maryland

I wanna start out by saying how much I enjoy reading Traditional Rod & Kulture, but I believe on the coverage of the Jalopy Drags they really dropped the ball. Spike's writing captured the event wonderfully, but the pictures left much to be desired.

They devoted the cover to the event,but the coverage starts on page 94(out of 96)? and we've got postage stamp sized pictures?
    I count the 999 car 5 times,the Rebel Reaper twice(not counting the cover) I see Clarks coupe twice.

Now,no offense to those cars,cause they're all awesome cars, BUT theres only 14 pictures of cars. So,those 3 cars account for 9 of them. I just find that to be a little depressing considering what was there. I am also sure Spike took more pictures than this, because in most of the pictures I have from that day hes somewhere else in them photographing.

No pictures of the barn find race truck?
    No pictures of Class Reunion?
    Rebel Reaper is AWESOME,but its fiberglass with an SBC,not a 401
    In the same issue in the good guys Columbus coverage theres a caption on Steve Lucas's 56 merc that says it'd be a great R&K feature car if not for its whitewall radials.
    Fiberglass cars are more traditional?

I've been looking forward to coverage of this show for a long time, because it was by far the best event I've been to. Not too many tracks where they'll organize a day like this, thanks to Beaver Bob, Scary Larry and all of the other people that made it happen. I hope the people who read this post will look up the wonderful pictures taken throughout the day, and attend next year. I'm sure Spike got a lot better pictures than what got ran in the mag.

Pharaohs Rule.

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Who knows, perhaps the photographer that was lined up for this event flaked out at the last minute or has something else to attend to leaving R&K to scrape up what they can. I know that in my line of work the photographers can be on board one minute and off the next. I am sure that if they had the pics they would have run a bigger spread. It seems to me (from what you are saying because I still do not have my cop yet) that they were running the same car multiple times in an effort to put something in the magazine because they know the Jalopy Drags are that important. Rest assure you will more then likely get ten pages next year due to the mishap in this one. Write them a letter, I am sure they can explain.

3. chaddilac

chaddilac

why don't you print this out and send it to the editor of R&K? I may get some attention?

4. motor mikey

motor mikey
    from hanover pa

Clark has a coupe, when did that happen?

5. Yea, I was a little disappointed in the amount of photos too. I was there and I know there was many more good cars present.

6. NorthBayArea

NorthBayArea
    from Smyrna, DE

The coverage makes it look to be about one quarter the event that it actually was. No shots of the infield from Sat. "Dropped the ball" does seem to sum this up. Maybe Spike could shed some light on the process for us. Great writing though.

7. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Dons Rebel Reaper really does have an AMC engine in it.........its not a SBC, Yes their's really very little difference between the two, but it has the AMC in it, a stout one...Littleman...just so ya know..

8. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Yes its glass..............wonder if it would pull the wheels if it was steel?.....but it is what it is, someone having fun........Littleman

9. 52ChevyBizCoupe

52ChevyBizCoupe
    from Maryland

Heh,Guess I was mistaken thought your car was his :p

10. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

11. zombie

zombie

thanks for all of the comments. im always interested in what the readers think. i will try to address some of the questions/comments.

first of all, spike gave me 2 cds jammed full of awesome photography. he did his job well. with that being said, i think the coverage of the event could have been a little better as well. it was an awesome show, and we had a blast. our plan is to come out next year with a few west coast gassers. over all, there were about 5 cars that i would have liked to have seen in the coverage, that didnt get in there for one reason or another. when it comes to the 999 car, there are several shots of it in the background, like durring the hotdog race. the shot of it sitting in the misty morning, was just too cool of a shot to pass up. i would like to see some larger photos next year too. as far as the event only being 3 pages, we have 9 show features, 8 car features, 1 motorcycle feature, and a shop tour. that is a lot of content for 1 issue. i dare you to read it cover to cover in just one poop. as far as the comment regarding the rebel reaper and the 56 chevy with radials are concerned, i have had to answer this type of question several times. there is a HUGE difference between a car that we do a full feature on, and a shot from the car show. the rebel reaper has a few things that would prevent it from being a full feature car in our mag, because we are pretty anal about the feature cars being period correct, but its not a feature car. it was just a great shot from the event. and as far as the cover is concerned, if it wasnt for the tach in the windshield, this shot looks like it could have been taken in the mid 60's. i loved the rebel reaper, and other than the bilbow rail, was probablly one of the funnest to watch run. we have full features coming on clarks new coupe that was there, as well as the little red history pick up. i believe spike has already shot them.

hopefully, this answers a few of the questions regarding the event coverage.

zombie

12. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I do not think many have a clue of how much work it is and how difficult it really is to put a magazine together........or something similiar..its great that your covering events we all like to attend, its putting the word out their period, and that a good thing....Littleman

13. Clark

Clark

Come on ...everybody knows 999 got so much coverage cause Spike blew the clutch out of it :)
    Clark

14. Clark

Clark

Oh and the Willy's being glass?!! It's a RACE CAR!!! It would be cool even if it was made of dog shit!
    Clark

15. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

Spike is the MAN!!!!:D

16. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Whats the best thing for a Dragcar.........to be fricken light.....Its better than having a car that looks the part...but is a dog.....Littleman

17. ...just feel lucky you got to attend the event; I'm sure you saw lots more than those of us who couldn't attend.

18. chopo

chopo

Spike does a GREAT job!!! no question. with that being said. Its show coverage. You were there. you took photos. look at them. post some here if yours are better. :D

19. BigDanF4i

BigDanF4i

"Oh and the Willy's being glass?!! It's a RACE CAR!!! It would be cool even if it was made of dog shit!
    Clark"

I'll make sure to tell Don the next car to build should be made from dog shit. Just to see if he is talentd enough to pull it off.

"Whats the best thing for a Dragcar.........to be fricken light.....Its better than having a car that looks the part...but is a dog.....Littleman"

BTW, you coming next year Dave?

With any luck I'll have the 29 chevy there next year, I just picked up some wheels for it today, they're purty!!

20. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Spike took the pictures. He didn't choose them for the mag, I'm sure. That's what an editor does!

21. hemi

hemi

quote:

Whats wrong with R&K?

----

Nothing. Be glad the show was covered..... :D

That's a joke, see the smiley face?

22. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

If its not a small block Chevy, and its a 401 AMC, why was it running in the small block class?:confused: hmmmmm...
    ehhhh...I'm just glad I didn't get turned away at the door for having coil-overs...:eek:
    can't wait until next year, thats all I know...I don't care if the Papparrazzi catches me, or not! It was fun!

23. yekoms

yekoms

Do an advanced search on HAMB member bigdipper then click on the jalopy drags pics. He has a slide show setup that is real cool.
    I don't know how to move it over to this thread.
    I better get my ass in gear and subscribe to TR&K it's not around here yet. Smokey

24. Roadsir

Roadsir

That's really funny...When my brother worked for Rodders Digest I would always rate the issues by the shits......1 shit..2 shit..3 shit etc.

Hot Rod 1-2, R&C 2,GG Gazette 2-3, Rodders Journal has everyone beat. Careful if you buy collections, might need to touch em up with wipes!

25. fatabone

fatabone

If you try to read it cover to cover in one poop your legs will fall asleep. Be prepared to fall in the tub when you try to get up!:D

27. NOTHING! Oh,except that i want the new issue.;)

28. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

amen
    shit look how much work it is to post pics on this board and i dont mean one or two now think "do a magazine"....

keep up the good work guys
    be thankful they covered the event at all

29. Gasser57

Gasser57

Just got mine and loved it. If some of you want to whine about event coverage, I suppose that's your choice. If you're gonna shoot your mouth off about someones car, do your homework. The Rebel Reaper has fiberglass body parts on it that could qualify themselves for historical tags! Don took great pride in dropping an AMC motor in his Willys, the SBC dig is nothing short of an insult. That car was at different tracks all summer long, running great ET's. Maybe the next issue of R&K will cover the significance of fiberglass parts and drag racing in the 60's. Or better yet, the possibily of a small block reaching 401 cubic inches. Seems some could use that info a lot more than they need pictures of cars. To those from R&K, keep up the good work!

30. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...