Register now to get rid of these ads!

whats wrong with kids today...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by twenty8tudor, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Negativity,,,It's towards the "strange and foreign" you speak of I believe. Sadly It's quite common here.

2. quite right though in saying that all the young guys i know here in nz only a few of us with cars or building them all have parents who are into cars one way or another myself i have been in it since i was spat out having dad owning a rod and custom shop so its all ive ever known alot of guys here are more than keen to help and give advice but then there are a few that dont want to know ya..

3. Mooseman

Mooseman

Yeah but you said the magic words "Born into it", my dad got out of hotrodding in the 60's I wasn't around it growing up so started alot later. There are alot of people who wouldn't have hotrods as young as they did if it weren't for parental involvement, I am not saying thats bad but I am just saying that for people born into it it is what they know it is normal for them.

Yourself for example have probably not known a time when hotrods werent around in your life. Thats what I was meaning alot have never had that exposure and have had to find it in other ways.

I am 24 and building my first hotrod.

4. also for a lot of guys here in nz when the price of parts etc is pretty expensive its a lot harder for younger guys to get into it, i have never had finacial backing form my olds into any cars but in saying that i dont drink etc so not wasting money. and yeah i cant remmeber a time without hotrods but i think here for younger rodders its simply out of mosts price range

5. i imported my first car at 17 and have just build up more and more since

6. Mooseman

Mooseman

What I meant by parental involvement was not financial, what I meant though was the circumstances of what you grew up in you grew up around hotrods and people with hotrods so it becomes a normal thing, you by technicality in that situation have alot of contacts for finding cars and parts and picking peoples brains on how to do stuff.

For the majority of young people if they new what a hotrod was and wanted one they may not even know how to get into the hobby or find the parts.

I am honestly not suprised that alot of young people are buying the japanese origin cars as they are for sale everywhere, whether it be at car lots or on the side of the road.

I think alot of young people just don't know how to get involved.

7. Mooseman

Mooseman

How about instead of being all "what do you mean you don't know" towards young people we make it ok that they don't know and be more educational towards them. I mean everyone at one point in their lives new nothing about something.

8. Jimv

Jimv

How do you know the "nephew" isn't 41 years old?
    What a lame thread!! Everyone's different! Thats why they put Stations on TV's & Dials on radios
    JimV

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  9. Actually, they don't have to get it. Different strokes for different folks. It's always been that way.

10. Colville

Colville

Definitely get it running and take the gal out to a car show or a cruise in it. I bet she would love that.

On the subject of "whats wrong with kids these days" I'm only 29 but always have older men amazed that I'm into older cars and old stuff in general. I dont know how you couldnt be into the things im into but thats just me, everyone has their own thing. I think alot of boys these days lack the art of what it is to be a man which leads them down the wrong path. Most boys think to be a man you should get hammered everytime you go out, have sex with anything that walks and religiously watch football. I disagree, there is a fine art to being a man, some of us are raised with men in our life that know this dying art (my grandpa) For those that dont have any idea I highly reccomend buying your son or reading this book for yourself. It will be the first book my son reads when hes old enough. Take a minute and check it out. Its completely worth it.

http://artofmanliness.com/thebook/

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  11. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Was talking to a guy at work just yesterday about my weekend etc...
    He just said:
    Yeah, my dad knows about that stuff. I just can't understand why anyone would want to get so dirty or work so hard. I take my car to the dealer and let them do the grunt work.
    I was like reallly!?! I hope your dad has another son! ;)

Hope you can get that car for cheap.

12. Colville

Colville

haha... There is a guy I work with that said the same thing. Funny thing is he thinks he is gods gift to women, the all mightly alpha male, fragrant man swine! He goes to the gym religiously, takes all that powder stuff before work outs, is a football fanatic, and thinks if you're not then your a girly man. (no offence to men that like football, just not my cup of tea) Pfft, then one day he comes to me to ask a question about his Acura. He asked where I reccomend he get the oil changed in town, I said just do it yourself, its not hard and you dont have to worry about some chucklehead cross threading your drain plug. Which is when he with all his manly man might proceeded to say that he didnt like getting dirty and why would he do something he could pay someone to do. haha, wow yeah.

13. fknslo

fknslo
    from Maryland

hate to admit it but when i was 17 my dad picked up a 2dr 52 belair. i was offfered the car but at the time i had just got my first mustang and was all about that, not some old 52 chevy. my uncle told me that if he was offered that at 17 he would have been all over it, i gave him the stink face and told him it was because he was old LOL!
    he told me i would regret it and now im 34 and boy do i. but hey, what ya gonna do?

14. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Wow!! Sounds just like the guy I was talking to! :)

15. Colville

Colville

I gotta post it again because I really think this is a good stepping stone to boys becoming actual men and not what they think is a man.

http://artofmanliness.com/thebook/

This book is fantastic.

16. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

I guess this is why the cable guy will be there sometime between 9:00am and 7:00pm.

17. Dizzie

Dizzie

When I was in my late 20's I tried to buy a 1951 Chevy convertible that sat in a garage of an elderly couple in our small town. At that time everyone knew everyone else in town. I stopped by the house to see if it was for sale, and the gentleman told me that he hoped that his grandson would want to get it running and drive it. His grandson was into muscle cars and wasn't interested in the car. A slimeball wheeler dealer bragged a couple of months later that he bought the car by "waving a $100 bill in front of the old guy". Not the ending that I was hoping for, and always wondered if I should have pursued it harder. Sometimes it isn't meant to be. I hope you have better luck with the Buick.

18. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Ask her where to get in contact with him and wave some green backs in front of him.Offer him a fair price,he most likely wouldnt even know that, and I bet you will be towing it home.
    Ive seen a couple local cars that were given to young punks and they just beat the snot out of them and the last I saw the barracuda it was all dented up.

19. Hurry back before the dirtbags from Fast and Loud find it and give her $50 dollars for "that OLD car" she has. Then we'll all see it getting shipped to Sweden for 5 grand. Seriously, I would see if she wanted you to get it started and take her to a cruise night in it.

20. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

I just got laid .......(nothing new , my old lady)
    B.B.

21. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Ok, so odds are her nephew isn't a "kid". Think about it, shes an ELDERLY lady. So its safe to assume her siblings are also elderly, making her nieces and nephews probably 50+ in age if I were to guess.

Regardless, I get it. I hope you get the car befor some yuppie relations gets it and sells it off for a quick buck

22. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

would you take a car you maybe didnt like the look of from a family member knowing you would probably be expected to invest money in it and look after it?
    Not every person likes every old car. maybe its just a year he doesnt like the look of.
    I totally agree with dumb kids, but everyones been a dumb kid at some point, when youre young you want to FIT IN, takes an individual to say I want something different & stand out & they are not the majority.

23. Congrats!

24. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

old cars are not everyone's cup of tea; especially for those kids who are around my age. Bringing and old car back to life, especially one that's sitting, can take a whole lot of dedication and ...funds (which most kids dont have today). Maybe her nephew didnt jump at the opportunity because he was afraid he would get the car and not be able to afford to get it running if it had issues....or, maybe he didnt have a safe, dry place to keep it. Some kids my age are just trying to get through school and keep get their lives on track and taking on a potential old car project isn't exactly in the books for them. Dont get me wrong; a lot of kids my age (early 20's) love old cars and really enjoy looking at them, etc but for most; this hobby just isnt in the cards right now. You cant fault someone for having no interest...to each our own

25. Wicked50

Wicked50

My cousins grandpa left his cousin a running and complete '50 Ford convertible and its sat in the garage for the last 5 years so we're trying to pick it up

26. outlaw256

outlaw256

well i got to say something lol, ivehad kids hang out at the shop alot. some wanted to learn, most couldnt give a shit.and while alot of them were sitting down they spent more time on thier cell phones texting than talkin cars. they just didnt care. i asked one why he wasnt into old hotrods and he just said to much work. i started thinking about that one alot.but what ive come to think is part of the problem is price. we buy a old body for 2000 3000 grand to us it a good buy .but for that they can buy some honda and fly down the road that day. no work invovled.we have about priced the kids out of it. they cant work for mickey d and have enough to buy a old car.then the parts it takes to either make it run or look cool.the ones who do work want and need one now not sittin in the garage waiting to be built.and what has detroit been throwing out there for the last 30 yrs. junk so they really dont have much to go after with what little money they do have.

27. Jon being Jon

Jon being Jon

Damn right, fortynut! If her relative didn't... have the keys already in their possession, I would have tried to buy the damn car myself. In lieu of that, I would have tried to steer (no pun) the Buick to someone I know who would do right by the car. If I can't own it, I want to at least be able to watch it take on a life in a friends driveway.

28. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

This thread has nothing to do with kids or age.

If you want the car, you should be thankful the nephew isn't into it.

Close the deal before she sells it to someone else.

Lots of deals are made for less money because the seller wants it to go to a good home.

Show up with a toolbox and a battery. Get it running. Let her sit in it. Tell her how much you want it. Ask her what she wants for it. Gently negotiate and explain that you don't have a lot of money, but the money you do have will be spent fixing it up. Close the deal.

29. carbking

carbking

If memory serves correctly, it was Socrates that stated "the young people are going to the dogs" maybe a couple of thousand years ago. :p I guess it is still happening.:rolleyes:

Lots of people, both younger and older, not into cars. It isn't a crime. At age 66, I only know about 6 people my age locally that are into cars. Others admire mine, but don't really want to own one.

Many of the youngsters that visit this forum might feel more comfortable without the "what's wrong with the kids" from several members. :(

My opinion, others will differ.

Jon.