Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's worth saving?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldnuts, May 27, 2013.

1. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

I'm about ready to bring my 31 a sedan home to work on it. All I'm going to use is the body. What is worth saving and selling/ trading ect off the rest of the car? Its pretty complete minus the front sudpension and the engine is toast since the heads been removed sbd its been out side. Storage of parts isn't much of an option since all I've got is a single car garage. I can't figure out pics so ill try to post them later

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

EVERYTHING has value, just price it right. Bob

3. yep.

4. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

I understand that. I guess what my problem is is that I'd like to save as much as I could but I don't want to wait months in hopes that someone will need a part I have. I'd like to be able to clear the garage soon to work on the body.

5. Rattleon

Rattleon
    from Idaho

Start posting ads of the stuff you don't want/need using all the usual web sites! and as said before, if priced right will probably disappear quicker than you think!

6. carmuts

carmuts

I am currently parting out a 30 tudor body and have a bunch of A parts. I am not sure how close to this part of the state you are but feel free to PM if you need anything. Always good to see more people involved closer to home. I have one project I am currently working on and 2 more projects waiting, so always busy and willing to trade parts if you have extra stuff. Rod

7. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

If you don't have a title, I'd get that in order 1st while you have a engine number and frame number (that hopefully match). I'd even consider cutting out the frame section that is stamped and keeping it.

Blue

8. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

Thanks guys. Ill go through and list the parts as soon as I get time

9. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

Carmuts I'm from omaha

10. bgaro

bgaro

it all has value, i understand limited space, but i try to keep stuff around. how do you know you won't need it. is keeping a pile outback under a tarp an option.

11. If it's stuff you won't be using advetise it locally, even, to sell off or trade. You never know who in the area might need parts. Out of the blue this morning, one of the mechanics in ths shop said he was asked about some wide 5 wheels. Never know.

12. Go to the national Model A sites (MAFCA.com and ModelAford.org). Find out the local clubs and put an ad in their newsletter. Get started on this right away as by the time you find out who to talk to and allow for the cut off dates for the newsletter a couple of months may pass.

Charlie Stephens

13. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

Good idea on the club news letters. I don't want to waste the antique parts. I can store most everything but the fenders, frame and rear end. Fenders are kinda rough and have had a few cracks repaired and the frame is decent minus the front x member.

14. manyolcars

manyolcars

Whats it worth?
    The world is not Walmart with fixed prices on every item. Even at Walmart you can get prices changed due to circumstances. The value of ANYTHING is determined by circumstance. If you have an item that you think it worth $100 but you try and try and no one will give you $100 but everyone offers $50, then maybe its only worth $50. Same thing if you have a $100 item but the buyer offers $900 (yes people do this, sometimes so they can brag about how much it cost)
    A junky old Model A is worth exactly as much as the buyer and seller agree on and that changes constantly. Some woman might want that junk out of her yard for free and you sell it for $2500, so whats it worth? One minute its worth nothing then its worth $2500. and the guy you sell it to may find someone who gives $6500. So whats it worth??? Answer: Its worth whatever you can get at that moment.

15. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

I wasn't asking what the parts worth I'm asking what parts are desirable and worth saving to sell, trade or give away. I'm not looking to get rich I'm looking to save vintage tin

16. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Post it on the FordBarn??

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

what parts are desireable from a Model A? I figure the only parts from a model A build that should be tossed are the cat turds you find under the seat. if it was a 32 I would say keep the turds as well.

18. carmuts

carmuts

I will be in Omaha some time in June for my daughters doc appointment with the neurosergon. I may turn this trip into a parts delivery trip also as I have 3 people in the Omaha area that have bought some larger items from me and have not been able to make the trip to pick the stuff up. I have tried twice to make the trip, but a snow storm ruined the first trip and I got the flu the night before the second attempt and spent the next 3 days in miserable shape at home. I also need to meet up with a guy in Colfax, Ia. to drop off a flathead. Rod

19. banjorear

banjorear

So true. I'm moving and was surprised how much stuff I gathered up. I priced it right (fair, but not Ebay level) and got rid of most of it.

It actually feels pretty good to get rid of clutter for you get caught up on my next project and your current one never gets finished.

I'm also a big trade guy. Here's why. You sell a part and now have the cash. If you aren't super disciplined, the cash goes toward something else and now you have no part and no cash.

By trading, both sides get something they want and everyone walks away happy. I'll sometimes post adds that state "Swap only, no cash sales". I've gotten a lot a traffic that way.

20. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

I sold a ton of stuff on here with in the last few months. Carmut if you'd like you can stop by and see if you need any parts

21. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

The most valuable stuff on an A is good to excellent sheet metal for commonly rodded models and frames with a title. Body hardware is also pretty sought after if really clean and functional. Nice '31 radiator shells are a premium. Model A people are really cheap because the cars are worth so much less than later Fords. Big and heavy is a bad combination with chassis parts, hardly worth the saving. Hope you don't find out how right I am: Fred A

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  22. carmuts

carmuts

If Dad buys the 31 coupe he is looking at there may be some stuff on the want list. I have not seen it yet and doubt I will be able to change his mind if I see any red flags. He seemed he had his mind made up, so there may be something. It sounds like I will be rebuilding the engine for him and depending on how correct things are, that may be the time to make changes. Rod

23. I had lots of stuff (drive train, front fenders etc..) left over and could not get much intrest in it, yes the fenders were pretty bad. finely got $300 for motor, fenders, trans, both axles and steering box with column. it just boils down to how long you want to hold on to the stuff.

24. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

I'm gonna do my best to store as much as possible. Ill list every thing on here and on ford barn.