Register now to get rid of these ads!

whats up with this center cap?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by noclubjoe, Nov 17, 2010.

1. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

eltigre.jpg did i search but all i found is old JC penny drag slicks and mini bikes that were "el tigre" ? i got this with a pair of Fenton Huslter III mags that i just bought. anyone have info or a match that they dont want? :D

2. J.C. Penny sold El Tigre wheels in the late 60's or early 70's.

3. BISHOP

BISHOP

Never seen those. I like'm.

4. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

thanks, good to know... what did the wheels look like? i assume like a 5 spoke 60's style mag wheel....?

5. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

Howdy neighbor!

Definitely Penneys brand... even before they added the J.C. prefex to their name. Their main warehouse headquarters is still located here in Milwaukee off of HWY 45 North, in between Capitol Drive and Burleigh streets.

El Tigre was a brand they used along with the Foremost A F/X name. El Tigre was their wheel and tire line. You could walk into a Penneys Department Store automotive center back in the day and buy anything for your hot rod... how cool was that! They sold everything from tachometers to cheater slicks and everything in between. They used the Foremost A F/X name for their speed equipment line.

I collect Penneys items. Here are a few pics from my collection.

PM me if you ever want to sell those caps!:D

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010
  6. noclubjoe

noclubjoe

wow! thanks, i had no i idea pennys sold that much stuff for cars back then.... sent you a pm by the way.

7. dmc3113

dmc3113

El Tigre wheels were made by Appliance Plating. They were direct knock offs of American 5 spokers and Ansen aprints.

8. Silverick

Silverick

9. 69tincanfairlane

69tincanfairlane
    from UYA

Definitely!

Most of Penneys stuff are knock offs.

My cheater slicks are the exact same as old M&H's, the only difference is the name stamped on the side.

I guess Penneys Corporate wanted their share of $ from the Hot Rod / Drag racing craze of the 1960's early /70's.

-Joe

10. Back in the 50's and early 60's there was a J.C. Whitney/Honest Charlie kinda parts store down town here. They had a fair amount of good stuff plus the usual barge parts. The young guy who ran the store was from the old neighborhood and was almost a cartoon 50's character. When that shop folded he went to Penneys and ran their auto department. I'm sure he didn't meet he corporate image and the parts area kinda started to look like the old store. Penneys folded that business eventually and the 50's guy disappeared. Heard he died in the 70's or 80's.

For the life of me I can't remember the name of the place.

Charlie

11. muskote

muskote

Hi all,

sorry for bringing up this old topic again.
    I stumbled over it while researching the net regarding my "el tigre" wheels.. :D
    I think these ones are torque trust copies sold by J.C. Penney in the late 60´s / early 70´s, with the correct caps attached.

They came to me on a 73´ Dodge D100 Adventurer SE.
    Found it in Pennsylvania and brought it over to Berlin, truck has just 20k original miles....
    I believe they were put on the truck by the dealer or right after sale....

regards muskote

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012