Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's up with swap meets

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by metalman, May 9, 2007.

1. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Went to a the first swapmeet of the season today. It's small but it's the first one, and it's a swapmeet. It's sponsored by the Model A club and usually is naturally very heavy with Model A and Ford parts. This year it seemed very different. They doubled the inside selling area and there seemed to be more diversified parts, more amateur vendors selling all kinds of parts. I was even able to buy some parts for my '37 Buick and found leads for more. I usually just go because it's five miles from my house and it's a swapmeet. I've never gone there with any great expectations of finding anything but this year was different.

2. hotrod32@usfamily.net

[email protected]
    from st paul

Heard the word, hoarders as per old guys are releaseing there thair saved stuff, for resonable prices only too be picked up by the new crop of hoarders man some of the trad stuff and rat rod stuff is %^&*()ing nutz but I,m sure the economy has some to do with it, I always believed stuff is worth what you can sell it for now the terms "gasser,or rat add 10k to stuff that people in the day would almost give away,found that the racers are just the same when you buy a race part use it and it dont work its worth 1/2 what ya payed or what the market will bring not more or the same as you payed for it newbys are hording also alot!!!! so a lot of you guys make the market what it is and then theres BJ aucton just my 2 cents

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Maybe it is time for a test: If you can remember the last two items you bought at a swapmeet, did you just put them on the shelf, sell them, or bolt them on a project? I'm going back to Hershey, and I'm 99% sure I resold the items I bought.

4. sawzall

sawzall

just bolted something on... (of course I bought it this morning!!)

5. Trust me, they still make grandkids just the same as always.

But swaps around Chicago are either defunct, or not worth going. One of the biggest and best shut down about 3 years ago (Model T club St. Charles swap).

Cosmo

6. All I can say is Hershey Fall Meet IS awesome! And if you can't find it there or make a connection to find it then it must be rare. I am going back this Fall for a couple days!!!

7. 1960CHEVY

1960CHEVY

It's the same up here in the Northeast. The Swap Meets are not what they used to be. As a self-confessed Hot Rod/ Drag Racing Parts Horder. I'm also part of the problem, as well as what all the other HAMBers have said on here.
    The Economy, Ebay, Barrett-Jackson, maybe even The Antiques Roadshow, the Internet, and all us Horders.

1)The Internet has made it easier for Lazy Bastards to search for all the great stuff in their PJ's or less....eeewwwwww.
    It also makes it easier for sellers not to have to drag their prized possessions all over creation to be possibly stolen, or damaged in transit to, from, or even at the meet.

2)The various Auctions have sent rare parts or car prices into the stratosphere. A correction in the market has already started. Just look at what some cars pulled just 2 years ago, and what they went for in January at Barrett-Jackson.

3)The Horders. I can only speak for myself. I have multiple vehicles that can be built in many directions. When I see something that looks cool, and has a shot at going on one of the cars or truck, I grab it. Some of the items are run of the mill stuff, but others are very rare. I'm not one of the All Original Builders. Numbers matching does nothing for me. Once you build it to those specs, you have to stop. I enjoy modifying and updating my stuff. So having a variety of cool old stuff to draw from makes for more unusual rides. I hope that clears up some of it, but I am part of the problem. hahaha

8. joburnsjo

joburnsjo

I think that most of the guys that set up at the meets around here have to pay to get a table and need a tax # and have to pay TAX on their sales which raises the prices so the back yard guys just leave their stuff on the shelves
    My club the Rochester street rod club is going to try to have a FREE swap meet no setup fee and no admission so may be the back yark guys will bring their stuff out the prices maybe be cheaper because they aren't making a living doing it Or have to sell to cover expenses ....... just cleaning the shop out

9. Slow55

Slow55

I also went to the Decatur, Texas Swap meet Saturday and had to wait in line to find parking. The entire Fairgrounds were full. It has been years since I have seen it that full with vendors and patrons. The weather being clear and in the low 60's had much to do with the turn out. 2010 prices are as they were last year. Most sellers are dreaming of early retirement. You can still find a few bargains if you take your time and comb through the piles. I found a new fuel sensor assembly for less than Internet or catalog prices and had more fun finding it.

10. oneredryderone

oneredryderone

i've been going to swapmeets since................bill harrah sent fellers w/ walkee talkee's--
    and a SHOPPING LIST--into HERSHEY with satchels of money, w/ a trailer 'warehouse' by the hotel!

back in the day, parts were THERE prices were FAIR------ YES things have changed!
    [my hairline, waistline, and my personal buying-power!]

BUT A SWAPMEET IS STILL A SWAPMEET!

ON MY BUCKET LIST---------FATHER'S DAY POMONA! [ as a spectator, getting purchases home is limited to carry-on-luggage!]

red ryder

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  11. Chuck Foster

Chuck Foster

The CHVA swap+show in Tucson is growing yearly. The late Oct. event ay S.I.R. race track is great. I'll post the dates when it gets closer. See Ya!