Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whats up with NO TITLES

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOT40ROD, Aug 4, 2007.

1. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

But 50 percent or more of the car, trucks and motorcycle I been looking at lately have NO TITLES. Anyone else notice this?

2. scarylarry

scarylarry

Ahhhh Yes. Now please make a point.

3. patgizz

patgizz
    from cleveland

you have to keep in mind.

- some states do not require titles for cars xxxx years and older.

- cars dragged out of fields and barns have been there for years and the kids/grandkids of the person that "owns" it who is now 6' deep underground have no idea where the title for that old pile of rust is

if you don't want a car without a title and the potential hassle in dealing with it, wait for one with a title and have fun with it.

4. tomslik

tomslik

yeah, i know the feeling...
    i've got a 62 chevy pu that's gonna be a trailer pretty soon cuz of the no title thing....
    i'm not too interested in a 150-200 dollar title for it....unless there's a parts track attached;)

5. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

there's a guy in texas that has a lot full of cars and box full of titles... he doesn't care if you buy the whole thing cause he figures he can sell the car for xxx dollars AND sell the title for xxx dollars..

6. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

I'm talking about my state PA. If there is no title it next to impossible to get them Register. I bought a bike that had no title and I can not get it titled. I had to walk away from alot of nice stuff because of No titles.

If its from another state and it needs a Title or Transferable registration. I have a bike from Arizona and the state told me I need a title for it. I have a notarized bill of sale but they will accept it.

Maybe it is easier in other states, but not in this one.

7. No titles is part and parcel of the old car hobby. It may sound obvious but don't buy a car without a title if you can't get it registered without one in your state. Sure it cuts down on potential projects but that's the way it goes.

8. HOT40ROD

HOT40ROD
    from Easton, Pa

I bought it online you can guess the site. The person I bought if from said he had all of the paper work. after i got it all I had was a notarized bill of sale.

Now I ask if it has a Title or transferable registration.

9. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I just heard today about the Lexus 32' Roadster. It's a high dollar rod, build by a rod shop up north (Frisco I believe) with all Lexus parts. Motor, trans and rear end. Rumor is it cost between $350-$450K.

Heard Toyota wanted it registered as a 32'. Car was taken to Nebraska, registered and brought back to Calif to get Calif registration.

Wonder if they told Nebraska how much that car was?

10. 52 HenryJ

52 HenryJ

In Kansas if it's a pre 49 all you need is a bill of sale and I got a builders Title for the J also.

11. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

My last 3 projects didn't have titles. 2 of the 3 were X race cars. I've lived in Florida and Arizona and the NY registrations have worked for me. I dont know how much longer before those dry up though.

12. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

you have to ask specifically about it before you buy. If not having one keeps you from buying fine. Cars without titles are far cheaper than with...

13. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Georgia didn't give the owners of NEW cars a title until well into the '60s. Bill of sale only, even from the local dealership.
    Today, cars and trucks 20 years old or older only need a bill of sale to be registered. To transfer out of state, Georgia's DMV has to do a background check on the car and then send a form to the new state.

-Brad

14. Move to New York. You can get a clean registration (Note that's REGISTRATON, not title) in NY with 2 DMV forms and the right proof of VIN and ownership. You don't even need to get them notarized. My '50 Chevy I transferred plates to using those forms a couple years ago. So easy it's not worth the effort to swap tags or anything. New York does not title cars 1972 and older.

Some guys in PA have no trouble getting titles on NY stuff - it all depends on where you go, I guess. Or use Broadway Title. What's $150 when you're registering a car these days?

15. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

WHich states do not require titles for old cars. I have been told NY is one that does not issue a title. makes it tougher to sell to an out of stater. what others

16. lolife

lolife

California has the laws in place to shut all that kind of activity down.

17. Terraizer

Terraizer

Titles get lost, and with most old cars the people just don't want to mess with geting one, they sell them and then sold agian. Most of the cars and truck i buy most don't ahve title comming off farms and such and i don't see aproblem, i stay away from 1970+ rigs with no titles, but the old ones a title with them is a nice plus but not that big of a deal to me unless its a runner driver.

18. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

New Hampshire won't issue titles on old cars either, caused a bunch of hassle when moving away with a couple legally registered rides which originally had titles surrendered to NH in the first place! But in the end, printed a form off NH's website, went to my new state's "disbelieving" DMV, they called a clerk in some small NH town to verify it, then created titles on the spot for 2 cars and a motorcycle.

Really though, most any state will issue a new title and VIN, you just gotta jump thru the hoops, pay a couple hundred in fees, have it inspected, and deal with waiting periods and mailed out paperwork. All in your level of dedication and willingness to have a rebuilders title.

19. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

A lot of good advise here. We've hashed this out many times and it all boils down to, don't buy it if it doesn't have a title. If you have it you may not want to proceed with the build until you figure out what to do. Your going to have to jump through a lot of hoops to get it done. You need to do a lot of research at this point. good luck.

20. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Another thing to be very aware of is MAKE SURE the title, bill of sale, brown paper bag with scribbling on it, has the CORRECT full description of the car or truck on it, that is:
    Make (Ford, Chevy, International, etc)
    Model (not Fairlane or Malibu,but body style like 2door, 4door, pickup, coupe, and so on)
    Year (1909, 1932, 1954 etc)
    AND THE ALL IMPORTANT Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), that may be the engine number(stamped into the block), body number(usually on a tag on the door post, firewall, glovebox door, floor) or chassis number(stamped into the frame rail).

Anytime a vehicle is transferred from State to State a physical check of the VIN is usually required by the receiving State to be performed by a State authorized agent or police officer.

Bills of Sale are best with Notary Public stamps and, in lieu of that, at least 2 witnesses signatures with printed names, addresses and phone numbers.

21. boozoo

boozoo

Indiana was pretty easy.... Needed bill of sale, VIN inspection form signed by a cop, and a state title search done on the VIN. With those three pieces of paper and $45, I had a title in hand in about 4 weeks.

22. And your state requires one, and makes it a hassle to get one, or you just don't want to be bothered in states where it's not hard to do.

23. diggers4life

diggers4life

I don't know if I believe that. It's not easy to get a title here.

24. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

They probably didn't tell us nebraskans shit! but who cares nebraska blows, i couldn't get my truck titled here, and didn't want to pay $200 for a title so i'm shippin' her off to the scrap yard, I didn't pay a dime for it though, didn't even have to take it to my house, it was delivered. So i'm not that bent out of shape, just sad to see her go. But i just got a model A that i don't need a title for, just the notorized bill of sale, which i got. so it's not so bad after all!

25. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

Two weeks ago I went to the local Texas County Tax office with a title and bill of sale from Arkansas. Twenty minutes and $63.50 later I had a title for my 46. The title came from an arkansas vendor and I had a jeweler make me an ID plate that I riveted on the door sill. Didn't need to because the clerk looked at the paperwork and asked if the ID number was on the car anywhere. I told her about the tag on the door sill and that was all she needed. Mostly depends on the clerk you draw at the time you go in.

26. Frosty21

Frosty21
    from KY

I kinda thought about doing the same thing with a '37 Chevy/Mix of parts that will eventually get built.

Just get any 30's or 40's light duty truck title with a vin# on it, dosn't matter what year or make, get one of those little brass tags made (locally) and just rivit it on the firewall.

27. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

It's very difficult to get a non titled car licensed in La. too. It took a year and a half for me to get the last one I bought without a titled registered. I've passed on several nice cars that didn't have titles due to the hassle. I do have a trick that has let me skip the physical inspection in the past though. In La. you have to register all cars within 30 days of purchase. It does not matter if they are projects or not, but you are suppose to get them on the books. If you do not do this, there will be a penalty charge when you do go to register the car. So, I go get the car registered but I tell them the car is not ready for tags as it needs some work. You do not need a physical inspection just to register the car. The registration is then put in my name. I go back some time later and say that I would like to get tags for my car (already registered in my name) and I show proof of insurance and they just give me the tags. I've done this successfully several times. Your milage may vary.

Doc.

28. old dirt tracker

old dirt tracker
    from phoenix

titlle conveys ownership with cars and real estate. the only things you have title to.you would not buy a house with out title insurance. would you buy a house on a bill of sale. i dont think so. any how the hassle of getting a title varys from state to state so buyer do your home work.

29. avenue

avenue

I, too, have a question about a no-title car. The last and only car I had to re-title was a junk-yard car so I wasnt worried about a PO claiming it as his/her own after I forked over so many dollars. Although, the car I have my eyes on now is a decent, sound, running desirable (to some) '60s car. Paying up to $200 to a title company for a new title isnt too big of a deal ONLY IF that $200 guarantees the PO cannot claim the car without compensating me what I payed for the car.

In texas, do I run the risk of the last registered owner, be it 25 years ago, claiming the car as his and he being able to simply take it away from me after I, honestly, bought the vehicle? Or is this what a company like Broadway Title protects against?

30. Doubt they did that in Nebraska, that is a pain in the ass state to register a car with no title.