Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What's this noise on start up?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Jan 1, 2022.

1. I had a sbc that I chased a similar sound for a long time. Me and all my buddies thought it had to be valve train. After I replaced most of the valve train trying to find it, I finally pulled the motor and tore it down. What I found was a forged TRW piston fixing to lose its skirt at the oil scraper ring. I’ll be interested to know what you find.

2. '34 Ratrod

'34 Ratrod

I absolutely hate the cold ever since I returned from the middle east where it was 135+ degrees fahrenheit every day I was there! I'll take the heat any day over the cold.

Balljoint, VANDENPLAS and loudbang like this.
  3. I don't know the specs right off, card is on the shop. Comp thumpr, I've used them probably 10 times. Small enough that it'll work with a stock converter. Never had an issue.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  4. Jokester

Jokester

In one pic there are no threads extending through the adjuster nut. The next pic looks like a normal amount of threads sticking through. Is that a symptom? Or did you just un-adjust the valves on one head?

.bjb

chryslerfan55 and Paul like this.
  5. That's 2 different engines. Just talking about retainers

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Looking at this picture, is that the one you are working on? It looks like metal flakes in the oil. Hope I'm wrong.
    Lloyds.jpg

7. Glenn Thoreson

Glenn Thoreson
    from SW Wyoming

Aha! A cam change, eh? Are you sure the valves are not hitting the tops of the pistons? Those retainers do look different. Something amiss with that (?). The fuel pump could be a possibility, too.

8. I have to ask you about the Cam sometime they have a tendency to
    Walk in or out & you have to put a Button at the end of the Cam
    To Prevent it.

Just my 3.5 Cents

Live Learn & Die a Fool

9. No that's a completely different head. The first picture is the head on the engine I'm working on.

10. X-cpe

X-cpe

I ain't 427 sleeper and it may be camera angle, but the #2 intake rocker looks like it may be cocked a little bit.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I didn't see this said (I don't think?) Push down on each rocker over the valve spring to see if one feels weak.

12. PhilA

PhilA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Hydro Tech

If it's a fresh reassembly... Yeah. Pull that head and check see if you've got valves kissing pistons. Gaskets are cheap.

Balljoint likes this.
  13. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The more I look at this picture, the more it looks like all the valves are adjusted yet their all closed. Maybe I'm lookin' too hard... :confused:o_O

14. X-cpe

X-cpe

#8 intake looks open.

15. Yeah it's misleading lol. I've rolled through all of them by hand in order. I'll be back in the shop tmrw to see if I can find anything, running out of time, got customers waiting.

chryslerfan55 and 427 sleeper like this.
  16. #2 intake looks like the rocker isn't centered on the valve stem to me.

17. Thanks Johnny, I'll give it a try tmrw

18. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Another thing to try as well. With cly at true TDC push on the push rod end of rocker to see if lifters are staying pumped.

19. I'll give it a look, thanks for the leads everybody

20. X-cpe

X-cpe

Have you taken the rocker off and checked the stud for a cut or rolled the push rod on a flat surface to check if is straight. Also take a large screwdriver and press against the retainer to see if you have any play in the guide.

chryslerfan55 and rbrewer like this.
  21. I checked the pushrods when I put it together. Fired up immediately, timing was 10 initial. Left header collector wasn't tight so it was loud as hell but I went on for about 15 minutes for break in. Shut it down, tightened the collector, checked a few things, fired it back up and the noise was there.

22. jaracer

jaracer

Years ago when I was turning wrenches at a Lincoln/Mercury dealer, I replaced a long block in a 67 or 68 Lincoln. It was a Ford rebuilt long block from Mendenhal Rebuilders the authorized Ford rebuilder in the St Louis area. When I started it up it had a knocking noise. After a lot of fiddling with it I found I could lessen the noise by shorting out one spark plug. We got the authorization to pull one head and I found a casting piece on the top of the piston that had never been ground off. It wasn't very big and it came right off with the tap of a chisel. No noise when it went back together.

23. X-cpe

X-cpe

There's your problem. Just loosen that collector back up.

24. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LOL! Just like turnin' up the radio!!! :D

X-cpe and hotrodjack33 like this.
  25. To really be sure the valves are set right, try the adjusting running while hot method. With valve cover removed, engine idling, loosen each rocker until it clicks. Tighten just until clicking stops, that is zero flash. Tighten 1/2-3/4 turn and repeat for all. Yes oil will splash out a bit. If you have an old valve cover, cut out the top around ends and intake side, bend up along exhaust side. Works great to catch the oil.
    Once done, some dollar store cheap oven cleaner makes easy clean up of any oil mess.
    The setting while running will help diagnose if a lifter is stuck, or may help figure out another valvetrain issue.

chryslerfan55 and 427 sleeper like this.
  26. I can wiggle the springs around. And you can move the oil shields around easy. Doesn't seem right... :confused:

27. Do you think they might have some of the springs mixed ?
    The ones for the rotators are shorter .

Tommy

28. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised Tom. I was told that it had been rebuilt. From this point forward, the word "rebuilt" only means "core" to me lol

Dan Timberlake and unfinished like this.
  29. squirrel

squirrel

Yeah, they're usually worth their weight in scrap iron. But sometimes you get lucky.