Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What's this noise on start up?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lloyd's paint & glass, Jan 1, 2022.

1. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I believe adjusting the valves with it running, a person would notice the noise change when that one was adjusted. ;):rolleyes:. Oh thats right you didn't adjust them running did you.:D

427 sleeper and ClayMart like this.
  2. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Well shit. I'm glad you found it, but I've got a similar noise in a totally different engine that I've been trying to track down without tearing it apart. I've already changed the upper valvetrain completely, so that's not it. I think mine is a wrist pin or cracked piston skirt, because the Ford 300 has a reputation for that.

Once again, happy for you that it was so obvious.

mad mikey and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

yup cool... I bet it was quiet before because the rocker never traveled past the wear, now with more lift on the new cam made it go past the lip on the wear.... good catch....

4. Well I broke a plug, and can you believe there's not 1 spark plug anywhere around here. But I'm trying to get it fired back up on 7. Missing plug is on #1. I'll be back

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I broke a plug today also, had to rob one from the race car. :)

6. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

35606BAE-6AB2-49BD-A243-7C38B2149871.jpeg

8. Sum bitch won't start. Wants to, but it won't. Now the starter is hot and doesn't wanna help out the cause. Serious question here, I switched all of the rockers to the self aligning flavor. I drilled out the pushrod holes like I was told. Adjusting valve lash, I went down to zero lash, then went half turn, but I noticed that when I preloaded them, you could see the valve spring compress. Might sound stupid, but isn't that fucked up? That means no compression. So should I try zero lash, no preload, then see if it changes? How about I pour gas all over it and set it on fire? Oh! I know! How about I just start over, and build a completely new engine instead of fucking with junk?? My head hurts, and nothing got painted today. Bad business model...

9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

%÷*("-@×mf/*#@*&"×"!!!

loudbang and hotrodjack33 like this.
  10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

That's common so don't freak out just yet. It ran before. Now, are the slots long enough with these new rockers you installed?

11. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Time to break out your modified VC and loosen them up to zero lash and then adjust them with it running! :D

12. Davesblue50

Davesblue50

What ever happened to all those spring clips we used in the 70s that loose clamped over the pushrod end of the rocker to deflect the oil while adjusting? Haven't seen those in a while.

13. squirrel

squirrel

no need to adjust them running...just let it sit a minute and the valves will close again.

14. Who knows.. probably not

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  15. Don't guess I get it

16. squirrel

squirrel

I've never had an issue with adjusting the rockers to get preload, the engine always runs when I'm done working on it.

6sally6 and ottoman like this.
  17. Touche

chryslerfan55 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  18. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Did you remove the coil wire to bump over installing rockers? Hiding behind the tunnel ram ;)

427 sleeper likes this.
  19. No I have a jumper with an alligator clip on it.

20. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did you have the intake off when you drilled the head's? Distributor might be a tooth or two off... If you didn't have it off, we never had this conversation. This message will self destruct... :D;):cool:

21. Yeah I had it all apart. I double checked it, everything is right as far as the distributor. I don't know what's up with it. Kinda like revisiting that fucking 57 Chevy. I told Ash that I'm just gonna pull it out. She told me to let it go for now and just get my elco on the road, I built that engine, I know it's right.

chryslerfan55 and Johnny Gee like this.
  22. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is there a Pertronics module in that didtributor? Askin' for a friend... :rolleyes::eek:;)

hotrodjack33 and Moriarity like this.
  23. I believe it's pertronix, not sure.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  24. It's firing, it's right there, but the starter is shot i believe

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  25. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Damned hocus pocus modern electronic crap....

26. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well Shit!!! If it ain't one fuckin' thing, it's another... :rolleyes:

27. tomcat11

tomcat11

Here you go;
    20220110_171549.jpg

28. Witchcraft