Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's the worst that can happen...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jim Lohman, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Jim Lohman

Jim Lohman
    from Colorado

Seen a few pics of users rides and other Google pics of installed MII x-members. I have the correct x-member for my ride, frame is square, straight, etc, body fit to mounts good etc. But I have to recess my x-member into my frame bout half inch per side to fit. So the hat does not sit as in the hat on the left but kind of like the hat on the right. So, what's the worst that can happen?
    Jim

Attached Files:

• MII.JPG
      MII.JPG
      File size:
      24.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The top of the hat has to be X inches from the lower control Arm pivot point. I'll pm you the instructions I got with my "universal" kit that might help you figure it out.

3. Jim Lohman

Jim Lohman
    from Colorado

Thanks, I'll look for it.

4. Jim Lohman

Jim Lohman
    from Colorado

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Steering arms on the rack will have to be shortened, check for coil spring clearance. if the kit is from the same people you used in the illustration bearings may not fit the stub axles without emery cloth polishing.

6. Jim Lohman

Jim Lohman
    from Colorado

As this is the second installation, I did notice the tie rods seemed too long.

7. metalman

metalman

The kit is made to fit your frame but doesn't??? I'd be contacting whoever sold you the kit and ask them what's up with that. Regardless, unless you narrow the crossmember you will have to space the hats out. Like someone above said the pivit points of the upper a arm in relation to the lower is critical. Again, unless you've narrowed the lower C/M the rack should still fit unless the kit was designed for a narrow rack. FYI the pivit balls that hook the tie rods to the rack must align with the pivit points of the upper & lower arms. In other words if you draw an imaginary line between the upper and lower a arm pivits the rack balls should be in that line while centered

8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The distance (measurement) from the lower control arm pivot point to the top of the slotted section where the upper control arm is bolted is critical.

I make many different MII kits including a universal and will run out and get the measurement for you......

Got it, copied from my instruction manual. Measurement you need at the front and rear of the top hat. This will give you the required angle to the top tower front to rear which is the built in anti-dive.

It also gives the required distance for the top hat from the lower pivot point. Add or subtract metal from your top towers to get what you need.

In case you have trouble reading it, 8 7/8" Rear and 9 1/4" Front.
    Larry.

Attached Files:

9. Jim Lohman

Jim Lohman
    from Colorado

Excellent, thank you!

10. Jim Lohman

Jim Lohman
    from Colorado

So if I inset the cross member into the frame I should space the hat out by that same dimension?

11. metalman

metalman

Yes, if I understand what your doing right. The hats must stay in the same relationship to the crossmember as the manufacture designed it, assumeing of course they have the geometry correct. Blue One's measurements are good to have for setting the vertical distance of the hat in relation to the C/M but you need the width measurement of the lower control arm pivit holes to the center of the hat. I use to know all these measurments by heart but it's been so long since I've done this type of work I don't remember. Maybe Blue One can pitch in with the measurement you need.
    img066.jpg

12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I'll take a look at my drawings when I get home, can't pull the number out of my head :)